Big decisions to make before Euro road trip

Charlie350blue

Hi there,

I will be heading of on an awsome road trip to the south of France then Italy and back through Germany (bring on the autobahns!!) at the end of May. I think looking at google maps i will be covering around 3000 miles of some of the best driving roads in europe lol. Now my big decision is whether to change my cultch or not before i go. i currently have a 2004 350z with 55k on the clock, I know its very hard to judge when a clutch is going to go but reading many of the posts on here i seem to be right at the millage that it should be due.

The clutch on the car does bite high but then i have read this is quite normal on the Z, i have covered around 4,500 miles in the car since owning it and the clutch bite point doesn't seem to have changed and i have carried out numerous tests to see if it will slip and it still working great with no signs of slipping or lossing power.

The car has been really well looked after and its in very good condition so dont think it has been abused too much before i bought it but really can't decided to bite the bullet and change the clutch just incase or leave it and hope it will carry on working fine. Just dont want to be stuck it the alps with a car that won't go up a mountain!!!

Could anyone tell me how fast a clutch would deteriorate i.e once you get the signs of i slipping do you have 10, 100 or 1000 miles of careful driving, basically could i get back to UK if it starts to slip in Northern Italy?

Cheers

Quote: i have carried out numerous tests to see if it will slip and it still working great with no signs of slipping or lossing power.

As Zug's says, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If your clutch slips now, get a new one. If it doesn't you'll be fine.

I ran NOS on my car for over a year, have 63k miles and my clutch is as good as the day it went in the car. Nil problems!

You'll be fine :thumbs:

(but get European cover as its quite handy if you do break down and stuck in the middle of nowhere)

Cheers for all the responses and advice. This is my first post on here so very happy to hear your opinions.

'If it ain't broke don't fit it' - i've had 2 frineds tell me this too ha ha!!!! Just wanted to ask and get a few peoples opinion as i didn't want to get all the way to the stevlio pass then not be able drive up the bloody thing lol!

Have sorted out the european cover as well already cheers, wouldnt chance it without. Also sorted the insurance for the misses to drive but not sure if thats a good thing or not ha ha!!!

haytonz - i will be going from 25th May to the 10th June and doing pretty much the sam as you, French Alps, Monaco, Stevlio pass then north into switzerland to do another pass but forgot the name doh!

im leaving england on the last day of may to the 10th of june so maybe we could meet up maybe at the ring on the 8th since were both heading home that way :)

said the 8th because its the only day befor the 10th where the ring is open all day

I've just had my flywheel and clutch replaced at Horsham Developments. I too am off to Europe towards the end of August and was concerned about clutch life as my car has just reached 60k. According to my service history my car was on the original clutch and flywheel. However, I did notice slight judder when moving off in 1st gear so suspected something wasn't quite right. I bit the bullet and got a new Nissan flywheel fitted and Exedy clutch. The long and short of it was that the clutch plate that came out looked fine and may well have been changed (but not documented in the history) at some point. The flywheel was the original and was showing signs of hot spots on it's surface (hence the judder I guess), so ultimately the combo would have probably lasted me many more miles. However, I'm glad I got them changed as the gear change is now so smooth that I can tell that the original setup was compromised in some way. I didn't really want to be stranded in Italy, being faced with a big bill from an Italian Nissan dealer for a clutch change so I paid up but now have a great gear change and piece of mind (and proper documentation for my service history).

Good luck with your euro trip. Please feel free to PM me your route as I'm in the early stages of route planning myself :thumbs:

To the op-

I would at least have the clutch hydraulic fluid changed. I sat at the top of stelvio pass after I lost my clutch. Very scary at the time!

It turned out to boiled fluid, the clutch action came back as the fluid cooled. I changed the fluid that night in the hotel car park in Davos.

How long do you intend on keeping the car? Do you think you may want to do another euro tour? If you are going to put another 20k miles on the car and use it for tours then you are prob going to have to put a clutch on it at some point.

Why not do it now and have peice of mind?

edit to add:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=39640

+ 1 to the advice before: if it ain't broke, don't worry about.

On another note, I've done the routes you talk about a lot before and twice very recently, so if you want any advice or have any questions, just ask. Stelvio pass just above Monaco is great on a sunny day as long as you're careful (a British guy in a Gemballa in front of us wiped out off the road and into the trees). Also, the road that goes along the coast from France to Italy is epic as soon as you cross the border (French side generally is underwhelming, but the Italian towns along the coast that you see in-between the tunnels are stunning and well worth stopping at)!

Enjoy! :thumbs:

Cheers for the advice again,

Still very undecided about whether to bite the bullet and just do it just cause it is a long round trip and sods law states it will go at the worst possible time but then some of the other posts say theres clutchs have gone for much much longer, so ummm.

Has anyone advice on rough times it takes to do some of the passes etc?? I will be saying at Sanremo then travelling upto Lake como for a fews days then either up Nonrth through switwerland and then east towards the stevlio pass or from Como to the stevlio pass and then back up through switzerland around andermatt as there are some awesome roads i see around there. Just wasn't to sure of the timing etc. Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Plus i have heard its best to attack the stevlio from the north instead of the south?

Haytonz - Would be great to meey there but still haven't got the finally bit sorted but will let you know, would be good to have someone to blast around with

I can't give any advice on your the clutch but last year I did a road-trip through Germany, Austria, Croatia, Italy and France and even with just a Fiat Punto and a Peugeot 206 I can say it was definitely the best driving experience of my life!

:cloud9:

Cheers for the advice again,

Still very undecided about whether to bite the bullet and just do it just cause it is a long round trip and sods law states it will go at the worst possible time but then some of the other posts say theres clutchs have gone for much much longer, so ummm.

Has anyone advice on rough times it takes to do some of the passes etc?? I will be saying at Sanremo then travelling upto Lake como for a fews days then either up Nonrth through switwerland and then east towards the stevlio pass or from Como to the stevlio pass and then back up through switzerland around andermatt as there are some awesome roads i see around there. Just wasn't to sure of the timing etc. Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Plus i have heard its best to attack the stevlio from the north instead of the south?

Haytonz - Would be great to meey there but still haven't got the finally bit sorted but will let you know, would be good to have someone to blast around with

Both tunnels that go up to Switzerland from Como are very easy and take hardly any time at all with only some minor serpantine going up towards them. :thumbs:

Alternatively, if you choose to go over the top, the Oberalp Pass will be right on your way or if you fancy a bit more entertainment and some great tunnels en-route, head for Bormio and go over the Stelvio Pass. Oberalp can add up to two-three hours depending on traffic & conditions to your journey north. The Stelvio Pass will take substantially longer as getting to and from takes a while. Coming from the North offers some better views, but you can always stop at the top to take in the sights.

As I said before you will absolutely love San Remo - that Italian coastline right from the French border is one of the my favourite parts of Europe. If you're coming from France, the climb up and down the Col de Turini will take you around 2 hours once you get off the main road - well worth it if you are a fan of cool mountain roads + you get some great sights of Monaco below you if you take an unconventional way up the mountain along one of the smaller routes.

Oh and here's some more info: LazyTrips: Top 5 ways to cross the Alps