Double & triple posts

The site only has double or tripple posts if people click the reply button twice or three times.

When its running slowly, people click the button again - which adds another thing to the queue of items to process, slowing the site down further and will ultimately post their reply again....

Example:

I post my text.

Receive error 408 after 60sec delay.

Press back to retrieve my text as I have been informed the server did not respond.

So I post again in the hope the server responds.

Error 408 again.

Repost

Error 408.

Give up and presume my post has not been accepted to find its been received multiple times.

So if I receive error 408 the post has been received yet being informed otherwise??

If the browser hangs upon submitting, click back and then select preview instead of submit again: it refreshes faster 99% of the time and you can see instantly if your first submission went through, as it'll give you the 'A new post has been made, you may want to review...' message.

At the moment some people my be seeing that. Whats actually happening is there appears to be a rogue query or table item within the database that whenever it is being run, locks up other queries behind it until it has finished doing whatever it is.

At that point all the other backed up queries (like people wanting to post, or read a page) get run in the blink of an eye.

Currently trying to find what it is thats causing this, as it has been fine for quite some time, and then suddenly started misbehaving.

To be fair the way we have modified phpbb3 from its original out of the box state, its a wonder its not happened sooner. We will find it and fix it though.

A move to a different platform more in keeping with the size of this board has not been ruled out - but we know how people like the look and feel of this site, so we arent rushing into that option.

Personaly I like the way the forum is set out.

Why change something that isn't broken?

Okay we're having minor glitches now and again, but does the front end visuals really matter. I've seen a lot worse on the net and I think the functionality and visuals are fine.

The spurs forum i am on has just had a major refresh and I like the look of it :thumbs: spurscommunity if anyone wants to have a look...

To be honest I use tapatalk 99% of the time so the forum looks cool on my iPhone or tablet but if I load it at work or on my PC it looks a tad old :surrender:

Okay we're having minor glitches now and again, but does the front end visuals really matter. I've seen a lot worse on the net and I think the functionality and visuals are fine.

I bet you still have one of those new fangled VHS recorders :lol:

My VHS recorder died a fair few years ago and moved onto DVD. But now I use this thing called Sky+ it's great you can record things really easily now :thumbs:

My VHS recorder died a fair few years ago and moved onto DVD. But now I use this thing called Sky+ it's great you can record things really easily now :thumbs:

Steady on there grandad :surrender:

Anyway stop arguing, haven't you got something to polish :lol:

Funny enough I'm at work at long last so polishing in the evenings now.

I do most of my polishing in the evenings too ;)

Good news on the work front :yahoo:

Oh if your boss is looking over your shoulder then I have no idea who this Wasso guy is and he hardly ever comes on this forum during work hours.... honest :teeth:

we are looking in to the server issues that is causing the slow times

The thread wasn't started to cause any hassle as I know everyone has a day job, I just found it amusing that people were posting 2/3 times.

Maybe you need to put a little sign next to submit like on banking forms that says 'Press this button only once, if you press it more than once you may look a tool' :lol: