Do You Reckon This is a Dodgy Email ?

greido

I'm selling my lotus on pistonheads and got the email below , i'm a bit suspicious that the emailer wants to know the reg details etc of the car before anything else, worried it might be a scam, does anyone have any experiences that would suggest this may not be genuine? I'm also a bit suspicious of the pigeon English at the end.

"Hi,

is there a full service history (documented) and is it hpi clear?

does it have the v5 document?

Please provide me with Reg # and the vin number also (chassis number, 17 characters) so i can run a FULL HPI check on it.

when is the best time for view?

Thank you! "

I dunno if I'm being overly suspicious but it's a £25k car so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution, I've not replied yet.

Cheers,

G

If you do a proper HPI check and want the guarantee you HAVE to give them the VIN number. As well as a list of other stuff.

I usually do a cheapo text check but the full hpi is a lot more indepth but costs £25.

Sounds like the guy is either after your car details to clone something or very very serious about it. He may be a long way from you and not want to waste his time coming to see it without doing a full check first.

Personally, I'd be happy for him to have the details after sounding him out on the phone first. If he sounds like he knows enough about the type of car, which he should, you'll know if he's dodgy or not.

Full HPI provides insurance for 7 days or something provided you update them with the VIN. She will only need it if she buys it :)

That's true. We we're offered 7 days free insurance from HPI via Aviva.

As has been said, you need the VIN to do a proper HPI check. You can do a basic one without it, but I wouldn't buy a car without being given the VIN first, especially on a £25K car. There's more than likely no scam here, and I'd give the number out if asked.

My HPI account will give me the VIN and every other detail with just the registration number, i wouldn't worry about giving out the VIN as a decent car ringer, cloner etc can just as easily obtain this. Don't forget, most cars have this in the windscreen now :lol:

Dave.

Hi, you are only robbed when money leaves you so........... When I sold my Z I had quite a few scam emails all sourcing from Autotrader, not Pistonheads. Example below - my reply to 'Barbara' (most probably a big sweaty guy in an internet cafe on the African continent) was that "cheques in any form are not acceptable". I never heard another word. :lol: The postcode is for an old peoples home! Here is what 'she' wrote:

=========================================================

Good Morning,

Thanks for your quick response and am also excited to hear from you that the vehicle is still available for sale.And thanks for the information you just gave about the vehicle and am quite delighted to hear from you that the vehicle is still in great conditions

The reason why am purchasing this vehicle is because My self and my partner just need one additional vehicle.Please i want you to email me more pictures aside from the one on web advert page if is still available both the exterior and interior.Since all the details you put on the advert are updated and real,i think there is no need for me to be worrying i think i have found what am looking for.

According to the Features of the vehicle and the Full Description of the vehicle which i saw on the advert page i'm fully satisfied.I want you to accept my offer of £5600 inclusive the advert fees just because I know what the worth of the vehicle ,and also for you to reserve the vehicle for me.The only way you will release the vehicle to any one is when the cash is in your hand, i.e. payments cleared at bank, and withdrawn.

I am located at Llanfairpwll in Anglesey Ll61 5jf.

I will only required your full name and your postal address, so that the bankers draught or the certified Cheque could be posted to you via royal mail.My preffered method of payment is by bankers draft or certified cheque in a (GBP) which may take 3 to 4 working days to Clear.Please note that you will only release the vehicle until you have received confirmation from your bank that the payment has been given value and cleared.I hope to hear from you today in order to proceed further with the payment and shipping arrangements as soon as possible.I look forward to hear back from you today.

Cheers

Barbara

===========================================================================================

See also http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... mid=0&i=20 :thumbs: