Volvo T5 questions

Leeroy

It's time to get a more practical second car and after weighing up the options the Volvo V50 T5 is topping the list, I like the semi Q-Car status.

The brief that I gave myself is to get as much new car as possible for £6K-ish, that is also a decent steer.

My preferred option would be an E91 BMW 335i or B7 Audi S4 but that'd mean selling the Zed, and despite it making sense to do that I'd like to keep it awhile. So, for me, it's boiled down to Vovo T5's, SAAB Aero's and Octavia VRS's.

I'm aware that the V50 T5 is a decent car, being based on the Focus chassis and all, but does anyone here have experience of them? Part of the attraction of the low cost is that I could make a few choice mods to the exhaust, suspension and engine....

i personally like the saabs over the volvos

There isn't much in it is there, although I prefer the Volvo styling and from what I've read the chassis is better. I ran a GM900 Turbo shed (HPT version) for awhile and it was a quick thing, but sadly the ditchfinders and crap suspension limited the experience somewhat :lol:

AMG Merc or biggish BMW not tickle your fancy though? :shrug:

They definitely do, I'd love a C63 one day. I'm not keen keen on older Mercs though.

I want an estate so the M3's out, as I say if the Zed went the 335i would be a contender :D

Back on track - this is all about the T5!

I owned about 4 Saab 95's starting from a 2.3T and then moving onto 3 Aero 95's and I never thought I would ever get another car.

As a second hand buy they are unbeatable as they drop value like a stone. I picked up a 4 year old 95 Aero for just over 7K at the time for a car which was over 25K new is unbelievable.

Got it chipped and a car which does 0-60 in around 5 seconds and only insurance group 16 and comfort is superb. Best leather seats for comfort I have ever sat in to be honest. It's a mile cruncher of a car.

I really like the brand new shape 95's, look enormous though.

So I would say as long as you don't hope to resell in the very near future then go for a Saab every day of the week.

That last one I bought for 7k, I took right up to 140k miles plus and sold for 2.5k when I bought my 350Z a couple of years ago.

Cough. :D

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3922910.htm

No more, I promise. :D

Haha, tempting B)

It's a lot of car the cash and the mileage isn't bad either - the E91 Beemers and S4's I've looked at have the same mileage and they're only 6 years old :lol:

My dad just sold his W reg 'E' Class and it was costing him an arm and a leg by the end. The body was shite too, IIRC it was of a time when Merc steel had the properties of rice paper :surrender:

Having said that he swapped it for a newer 2006 'E' Class - after all the old one had done about 200,000 miles.

You can stop now though, the old ones don't float my barge :bangin:

I recently bought an 05 plate 2.4l V50 sport estate and got rid of my 51plate A4 3.0l quattro both automatic.

Mind newer V50s are a class above old ones. The only engine to have on a Volvo is a D3 or even better D5. Petrol ones have poor fuel economy. Diesels are as fast and very economical. Old tiptronic auto is same as the audi but without Sport mode but with wet which is useless to say the least. It looks fantastic on the outside but far of German standards inside. It handles well for an estate for for some reason it's awfully boring to drive.

Saabs have that new TTid engine. Twin turbo diesel and very nippy and economical. The petrol engines will daily visits to the fuel pumps although the aero is very very fast and handles very well. But you ll need a set of new front tyres every 10k miles at the very best! Don't know about their gearboxes but a good friend of mine with 20 years working for rac told me to steer away from swabs. He said their is easy to repair but they always did smth on a Saab. The best thing with saabs is that now they are exceptional value for money.

The Octavia is the king in every way especially as an estate and vrs! If you can look past the badge....I didn't and I ll be selling my Volvo soon....and I only had for a month....I ll go for a 2.5 tdi Audi estate or a 530d BMW :)

Thanks greekman, good to hear your views after running a V50. I'll test all of the options and see where it leads. If I go Volvo it'll be either the T5 or D5 but I don't think we'll be doing many miles so should think we'll get a petrol. I'm taken with the idea of a fivepot too :thumbs:

I had an Aero93 on my tail coming home from Wales early Tuesday morning, he couldn't keep up but had a good go and was back behind me at each village we went through... followed me for about 30 miles and when he finally turned off he flashed and gave a big thumbs up :thumbs:

Always liked the look of them to be honest...

Thanks greekman, good to hear your views after running a V50. I'll test all of the options and see where it leads. If I go Volvo it'll be either the T5 or D5 but I don't think we'll be doing many miles so should think we'll get a petrol. I'm taken with the idea of a fivepot too :thumbs:

Mine is a 5 pot too. Noise is a love/hate thing. I like the sound personally but I look a right t@at making all that noise whilst not really progressing loool. I got the wrong engine though 2.4 petrol, does around 20-22 round town and around 30 at 80mph. Very smooth but nothing much :(. T5 and D5 are very nippy.

Remember also that volvo dealerships are expensive and even if you wanna change the factory cd player that tends to fail very often the new one needs to be calibrated with the ecu and cost over 700 quid to fix :scare: it's all very Volvo in a Volvo ;):lol:

it's all very Volvo in a Volvo ;):lol:

Loving that comment, I've already ordered my suede jacket with leather elbow patches too :lol:

I'm already planning subtle mods (SAAB or Volvo) that blown engine will remap nicely B)

i was considering the t5 c30 as a second car, couldnt find any good info on remps or tunning advice. you know of any

There seem to be a few options and MTE and RICA get good reviews.

MTE - http://kalmar-union.com/

RICA - http://www.rica-uk.com/

Both these companies send out maps for self install directly to the OBDII port without needing a laptop. I should think they map manually themselves too??

I had an old 850 T5 that had the MTE remap. Very quick but some immense torque steer at times. I then added NOS and things got a bit silly :)

The guy who sells the MTE stuff is called Don if I remember rightly. Seemed very knowledgable about the whole thing and I think he's still about on the Volvo forums.

I dont really see the point in volvo's. They are fwd. They are all silly thirsty even the 2.4 diesel. They arent as nice to be in as a BMW or Merc.

I see your point, they aren't exactly exciting but it suits my requirements well as we'll be needing a more practical car soon and want to keep the Zed.

£5-6k gets you a 2006 T5 with 40000 miles, you're looking at a BMW or Merc 5 years older with 100,000 miles for that cash if it's anything interesting and it's likely to need bits and bobs doing to it.

On the other hand I'm tempted to sell the Zed and get something like a B7 S4 - that's the dilemma at the mo....