Joined Virgin Media

BulletMagnet

Always a good sign when you're vigin them a nice sum of money every month :lol:

Have you gone for TiVo? Be interested to hear what it's like as my parents old V+ box is godawful and I've just had a letter through the door about swapping to VM and it's about £30/month less than I currently pay with Sky. Biggest difference would be going from 6mb ADSL to proper broadband!

:lol:

Be interested to see what you think of it, the box looks a lot better than their old one.

I don't have much choice where I am, I was told before I moved that I HAD to have BT only which is true for the phone & broadband but I managed to get Sky too :yahoo:

Well, I am fed up with BT, and it's not that I am that far from my local exchange either.

I used to get fairly close to the advertised "up to 16 Meg" speed with 14 Meg, but it's the drops that annoy me the most (especially when playing Modern Warfare 3, whilst being on a high killstreak, lol)

Now since I have phoned BT and gave them my 30 days notice, I'm down to 9 Meg.

April 24th can't come soon enough (which is the actual install date), really looking forward to 60 Meg :D

My mate who has been with them since forever did warn me though.

He said if I went over a certain limit during peak hours, Virgin would throttle my speed.

I asked to what?

"50%" he says.

I just said if thats the worst that will happen, thats still three times faster than what I'm getting now anyway, so it's win-win in my book B)

Have you gone for TiVo? Be interested to hear what it's like as my parents old V+ box is godawful and I've just had a letter through the door about swapping to VM and it's about £30/month less than I currently pay with Sky. Biggest difference would be going from 6mb ADSL to proper broadband!

Yes, got TiVo

My package was for:

- Basic TV services, which included free TiVo box and service

- Basic Phone package, which includes Unlimited Weekend calls to landlines and certain numbers

- XL Broadband, which is the medium one at 60Meg.

6 months BB at half price, plus went to the Virgin online shop via a link from Top Cash Back and got an additional £62 cashback.

I love a good deal :D

I've been with VM for around 6 years and i've got to say, im REALLY starting to hate them.

All i get through the mail from them is either info about a new price increase, or them trying to make me sign up to their mobile phone service.

I pay them £91.50 a month, and for that i get small broadband, small telephone calls, and XL TV with Sky Sports HD, and a non-hd multiroom option.

I have not even had the house phone plugged in during the last year, but i noticed that my bill was fluctuating so i called them up (only took an hour to get through to them in india), and i had been charged about £4 a month for phone calls that i wasnt even making for the last year. I asked them to sort it out, and it took them 6 MONTHS to send an engineer round, and i still never got that refund for those calls. Disgusting. I cant be bothered phoning them up to complain though as it just takes too much damn effort to get through to them.

Then last month i had a letter through... they're putting my bill up by £3.50 a month! I have no idea why and it didnt detail the reason for the price increases. Really detest them.

The final nail in the coffin for me is that they havent got SKy F1 in HD... i have to put up with crappy standard definition. I think when i can be bothered, i'll be swapping to Sky. The only thing keeping me at the moment is that they give me ESPN for free, which is where i watch all the UFC.

Lastly... my stepdad is on VM, on the cheapest package and all he gets from them is special ****ing offers giving him free stuff and upgrades constantly. Way to look after your best customers, Virgin Media. /rant

:lol:

Be interested to see what you think of it, the box looks a lot better than their old one.

I don't have much choice where I am, I was told before I moved that I HAD to have BT only which is true for the phone & broadband but I managed to get Sky too :yahoo:

Well, I am fed up with BT, and it's not that I am that far from my local exchange either.

I used to get fairly close to the advertised "up to 16 Meg" speed with 14 Meg, but it's the drops that annoy me the most (especially when playing Modern Warfare 3, whilst being on a high killstreak, lol)

Now since I have phoned BT and gave them my 30 days notice, I'm down to 9 Meg.

April 24th can't come soon enough (which is the actual install date), really looking forward to 60 Meg :D

My mate who has been with them since forever did warn me though.

He said if I went over a certain limit during peak hours, Virgin would throttle my speed.

