Potential 350z owner????

Hi I'm Callum

I have a budget of around £8000 to purchase a new car, I currently drive a BMW Z3 but am now looking to upgrade. I have been looking at the 350Z for a while but I'm struggling to make my mind up. The looks are great and I'm guessing the power is too but what about everyday practicality, I'm 23 and the insurance is surprisingly not that bad so I am very interesting in owning a 350Z but I just need some reassurance and I thought the best place to come for that would be to ask the people that own and drive a 350Z on a daily basis, thats where you guys come in, so please help me with any good advice you can offer to someone who is more than likely going to buy one in the forseable future.

Thanks for your help

Callum :)

welcome! :wave:

Everyday practicality is absolutely fine for me - pretty sizeable boot is plenty to swallow enough bags for a week long roadtrip, and the fuel consumption and fuel tank means you can go 350 miles between fill ups, and return about 28mpg overall, which aint too bad at all considering the power.

As for driving it, is a very relaxed affair - i find very little wind noise and acceptable levels of tyre roar, and the long gearing and good torque means you can quite happily cruise at 2500rpm but still accelerate without dropping a gear. definitely more a GT car than a sports car - my only drawbacks are its a bit heavy and the engine doesnt seem to particularly like revving out the redline, but grip and brakes are good.

interior is good if you go for a GT spec - lovely leather seats and good driving position, plus all the toys you'd need.

If it helps, I absolutely love mine!

Hi Callum

Welcome along, I have only had my Zed for a couple of weeks but it is my daily driver and work horse, in the short time I have owned Roxy, I have done the best part of 2K miles in her from driving in London to open roads and hve been very pleased, for sure there are some down sides, rear three quarter vision is not that good, clutch is heavy in traffic, has a high biting point which can make me look like a plonker when pulling of sometimes, fuel mpg is ok given the size of engine, boot size is good enough for me, handling is enjoyable, roadholding is entertaining, brakes are up to the task.

All in all I am over the moon with my purchase, its just what i was looking for, never had a jap car before and I was not expecting german build quality and yes I was right but at this moment in time I would not give Roxy up for anything.

Anthony.

If I'm honest the fuel consumption is the main drawback for me but by the sounds of it even this aint too bad, I'm in a 1.9i bmw z3 which costs me £55 to fill and this would typically last two weeks with me driving to work (2miles) and back, gym and shopping, how does this compare against the 350z, Obviously I understand the Z will not return the same fuel economy as my Z3 but how much will it change etc how much does it cost to fill a Z.

Thanks

If I'm honest the fuel consumption is the main drawback for me but by the sounds of it even this aint too bad, I'm in a 1.9i bmw z3 which costs me £55 to fill and this would typically last two weeks with me driving to work (2miles) and back, gym and shopping, how does this compare against the 350z, Obviously I understand the Z will not return the same fuel economy as my Z3 but how much will it change etc how much does it cost to fill a Z.

Thanks

I have a 72 mile round trip to work and back and then some other site and circuit visits, according to the onboard computer thingy, the best I have managed so far is 34.6mpg, how accurate this is, I have no idea but in comparison to my last daily driver which was a 330ci the Zed is worse, the payback though is the fun much more of it in the Zed against the ci.

I never see above 20mpg, last tank was over 100 quid.

For short journeys the zed will drink fuel. 3.5litre engine was never going to be economical. Even driving like a granda it guzzles. What's the point in buying a sports car to do this and actually have no enjoyment out of your money? It is a nice place to be but nowhere near as comfortable as a closest rival bmw 3 series coupe. As a work horse I wouldn't recommend it. As a weekend toy you won't get much better for your cash

For short journeys the zed will drink fuel. 3.5litre engine was never going to be economical. Even driving like a granda it guzzles. What's the point in buying a sports car to do this and actually have no enjoyment out of your money? It is a nice place to be but nowhere near as comfortable as a closest rival bmw 3 series coupe. As a work horse I wouldn't recommend it. As a weekend toy you won't get much better for your cash

You must be driving the wheels off it the only get 20mpg or its tuned, mine is bog standard and I enjoy it as my daily driver, whether thats driving it like a grandad or a twenty year old. The seats are as comfortable as my old 330ci's, tyre noise and ride are dependent on road surface. I would say it's more a sports tourer than sports car, great for munching motorways. Good value for money though.

You must be driving the wheels off it the only get 20mpg or its tuned, mine is bog standard and I enjoy it as my daily driver, whether thats driving it like a grandad or a twenty year old. The seats are as comfortable as my old 330ci's, tyre noise and ride are dependent on road surface. I would say it's more a sports tourer than sports car, great for munching motorways. Good value for money though.

Only a bit. I averaged 20mpg over 400 miles @65-70mph on my way to japfest.

My record so far is 6.2mpg average on a tank :lol:

I think I will be definitely getting a 350Z then, I think for the power you are getting against the price there is no other better option. How are they for parts is this an expensive aspect when it comes to servicing etc. At first I really wanted a black one but I feel like I'm more attracted to the gun metal type colour!!

I averaged 20mpg over 400 miles @65-70mph on my way to japfest.

My record so far is 6.2mpg average on a tank :lol:

:scare: You do know its got 6 gears right? :p

Lol that was 6th driving like a granda, no showing off or nothing.

Zmanalex had his down at 4mpg I'm sure but he has TT and injectors the size of my cylinders lol

Even before she was tuned I only ever seen around 28mpg. Bare in mind the Pre rev up, revup and hr all have different consumption

Hello there i have had my z for a week. i have done about 650 miles to £120 of fuel (still have between quater and half a tank left in her). I went from a 325 m sport to my 350z And i wont be looking back at all, Its my daily driver and find the fuel is not as bad as i thought. The car for me is great i also have a little problem with road and wind noise but the engine note and sound system make up for it :D