Looking for a 350z

smudgedon

Hey guys :D

Currently driving a 2008 Alfa Romeo 159 2.4JDTM Ti Q4 which i love, but the 350z has always been an interest of mine

Recently been looking at these since the Mrs said that she likes them after seeing one in a car park the other day. Just a few queries that i have before looking seriously.

What sort of MPG do they typically return?

Is there any pro's/con's to getting an import?

Do the earlier models have any problems?

Any other major running costs that i should factor in?

Any common problems to look out for?

I realise that these questions have probably been covered on the forum, but would appreciate some advice and help :)

Cheers

Jordan

Somebody with the same name B) ! :welcome: to the forum!

1) I'm fairly heavy footed and I typically get about 24-26MPG on a motorway run can get up to 32MPG

2) I understand that imports might have a higher premium on the insurance I'm sure there's other things but some of the experts should be able to help you further

3) Some of the 03-05 VQ35DE engines to consume oil and needing topping up every so often

4) Fuel obviously, tax (depending on what year/model), regular servicing costs. Mods, becauses eventually you will want to mod the car haha :lol: !

5) There is the 'clicky' rear axle which I believe is a simple fix with some grease, BOSE stereo sometimes skip CD's....maybe some others I can't remember. Other than that, fairly reliable cars.

Btw the search bar in top right is your friend for finding threads on info you need :thumbs:

:welcome: to the forum, you'll find a heap of info on here as I have through the last couple of years I'm sure. Good questions so I will give you my 2 pence to start off:

1. For me MPG is usually around 30-32 on motorways at 70-80 MPH and expect it to drop to 20s driving around town

2. More Cons than Pro's with Imports I think - resale value will be less, speedo will probably be in KPH, square rear number plate, some parts won't be compatible with UK sourced parts I think.

3. My main concern with earlier models is they have worse interior build/finish mainly but exterior wise not a lot to tell them apart (the front bumper grille and front reflectors can give tell tell signs). But pre March 06 is lower tax bracket.

4. Genrally cheap to own/service in my experience, generally I don't see Nissan FSH as an advantage some may disagree. Be wary of modding which will be expensive and usually never ends!

5. I'm sure there are but not too sure, others will probably point out common issues. Clicking rear axle is one I know of which I had but was cheaply fixed.

Thanks for the info :) i would have thought that an import was cheaper to insure? I can't believemy 2.4 diesel gets the same mpg!!! Then again it does weigh 1800kg!

I've seen one that's had a new engine put in recently. any cause for concern?

Don't think i can search yet being a new member :(

Imports cost a lot more to insure! As an example:

UK 350 costs me £1100 to insure

JDM 350 cost me £3500 to insure

Not sure why the massive difference exists but it does!

We once owned an imported MR2 Turbo and had to do some serious phoning around to get a reasonable quote. Caroline thinks she may have gone with Admiral in the end.

Pete

Imports cost a lot more to insure! As an example:

UK 350 costs me £1100 to insure

JDM 350 cost me £3500 to insure

Not sure why the massive difference exists but it does!

We once owned an imported MR2 Turbo and had to do some serious phoning around to get a reasonable quote. Caroline thinks she may have gone with Admiral in the end.

Pete

Admiral were fairly reasonable when I had my '2 Tubby. :thumbs:

I think il cars usually get better corrosion protection.

FYI, my car is my second car and so I had to start insurance from scratch (ie zero no claims discount).

My premium was £670 - so worth shopping round.

Incidentally putting my younger other half on the insurance reduced the premium by nearly £100. Odd really as her drivings way worse than mine ;)

Well get this guys, just phoned up Elephant to see what the difference would be compared to my Alfa Romeo

A HUGE MASSIVE RIDICULOUS difference of.....

£41.30 extra :yahoo:

I think my mind is made up B) saw the car today and it's a lovely example, few little touches that he needs to make good for me but nothing major, drives well, looks gorgeous and has been serviced regularly

Check the spec on the import as they don't all come with brembos as standard fot example. They don't hold there value either compared to a UK cat of the same age so make sure you buy cheap.

Definately has the Brembo's, i saw them and felt them as i was thrown forward braking for a roundabout :lol:

Ye it's a great price for the spec IMO:

2003 (52) plate, cheaper on tax being pre-03 ;)

61200 miles

FSH

Japspeed exhaust system

Racing cams

Induction kit

Abbey Motorsport Remap

Kenwood CD player connected to bluetooth and satnav

Nismo v2 front bumper

£6,700 - can probably knock a few hundred off though :)

What do we reckon?

I reckon you try to get about a grand off that price. You can get a UK for that price. What did you make of the Japspeed exhaust? Loud? Might be a bit of a pain if it's to be a daily driver.

Abbey Motorsport is a trader on here. So they might be able to give you a bit of info on the car since they worked on it. There is also a possibility that the seller is on here too.

Oh and by spec, I think what was meant was the interior, electric leather/mirrors, cruise control etc...

Things I would be looking at is the window motors. The windows should drop about 5mm ish when the doors open and close to let the pressure out. Window motors aren't cheap. There is a fix on here, if the motor is retrievable or a bit off track.

3) Some of the 03-05 VQ35DE engines to consume oil and needing topping up every so often

Almost right. It was mostly the 2006/7. ;)

Hi,

=============

==============

1. Depends on how you drive, expect between 22-30MPH

2. In my view it does not matter whether an import or uk - all depends on how the car has been used and looked after. If it has been imported properly it would have to be certificated and be spec standard, would have kph to mph conversion, fog light fitted etc. etc. The record of the certification is recorded on the V5 Imports are limited to 112MPH. A UpRev delimitation will allow it to 155MPH. If you go onto the VoSA website you can check the whole history of the car, test wise, if you have the registration number and the V5C number. The information is free.

3. My 2004 JDM Coupe (which I have just sold) had no big problems. It had the common issue of tailgate struts failing which will cost you about £60 to sort. I think you need to see the receipts on the services and the advisory notes - don't just rely on stamps in a service books. Racing cams you mentioned - that would make me slightly twitchy - who did it and why ........

4. The services are not especially expensive - £125-200 for P1/P2 - P3 more expensive. My fully comprehensive insurance for the JDM was £330 per year but I have a clean licence, live in a area where there is just above zero car crime and am over 50.

5. Do a search on the forum and you will find plenty of faqs and posts about what to look for.

I would not be put off looking at imports at all. The purchase and re-sale price is less than UK spec which I think is the only downside to a JDM if you are selling. If you buy one then you can save £1000's ..........

Good luck :thumbs:

Hi,

=============

==============

1. Depends on how you drive, expect between 22-30MPH

2. In my view it does not matter whether an import or uk - all depends on how the car has been used and looked after. If it has been imported properly it would have to be certificated and be spec standard, would have kph to mph conversion, fog light fitted etc. etc. The record of the certification is recorded on the V5 Imports are limited to 112MPH. A UpRev delimitation will allow it to 155MPH. If you go onto the VoSA website you can check the whole history of the car, test wise, if you have the registration number and the V5C number. The information is free.

3. My 2004 JDM Coupe (which I have just sold) had no big problems. It had the common issue of tailgate struts failing which will cost you about £60 to sort. I think you need to see the receipts on the services and the advisory notes - don't just rely on stamps in a service books. Racing cams you mentioned - that would make me slightly twitchy - who did it and why ........

4. The services are not especially expensive - £125-200 for P1/P2 - P3 more expensive. My fully comprehensive insurance for the JDM was £330 per year but I have a clean licence, live in a area where there is just above zero car crime and am over 50.

5. Do a search on the forum and you will find plenty of faqs and posts about what to look for.

I would not be put off looking at imports at all. The purchase and re-sale price is less than UK spec which I think is the only downside to a JDM if you are selling. If you buy one then you can save £1000's ..........

Good luck :thumbs:

You reckon i should offer him in the region of £5700 then?

Seller mentioned that the older examples (this being a 52 plate) use a fair bit of oil and need to be topped up quite often

Is this common? Is it a sign of problems to come?

Not heard anything apart from the revup ones apparently sometime use a little oil but they are a lot newer than the one your looking at (2006).

Another thing to consider, is the power differences between the different versions of zed. The early ones only had 276bhp, which increased to 296bhp around 2006, then to 309bhp in mid 2007. Some people (myself included) felt it was worth the extra money to get the 309bhp version.

The 52 plate zed you mention, id definitely be offering a lot less. If its 52 plate then its probably one of the first zeds made as that was the first year they came out, so its one of the oldest you`ll get. Also if its an import then that usually means its worth less too. So, it sounds like the seller is asking top money for it compared to others ive seen.

I'd be wanting to go over the history with a fine tooth comb to try and verify the work that the guy says has been done to it. Very easy to claim it has 'racing cams' (which by the way will do very little without headers) because how do you check? I'd be wanting a dyno print-out from the Abbey remap as well, as the bhp/tq should be some indicator of what has actually been done to it. Best of luck with the search :thumbs:

DB

Seller mentioned that the older examples (this being a 52 plate) use a fair bit of oil and need to be topped up quite often

Is this common? Is it a sign of problems to come?

"Fair bit of oil" - if it were me I would walk away now. There are sometimes small weeps between sump and block. My advice is leave it and carry on looking. This is not right :wave:

Mike