I asked to what?

"50%" he says.

I just said if thats the worst that will happen, thats still three times faster than what I'm getting now anyway, so it's win-win in my book B)

Yes, got TiVo

My package was for:

- Basic TV services, which included free TiVo box and service

- Basic Phone package, which includes Unlimited Weekend calls to landlines and certain numbers

- XL Broadband, which is the medium one at 60Meg.

6 months BB at half price, plus went to the Virgin online shop via a link from Top Cash Back and got an additional £62 cashback.

I love a good deal :D

Sounds good to me :thumbs:

I am in a new build with fibre optic connections only so I am limited to BT, luckily I get well over 100meg totally free as it is still officially a trial :yahoo:

I've been with VM for around 6 years and i've got to say, im REALLY starting to hate them.

All i get through the mail from them is either info about a new price increase, or them trying to make me sign up to their mobile phone service.

I pay them £91.50 a month, and for that i get small broadband, small telephone calls, and XL TV with Sky Sports HD, and a non-hd multiroom option.

I have not even had the house phone plugged in during the last year, but i noticed that my bill was fluctuating so i called them up (only took an hour to get through to them in india), and i had been charged about £4 a month for phone calls that i wasnt even making for the last year. I asked them to sort it out, and it took them 6 MONTHS to send an engineer round, and i still never got that refund for those calls. Disgusting. I cant be bothered phoning them up to complain though as it just takes too much damn effort to get through to them.

Then last month i had a letter through... they're putting my bill up by £3.50 a month! I have no idea why and it didnt detail the reason for the price increases. Really detest them.

The final nail in the coffin for me is that they havent got SKy F1 in HD... i have to put up with crappy standard definition. I think when i can be bothered, i'll be swapping to Sky. The only thing keeping me at the moment is that they give me ESPN for free, which is where i watch all the UFC.

Lastly... my stepdad is on VM, on the cheapest package and all he gets from them is special ****ing offers giving him free stuff and upgrades constantly. Way to look after your best customers, Virgin Media. /rant

I don't watch that much TV you see, mainly for me it's the broadband.

My full bill after the 6 month period will be £46 a month

UFC stuff I usually grab them from the dark corners of tinterweb

I don't watch that much TV you see, mainly for me it's the broadband.

My full bill after the 6 month period will be £46 a month

UFC stuff I usually grab them from the dark corners of tinterweb

I was thinking that when i was typing it... i should just dl the UFC's. Bought myself a NAS drive last week that streams to my xbox so its not even a hassle watching dl stuff anymore.

The one thing i will say about VM is that their broadband is the best there is... very very reliable. I've only ever had one outage in 6 years, and thats when my cable modem died.

Think the deal that came through my door was this: http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles.htm ... rts=DM_158

Seems decent for the VIP one, works out £62 a month after cashback, nearly 50% less than what I pay Sky! It just depends what the Tivo box is like as my current sky boxes are so much better than my parents V+ ones.

Strangely, i've got the V+HD box and really like it. Performs very well and easy to use, but most of all the remote is really good (i hate remotes that you have to look at the buttons before you press when they're ilogically laid out).

My parents have the Tivo box which i dont like at all. Hideous red menus, very small writing on the onscreen menus that my mum cant even read, and you dont appear to be able to change, and it keeps recording suggested shows for them, which theyre having to frequently delete (although you may be able to switch this off).

The only thing that annoys me about the V+HD is that at midnight every night it updates itself, and the remote stop responding!!

The only thing that annoys me about the V+HD is that at midnight every night it updates itself, and the remote stop responding!!

Oh god forbid you have to get up and press the power button... :lol::lol::lol:

It's when i fast forward or rewind something, and it gets stuck and rewinds the whole damn program. I cant describe how infuriating this is!!!!

Oh god forbid you have to get up and press the power button... :lol::lol::lol:

It's when i fast forward or rewind something, and it gets stuck and rewinds the whole damn program. I cant describe how infuriating this is!!!!

