stuff to do in New York/New Jersey

Squee

I noticed there was a thread on here a couple of weeks back about 'what to do in Las Vegas' and people contributed plenty of useful info so hope no one minds me asking 'what to do in New York'...

I'm going to be out there soon for nearly two and a half weeks so will probably run out of all the typical touristy stuff to do so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend interesting /fun/'different' stuff that might not be in the guidebooks? I'm going out there with Mr Squee who's on business so I'll be left to my own devices during the day. Staying in Princeton NJ which is only a 40min train ride into the centre of New York. I will have full use of a hire car but I'm sure driving into Manhattan will not be a very good idea :lol:

S.

USS Intrepid - Sea Air and Space Museum - was aweomse... but I am a plane geek ;)

Ice skating in central park - If it's not closed for summer now

Empire State building of course!!

Madamme Toussaudes

Top of the Rock(erfella center)

Look on the new york pass website for more details or attractions to visit!

I recommend getting this too, http://www.newyorkpass.com/ Saves lots of time queing for things, very useful and worth the money

I can highly recommend the following places.....

The Boathouse - Very nice Drinks/lunch in Central Park

Grand Central Station - Architecturally stunning

Guggenheim - B) Nuff said

Ellis Island... Very interesting, worth a stop if you go to Liberty Island

Greenwich Village - If you fancy a potter about

5th Avenue - Shopping

Ground Zero - Every one should go there out of respect :thumbs:

Madison Square Garden - Go watch a Basketball Match - Its much better than it sounds ;)

There is tons to do and see, I have been 3 times and still have places I want to go.

If you like steak then try Smith & Wollensky's, Midtown East.

The National Museum of the American Indian at Bowling Green is well worth a visit. You can get the Staten Island Ferry nearby which is great for views of the city and cheap. Delmonico's steak grill is near the museum too :thumbs:

Apart from the things already listed, I'd love to drive to Long Island, looks really nice :thumbs:

Pete

Yeah I think I might give that a go :thumbs:

I've only ever driven in semi-rural North Carolina and I'm probably in for a bit of a nasty surprise with driving in NJ which is meant to be the most congested state with the most roadworks...and it's me who's drawn the short straw and has to drive from the airport :bangin:

Thanks again everyone :)

S.

I did the Sopranos Tour over christmas... took 5 hours, was FANTASTIC! If you're a fan of the show you'd got to do it. Starts in NYC and goes all over New Jersey and finishes at the Bada Bing and you get to go in, strippers and everything :lol:B)

I met Vito while i was there:

100_0246.jpg

Pizzaland:

100_0296.jpg

I also caught a Knicks game:

PIC_0137.jpg

Friends Apartment:

PIC_0103.jpg

Liberty Island was amazing:

PIC_0073.jpg

Take a helicopter tour:

PIC_0010.jpg

100_0338.jpg

Empire State was special:

100_0776.jpg

These are my best bits when we went in 2010 (other than getting engaged of course!)

Top of The Rock at night so you can see Empire State

Empire State first thing on a morning to miss the queues and get an awesome view as the sun comes up

Helicopter Tour if you can stretch to it

MSG for hockey or basketball and do the tour before hand its really good

Del Frisco's if you like steak

cheers again all - some cracking suggestions :thumbs:

Awesome pics Marzman. And I do like the sound of the Sopranos tour heehee. I was hoping that Baltimore would be a driveable distance as I LOVE the Wire but it looks a bit too far for a day trip unfortunately.

Thanks for the link Pete - will check that out now.

Ta again everyone - much appreciated!

S.