I can't fully make up my mind...

Cragus

...but after four years, I feel it might finally be time to move on from my zed. I felt like this about a year ago before pushing on with modifications. I love my zed to bits, especially now it looks exactly the way I want it to but I am getting the urge to cheat on it more on more over the last few weeks.

I would love a GTR but can't afford to keep one, considered a 370z but feel like it's not a big enough change to warrant the sale of my 350z and am now toying with the idea of a Lotus S2 Exige.

So my question to you is do you have any experience of owning an Exige and have any useful comments? I imagine tax, insurance, petrol and tyres will be cheaper and it to be almost as equally fun as the zed.

Any advice appreciated.

Fantastic car the exige. I would say probably more fun than the zed but a hell of a lot less practical.

Why not have a drive of one and see what you think.

I have emailed Murray Lotus to do just that mate. I don't think practicality bothers me too much as I will always have a shed for that. :thumbs:

The chassis on the S2 is phenomenal, not alot can handle like they can. An Exige S is a bloody good car, they are pretty fast but can be driven VERY fast. You will be surprised the speeds you can take corners.

I used to own a VX220 which is the same chassis as the Exige and the zed just feels like a huge barge in comparison. I probably wouldnt have sold my VX and ended up with a zed if I didnt need something more practical. Its a different driving style too being mid engine rear wheel drive and the engines are revvier too. They also have so much presence on the road for such a small vehicle. Personally if switching back to one of those cars id go with a Honda engined S1 Exige possibly supercharged too, but they are rare and £££.

I can only suggest you test drive one and see what you think.

Is a Noble something you might be interested in also?

I reckon your mind is almost made... A test drive in an S2 will not dissapoint.

I have driven a friends (supercharged) Exige and I'm and ex-VX220 Turbo owner - the unassisted steering feel is like nothing else. Performance for the Exige really is a step on from a VX/Elise, although I'm not sure you could really eek that out on the road.

Harness, semi-slick's and a real sense of theatre every time you drive it.

Go for it and let us all know how it compares :thumbs:

Another ex-VX®220 owner here. :wave:

If you can live with the possibility of ice inside the windscreen in the winter, then there's no reason not to get one. Every journey is an adventure, and it's a proper driving experience that makes the Zed feel like a bus. You mention about one being almost as equally fun as the 350: It's not, it's waaaay more fun. All parts are cheaper than on the Zed, so running costs are minimal, and there's a mass of aftermarket parts out there for them.

S or non-S Exige?

If you can live with the possibility of ice inside the windscreen in the winter

Oh yes, those mornings were fun... :lol:

The heater takes sooooooo long to clear an iced interior... or to simply demist for that matter.

To paraphrase Mr Clarkson describing Lamborghini's of old: the blower (heater) is like an asthmatic blowing at you through a straw from the other side of the dashboard!! Cough, cough...

One of my mates had an exige and the only two complaints he had were:

1) It cost a lot in fuel as he couldnt keep his foot off the accelerator becuase it was too much fun :teeth:

2) He only had it a few months because he ended up with back pain from the seating position and getting in and out. He basically had to commando roll out of it in the end :lol:

It really is a seriously cool car though, go-kart for the road!

The Exige and the VX220 turbo are 2 cars ive always fancied owning. When I used to supervise track days at Rockingham race track many years back, the race school there had about a dozen Exiges they used to use and watching them go around the track was incredible.

I did my race licence test at Bedford in a VXT, was the sheddiest thing I've ever driven: It was like stirring a bucket of bricks trying to find a gear, they were definitely well-used! :lol:

Wasn't too bad for me though as I was obviously used to driving them, but the guys who had come down in their FWD hatches had a bit of a shock. Thought that was a bit harsh myself.

Hey guys,

I have been on to Lotus Murray to get them to consider what kind of a trade in they would give me so I can start thinking about numbers. Everybody seems very positive - I will hopefully look at getting a test drive booked - I think it is going to be the non-s Ekona as the price difference seems substantial.

The only thing is, I may have to go a year or two older than my zed to get a decent lotus. It seems silly to go for something older with slightly higher mileage but I don't think the recession is effecting lotus cars as badly :lol:

As for the zed - it has only done 38k and has more mods on it than I dare think about. If I can bring myself to strip it and put it back to standard there might be a mahoosive PART OUT sale. :lol:

Hey guys,

I have been on to Lotus Murray to get them to consider what kind of a trade in they would give me so I can start thinking about numbers. Everybody seems very positive - I will hopefully look at getting a test drive booked - I think it is going to be the non-s Ekona as the price difference seems substantial.