Again, that's why I have opted for a broadband biased package ;)

Download stuff, stick it on a portable drive, plug into USB port on telly and voila, done

well when the installed ours the numpty drilled through a water pipe ad didnt notice for half an hour (water leaked into the wall not out), after 6 weeks of arguing on the phone, net, tweeting r branson etc they finally admitted full liability. We finally got the new carpet last week and plus a few other bits, Sky arent any better though TBH they are all useless and painful when it comes to getting anything done..

Best thing I find with the Tivo is when you fast forward a recording, if you overshoot the restart of the prog but hit the play button it goes back to the end of the adverts.

Worse thing is it is sooooo sloooooow changing channels..

Prefered Sky, but my house very exposed (fields to the rear) and the wind kept moving the dish disrupting the signal... Skys recommended solution after several complaints was 'thought about getting virgin mate, their signal is sent by cable!' That guy must have been moving companies :lol:

As for contacting them and avoiding india. Always choose the 'WANT TO CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION' option. Puts you through to an English call centre immediately. When i say English, I mean a geordie!!! :lol: (btw, nothing against the NorthEast, I'm a NUFC supporter, and have been for 31years).

I work for virgin media, not a sub contractor who do all the fresh installations, I'm a service tech that comes to fix it when it breaks!

If your on 20mb phone up and you'll be put up to 30mb for free, then doubled to 60mb for free in a few months. Not bad hey?

Yeah stuff does go wrong, but that's technology, it's always going to break at some point. Look at apples iPhone 4 when that was launched with all the problems of signal?

We're also trailing over 120mb in some areas, that can download a film in about 4 seconds. Now that's pretty sweet!

I instal tivos daily, and my advice is go onto help and watch the how to videos, you'll learn so much more about what the box can do than what you think. Such as exploring individual actors, creating wish list etc.

If anyone has any questions or queries about anything PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I work for virgin media, not a sub contractor who do all the fresh installations, I'm a service tech that comes to fix it when it breaks!

If your on 20mb phone up and you'll be put up to 30mb for free, then doubled to 60mb for free in a few months. Not bad hey?

Yeah stuff does go wrong, but that's technology, it's always going to break at some point. Look at apples iPhone 4 when that was launched with all the problems of signal?

We're also trailing over 120mb in some areas, that can download a film in about 4 seconds. Now that's pretty sweet!

I instal tivos daily, and my advice is go onto help and watch the how to videos, you'll learn so much more about what the box can do than what you think. Such as exploring individual actors, creating wish list etc.

If anyone has any questions or queries about anything PM me and I'll see what I can do.

So any chance of getting a double up in speed on my 60 Meg in a few months time?

And can you get Usain Bolt to do my installation? (Only want a photo opportunity really as I don't think he'd be any good at installing)

id swap our tv to virgin tomorrow if they would sort out the deal with sky re "atlantic and F1HD" as skys hardward is shocking. My broadband is pretty awesome even at peak times and its only going to get better. IMHO virgin need to have there own channels and start competing with sky for some blockbuster series as that would force sky to the negotiating table on an even footing putting virgin ahead due to there improved hardware and lack of weather related signal issues.

If and when that happens ill be shifting my tv to virgin until then stuck with sky :bang:

So any chance of getting a double up in speed on my 60 Meg in a few months time?

And can you get Usain Bolt to do my installation? (Only want a photo opportunity really as I don't think he'd be any good at installing)

If your on 60mb you'll go to either 100 or 120 for free!

If your on 60mb you'll go to either 100 or 120 for free!

Ah sweet! I was told by another friend that the currently advertised speeds were already the upgraded ones, but if another upgrade is on the horizon then this is getting better and better :D.

My other mate was recently upgraded from 20mb to 40mb, so I guess that means he'll be doubling up too then :D

Yeahhh. It's because we can offer the 100+ speeds, there's not much point having the low speeds of 1mb etc, so everyone on them is going to 10for free, then everyone else being boosted up.

It blows everyone else out the water in terms of speed.