Coilovers or springs?

TomS

My car is currently on Eibach Pro Springs (30mm drop) but I'm struggling to get over even small speed bumps with my new wheels on. I didn't think changing from 18" to 19" wheels would affect how low the car is? If anything I thought a bigger wheel diameter would increase ride height?

With the new wheels the ride has also become too stiff for my liking so wondering if coilovers would be better or just another set of springs? Definitely don't want to go lower than 30mm as I think as a daily driver I need 20-25mm drop as 30mm at the minute is causing problems and I wouldn't mind a bit of a softer ride as well.

Don't want to drop ~£1000 on a set of coilovers to find the the ride is still very firm and I'm still struggling with speed humps if a different set of springs would do the same job.

Scraping, If I go VERY slow over the speed bumps it's fine, but if I'm angled at all regardless of speed the car will scrape. Where I'm working there is a speed bump just after a corner so there's no way of going over it straight on.

I'll look at Tein springs, I just don't want the car to look like it's on stilts :lol: but I do need a softer ride for day to day use. Would the Tein springs just increase ride height but still have the same stiffness going over potholes etc?

Try too avoid going pot holes, this will improve the ride quality no matter what the ride height is...... ;)

I do try! But even potholes aside, British roads are awful so looking for something slightly more comfortable for daily use but with some sort of drop as I don't want big gaps between wheel and arch.

Or try putting a bigger profile tyre on if it was ok with the 18 and not now? are the tyres on the 19 lower profile than the 18 and what profile is on it already as this will help with ride hight and comfort i change from 275 30 20 to 275 35 20 and helped with me traction flashs on if going left but only over 120 :blush: so im not worryed as dont do that on normal roads anyway

i would try 235/40/19 as a cheaper option first before going coilover route if you dont want to fork out buy some cheap part worns see if it makes it better before forking out on new rubber :thumbs:

Try too avoid going pot holes, this will improve the ride quality no matter what the ride height is...... ;)

I do try! But even potholes aside, British roads are awful so looking for something slightly more comfortable for daily use but with some sort of drop as I don't want big gaps between wheel and arch.

Try driving in Belgium, there roads make ours look fantastic :thumbs:

I would swap the tyres as a start, putting on coilovers isn't going to make it more comfortable as a daily drive, and likewise just changing the springs won't help too much. if you want a softer ride you really need higher springs or to adjust the rate of dampening, so coilovers could do this but in my experience even the softest setting on coilovers is harsher than just lowered. (albeit that was on a different car so not sure what the Zed is like)

• 4 months later...

A bit of thread revival as I am sure the OP have got it sorted now.

But I just thought I mention that coilovers DOES NOT have to be harsh.

That depends on how the dampers are design.

What you find alot of time is owners get £1000 JDM Racing coilovers.

Slap it on a car and wonder why it is rock solid...

That was because the suspension was design for racing and not on bumpy uneven country roads.

Suspension have to be compliant, the comfort of a good suspension and performance comes hand in hand.

When the suspension soak up the bumps, it mean your wheel are touching the ground so it provide traction.

And that is ultimately what you are looking for from a good set of performance suspension.

Lowering, looking nice, less body roll, better predictability, and more confidence are just part of the package. :)