The only thing is, I may have to go a year or two older than my zed to get a decent lotus. It seems silly to go for something older with slightly higher mileage but I don't think the recession is effecting lotus cars as badly :lol:

As for the zed - it has only done 38k and has more mods on it than I dare think about. If I can bring myself to strip it and put it back to standard there might be a mahoosive PART OUT sale. :lol:

I wouldnt bank on getting a decent part ex value. Ive just been offered 9grand for my 2007 313 GT Roadster, which has nearly every factory option you could get on it, when ive seen 2008 ones with half the spec up for sale for £14999. Its the peak of summer and convertibles are flying off forecourts like mad.

One of the problems is that the "glasses" guide nearly all car dealers use does not recognize the 313 model, so it assumes all 2007->2009 zeds are the basic 296bhp model. Other car price guides such as parkers and whatcar recognize the 313 model and are suggesting that in my case my car is actually worth nearer 11grand as a trade in - but try telling car dealers that.

I'm in a similar situation at the moment, i sold the 350Z when we got our first house and have been looking at replacing it ever since, i did consider another 350Z,Evo or WRX STi but have now decided on either a 370Z or S2 Elise 111S.

370Z's are still a little to much for me and i dont think i can justify the running costs compared to an Elise. I'm looking at a 2004/05 K series 111S for around £14k.

One of me bezzy mates has an Exige and really likes it .......... and he drives like a bit of a girl and still hasnt taken it on track in over year, if he likes it then youd love it I expect :D

Only real issues are that its posivitely dangerous in standing water, the heater needs sorting if it hasnt been done already and its an expensive ballache and hes scared to park it anywhere in case it gets damaged :surrender:

This is outweighed by the awesome handling, incredible noise when VTEC kicks in yo! and people taking pictures of it everywhere he goes :D

Only real issues are that its posivitely dangerous in standing water,

lolwut

It's no more dangerous than any other car ever made in the entire world in standing water. If you're running the OEM A048s then you need to be a bit careful, but that's just common sense and equally applies to folks running R888s on their Zeds. I never had a single issue with the VXR220 on 48s ever.

Also it doesn't have VTEC, it has VVTLi ;)

lolwut

It's no more dangerous than any other car ever made in the entire world in standing water. If you're running the OEM A048s then you need to be a bit careful, but that's just common sense and equally applies to folks running R888s on their Zeds. I never had a single issue with the VXR220 on 48s ever.

VVTLi kicked in yooooo!

I'm in a similar situation at the moment, i sold the 350Z when we got our first house and have been looking at replacing it ever since, i did consider another 350Z,Evo or WRX STi but have now decided on either a 370Z or S2 Elise 111S.

370Z's are still a little to much for me and i dont think i can justify the running costs compared to an Elise. I'm looking at a 2004/05 K series 111S for around £14k.

When I move on from the Zed, perhaps another year or so, I might consider an Elise also... or a VXR220? Nothing against the 350 I just appreciate different cars and would love to go back to that type of vehicle.

The Elise range has always confused me... what is the fundamental difference between the 111R and 11S?

In short:

S1 111S had a 1.8 K-series motor

Early S2 111S was the same but in the newer body, same lump

111R was the 1.8 Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine, 189bhp

111S after that was the 1.8 Toyota 1ZZ-FE engine, 138bhp

Very confusing.

lolwut

VVTLi kicked in yooooo!

Doesnt sound quite the same though, does it :D

vtec2.jpg

I disagree with Ekona on the tyres thing :scare::lol: TBH, I found my old S13 on DO1J's was @*!# scary in the wet and Id struggle to do more than 30mph without it aquaplaning, my good friend Bind tells me his Exige is the same. Could be him being a poove, could be geometry, could be anything, Im just telling you what he told me. :nod:

In short:

S1 111S had a 1.8 K-series motor

Early S2 111S was the same but in the newer body, same lump

111R was the 1.8 Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine, 189bhp

111S after that was the 1.8 Toyota 1ZZ-FE engine, 138bhp

Very confusing.

Depending on what you want the 111S is lighter and has more low down grunt where as the 111R is heavier with its servo brakes, ABS and high revving 190bhp Toyo engine which some say is a little lacking low down in the revs. The 160bhp K series on paper seems the best to me, it produces more power, less emissions and better mpg then an early 120bhp K series and the later 135bhp Toyo engined Elise.

Lotus S2 Exige is an awesome little car! We have one in for some upgrades at the moment :thumbs:

We have loads of Lotus customers and a lot of the older guys do complain about lower back issues resulting from getting into and out of their cars.

Great weekend toys but not sure I could live with one everyday :thumbs: