Fist upgrade £200-£300

Jakedd

Hello,

Looking for some advice on what people's opinions would be on the first upgrade to my 05 zed.

I'm looking for noise most importantly then hp.

So options at moment are...

Japspeed tubular manifold

K&n typhoon kit

Decat pipes

Or

I've heard some good things about plenum spacer

What are people's thoughts?

I'm aiming to save up a bit to get one of these and I find it easier when I got a particular item in mind but I'm torn at the moment, ha.

Thanks

Jake

I would not bother with the manifold :shrug:

For noise I would go for the Typhoon or a JTW Pop Charger and some decats or HFC's (don't forget you all have to take the decats off every time you have an MOT), then get the rest of the Zorst done when you can.

You won't see much difference with a plenum unless you get a remap

:thumbs:

Hi Jake,

I'm going to be putting my K & N induction kit up for sale, PM me if your interested and i can sort some details for you. This was my first mod on my car when it was stock and the sound is brilliant :teeth:

Cheers,

Greg

:#1:

Noise definitely :thumbs:

Power... Meh!

It feels faster as it makes more noise but trust me you have no more power, a bit like when you strap a playing card to the back wheel of a bike, it then sounds like a motorbike but it is still a raleigh chopper :lol:

Haha i know what i felt! It was the power of a hundred horses!

It may not have added back breaking bhp (certainly added some) but the car just feels... Better now. Mind you i probably gained about 150bhp since the previous owner had one of those alfords ripspeed intakes. The thing didnt even fit....

Its not a typhoon i have, but ill send you some pics when i get home.

As for noise etc. im now running with decats and MD XYZ y-pipe which really is noisy but i think for engine sound the induction kit sound brilliant. As i said i put it on a stdard car and loved every minuted of it :p

Exhaust sound on a full decat system is something else though and i ended up putting the HFC back in the XYZ y-pipe 'cos stright throught was just too much for me :lol:

Also I didn't think it was hard to fit really. only took hour or so and I'm happy to lend a hand if anyone needs it.

Noise definitely :thumbs:

Power... Meh!

It feels faster as it makes more noise but trust me you have no more power, a bit like when you strap a playing card to the back wheel of a bike, it then sounds like a motorbike but it is still a raleigh chopper :lol:

Haha i know what i felt! It was the power of a hundred horses!

It may not have added back breaking bhp (certainly added some) but the car just feels... Better now. Mind you i probably gained about 150bhp since the previous owner had one of those alfords ripspeed intakes. The thing didnt even fit....

But the Nissan ecu resets to a default power level regardless of modifications, intakes, exhausts etc will only add power to the Zed if you get a remap ontop of it to over ride it.

Ripspeed intakes, on a Zed, good grief.

I have recently been into Abbey MS and had a remap done (as you said otherwise not worth changing exhaust etc). That really made the difference to power delivery but having changed back to the std air box , Hf panel and velocity stack the higher rev induction noise is greatly reduced (ignoring exhaust noise).

Dont get me wrong though i F***ing love the bark when you step on it with the set-up i have now but its taken a little while to get there :lol:

I have a pop charger and a modified stock airbox with a cosworth filter and I change them over now and again when I'm bored. For example I put the stock one on for Wales as I knew I would have Zeds all around me so making lots of noise wasn't really worth worrying about, but instant response was :drive:

I have to say though when I got back I put my faithful PC back on as I am addicted to that bark when you bury your foot in the carpet :cloud9: who cares if it hesitates, it gives other a chance to see what they hear :lol:

Changed mine from standard to Cosworth and felt nothing - gave it a slightly different sound but marginal.

Spending £30 on an air filter, on a car running circa 250bhp on average, is not going to make a noticeable difference. I challenge anyone to tell me they can notice a 1-2bhp change on a 250bhp car...

...anyway, the car will reset to factory default power anyway, without the uprev, this will prevail over any power adding mods.

Regarding all these mods, people are saying you wont feel diff unless remapped, surely an air filter will still have an impact without the remap?

The small impact yes, a remap is more for the plenum spacer or HFCs for example. As already stated and small gain will be dialed out by the ECU though unless remapped...

Most upgrades like cai, plenum spacer, hfc's etc etc the sum is greater than the parts you need the full set to get anything worth comparing