What to look out for - used 350z

Mikesding

Hi guys, new to the forum but have been looking around for a few weeks now.

Im almost definitely trading my Audi a1 in for a 350z, I found one I liked and was hoping you owners would be able to tell me anything to look out for?

The one I found was in Daytona Blue (looks amazing) but noticed it had a lot of stone chips on the bonnet, and the gear stick looked very worn. Both things I could fix though

Anything mechanical I should look for? Any big services that need to be done? Think this car was on 50k miles

Appreciate any help guys!

Most annoying thing for me was the oxydised aluminium (rust) wiper arms, pain in the proverbial to get off. If your buying from a dealer get them to do them.

Thanks, the one I looked at had this actually! Didn't look to pretty. Not possible to just respray?

Most annoying thing for me was the oxydised aluminium (rust) wiper arms, pain in the proverbial to get off. If your buying from a dealer get them to do them.

Thanks, the one I looked at had this actually! Didn't look to pretty. Not possible to just respray?

When I said pain in the proverbial to get off, I didnt mean the rust I meant that the chances are the arms will be stuck onto the splines. The rest as already been said is simple to respray.

When I said pain in the proverbial to get off, I didnt mean the rust I meant that the chances are the arms will be stuck onto the splines. The rest as already been said is simple to respray.

again getting them off is fairly easy once they've soaked in some wd40 and you know the trick to getting them off!

Here is a link to the one I found - quite nice spec for the price I think?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Can the sat-nav be used for anything other than a sat nav? (Might be a stupid question - just moving from my car which uses the satnav screen as a multimedia interface)

Nope. Sat Nav doesnt have any inputs on it, so it can be only used as a sat nav. Some sellers get confused as the sat nav disc runs from a dvd player unit (behind drivers seat in my car), and they see the DVD logo on it then start listing "dvd player" in the for sale ads...

In all fairness its not a bad sat nav system. I updated mine to the 2011 maps and it has every new road i know of on it. It gets traffic updates automatically as your driving along and is integrated with the stereo. Its also a nice big clear display. Only initial bugbear is that it doesnt accept postcodes, you have to do city/street/number. But, its known of all the places ive ever needed, incl loads which my tomtom didnt know about.

The satnav was a £1200 extra on the car when new, but personally i wouldnt worry if you find a nice zed without it. You can fix up an android tablet or many other aftermarket sat navs in the cubby hole easy enough.

You'll find that on some because of people opening the door with keys in their hand or wedding rings, same for the drivers door control panel. I had a silver art pen that was almost a perfect paint match so touched up with that.

Saw a 350 today and it was in great condition except couldn't help noticing the paint on the door handles were quite scratched! Is this normal?

Didnt notice that on any I saw, but have seen that on plenty of other makes of cars - usual thing is people opening door with keys in their hand.

On zeds, you will find the drivers side internal door handle tends to get chipped easily for a similar reason. My car had only done 20k miles and it was chipped really bad already.

I dont think anyone mentioned servicing to you. Theres plenty of info on this forum if you look under servicing - incl guides. As a rule though, its a minor service, followed by a major and repeat. DIY servicing is cheap. I did a minor service last year for around £50 for the parts. Outside of servicing, check when the plugs were changed... they are due around 50k ish, and also check when brake fluid was changed etc..... as long as its got a full history (either stamped up, or the owner is an enthusiast and has serviced it himself) then you`ll be ok.

If your looking at newer cars, remember the road tax doubles after 2006. But, some people incl myself feel thats worth it for the facelift car and the extra power you get if you get the 313 model with the HR engine. They came out mid 2007 and you can check as these had a bonnet bulge. Not all 2007 cars are HR.