Insurance quote - you must be joking!

nixy

I'm currently insured with Tesco on the CTR - costs me about 400 a year. I had never made a claim in a billion years until last summer when I rear ended someone at a roundabout (yeah go on say it, women drivers) and needed the front bumper replacing as his towbar went into it. He didn't claim off me as no damage. My insurance stayed the same as I've protected no claims. I just phoned up tesco to see if they insure imports - yes they do - they quoted me for a Z - more than twice my existing premium and won't insure against theft unless it has a tracker! I nearly passed out! I have to say the lad on the phone didn't seem to know what he was doing and had never even heard of the car but if that's right it will be the straw that breaks victor meldrew's back and I daresay I won't be getting one! Can you guys tell me what you pay and whether it's UK or import please? I think I might cry............

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an import, but just paid £385 with elephant, tesco quoted £600 and were one of the cheaper ones tbh. I was with tesco last year, no tracker requested, although my mate was told he'd need one for his SLK....think it goes on where you live.

Couldn't believe £385 :teeth::teeth::teeth: , well chuffed, especially as i've got points and a fault.

There is a thread in FAQs (i think) on different companies to try.

Ross

Can't be my postcode - I live out in the sticks (it's quite nice). I think I'll try get a few quotes online but not sure what the protected no claims is actually worth if you take your business elsewhere as you have to tell them you've had a claim. Are imports generally more expensive to insure? I don't understand why.

Well churchill have just quoted over a grand on an import - I'm 38 for god's sake with one tiny little claim in my whole driving life - how I wish I'd never made the bloody claim now! The difference between import and UK is quite alarming! To be honest I never even considered the insurance as I'm so old and have always had fast cars and cheapish insurance.

Well churchill have just quoted over a grand on an import - I'm 38 for god's sake with one tiny little claim in my whole driving life - how I wish I'd never made the bloody claim now! The difference between import and UK is quite alarming! To be honest I never even considered the insurance as I'm so old and have always had fast cars and cheapish insurance.

RAC and Norwich Union gave me good quotes. One tip go direct to the insurers sites. ?Confused give you generalised quotes not neccesarily specific to your needs :)

Don't despair and keep getting quotes. I found that some insurers (including Admiral whom I was with before) would not quote for an import. They were generally very ignorant about the car and the different models anyway. However, of those who did quote, I did not find that there were huge differences between them and those for a UK car. I eventually settled for a policy with Highway, with protected NCB, £150 voluntary excess and accident benefits package for £346. That was with 3 points to declare as well. Mind you, I am 55 and have over 10 years NCB. :D

just did a confused.com for the sake of it and they have got it down for an import to £514 with auto direct - massive excess of £800 tho - after that it's yesinsurance - £544 with £500 excess - not bad - never heard of them! I'm starting to breath again now! According to confused Norwich Union and RAC don't insure imports.

Just noticed, Marks and Sparks 580 with breakdown thrown in! Are these quotes genuine?

Should have tried Saga Jim..... :p

Steady son, or :boxing:

By the way, I have tried Saga and contrary to expectations, they are not cheap. Maybe just because of the car, mind you. :)

When my mum got her '07 CRV I got quotes for her and SAGA came out cheapest. It was hilarious as she'd only been 50 a couple of months.

I tried to get a quote for my dads Rangie Vogue and his merc SL but they weren't that cheap for him either. He had been 50 for about a week. Gave me something to laugh about though!

This is a fascinating thread. Great to see what people are paying for insurance.

If we’re having a competition for worst insurance of all time that will make all of yours look like peanuts I’d win.

Last year, 30yrs old, my Celica 190 was hit by cops. At the time insurance was €1300. Cops refused to pay and my insurance company refused to fight my corner. Car repaired for 5k and then sold. Bought the Z. Renewal arrived in October. €6000 with outstanding claim. Change companies and got it for €1200 with a 4k excess. Original insurance company, having paid my repairs, eventually gave in, accepted their losses and returned my full no claims. Cops told to f*** off and fix their own car.

I’d be happy to pay £600, 700, 800 and road tax for next to nothing. I’d save a fortune.

Bloody hell... 34, I'm paying £1200 fully comp, full no claims, in Switzerland!!! Mind you we do seem to get more cover here for the money. For example, amongst other things I've got parked up damage insurance, which is basically if the cars parked, no matter what happens to it you're covered without affecting no claims. ie someone scratches it, a tree falls on it, someone knifes the roof etc etc

Still seems expensive though compared with some of the prices you guys and girls are paying.

This is a fascinating thread. Great to see what people are paying for insurance.

If we’re having a competition for worst insurance of all time that will make all of yours look like peanuts I’d win.

Last year, 30yrs old, my Celica 190 was hit by cops. At the time insurance was €1300. Cops refused to pay and my insurance company refused to fight my corner. Car repaired for 5k and then sold. Bought the Z. Renewal arrived in October. €6000 with outstanding claim. Change companies and got it for €1200 with a 4k excess. Original insurance company, having paid my repairs, eventually gave in, accepted their losses and returned my full no claims. Cops told to f*** off and fix their own car.

I’d be happy to pay £600, 700, 800 and road tax for next to nothing. I’d save a fortune.

lived in dublin for the last five years , did not buy a car because of the insurance and tax , a 3 year old civic would have cost me 3500euro to insure while i pay less than 800 for my z in birmingham, i miss dublin , but not the traveling there effin luas and dart can kiss my ass

M & S seem quite cheap at the moment. My daughter went with them last November with her own insurance for the first time.

She is 21 with a Clio Sport and paid £500 odd fully comp with a £350 excess.

Thought that was quite good. Wouldn't have thought to try them in the first instance.