Lexx and Martins little build project.

martinmac

The A team are back together and I know I have been a bit quiet but this is what we have been up to.

The days of relaxing on the Thames are over and we are having to work for a living for a change. The tug has moved to Scotland so we just about got out of the way before the south east started flooding. :teeth:

The quality of the pics atent great as they are often taken through the bridge windows whilst driving.

Hoepfully, for those who are interested they will give you the idea. :)

So first you have to dig a few holes and take the mud and rocks away.

CIMG0184.jpg

CIMG0183.jpg

CIMG0180.jpg

Then the rather large caissons arrive on the scene and the real work starts.

CIMG0197.jpg

CIMG0192.jpg

Then its a matter of getting the crane barge into position to start lifting. The large caisson weighs 1300 tonnes and the crane can only lift 650 tonnes so its all clever stuff.

download1.jpg

Can you tell what its going to be yet. :)

In one. :thumbs:

To lift 1300 tonnes the caisson is submerged to 7 m which drops the weight to 850 tonnes.

Airbags then lift it to 650 and the jobs a good one. Very clever stuff though.

The finished product should look like this.

max-364765.jpg

The old bridge is 140m high, this one is 220m. I dont like heights. :scare:

In one. :thumbs:

To lift 1300 tonnes the caisson is submerged to 7 m which drops the weight to 850 tonnes.

Airbags then lift it to 650 and the jobs a good one. Very clever stuff though.

The finished product should look like this.

max-364765.jpg

The old bridge is 140m high, this one is 220m. I dont like heights. :scare:

Impressive, I wouldn't want to be in charge of the maths, get it wrong and watch the crane keel over and sink!!

The use of Cassion's has been round for a very long time, simple(Ish) ideas are alway the best ones.

220m, wow!

.... 3...2...1.....bungee........

is it my imagination or is Zedley smiling just a bit too much cos Strew's finger is where it shouldn't be :scare::)

Zedley came for a look mate....

DSC02241.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps thats why people keep him so long, the old "I posted him last week" chestnut :lol:

• 6 months later...

Just getting back into action after the Xmas shutdown and it looks like we are going to be busy. The weather is oretty challenging at the moment, strong winds make moving this big stuff a little challenging.

The three main caissons are now in place. Once they have been landed another caisson is fitted on top. Cement is then poured into cofferdams in the rim. This gives it additional weight and strengthens it.

The two dredging barges with large cranes and grabs then start to dig out the centre of the caissons to allow them to sink.

Hemi on the way out to the spoil ground with a split barge.

IMG_0192_zpsdf68dd28.jpg

We are back to using the floating crane for the big lifts again soon.

photo3_zps3daeaf37-1_zps60731f42.jpg

Beamer rock is now pretty much enclosed by caisson sections, 8 are in and only two remain, I will get some more and better shots up soon now there is more to see.