Engine knocking, rattling, chatter noise.

bkjmr

Unsure what the problem is. Initially i thought it was the bottom end because that what the recovery man said.

The day the noise began the car first stalled at the lights then when I pulled off and pulled over I heard the noise. I then took it to get fuel where it stalled again once i started it. It didn't stall when I pulled over prior to getting petrol. Them mid way through driving the car cut out and wouldn't start. I was only hearing a single clicking noise. I left it for about 20 minutes then it started but it was making the horrible rattle noise still.

The engine seems to be fine with no loss of power or low oil pressure.

There is no check engine light on. The noise gets louder as the rpm increases. I think it could be a loose flywheel but I'm not 100% sure (from similar sounding videos on youtube). I made a recording of it this morning to post to see if anybody can diagnose it or has had something similar before. There was a new clutch and flywheel installed about 2 months ago so it may be that the garaged has not torqued everything up properly.

I have been searching but I thought I would make a post as I didn't find much.

Youtube Video Under Car

Youtube Video in Engine Bay

Does the frequency increase with revs? Will it do it off load or only under load/when the car is moving stationary? Is there a certain rpm where its louder, or starts and stops? Have you had someone else rev the engine while you stand outside and listen to it? :)

Edit: If its there on tickover its unlikely to be the bottom end, also if it still does it off load :)

Started it just now and went up and down the driveway. Sounds like a piston or something in the engine is rattling now, its more at the front of the engine now the noise. The rattle initially was at the rear bottom of the engine now there is a much louder one at the top.

I dunno, perhaps ........

Does the frequency increase with revs? Will it do it off load or only under load/when the car is moving stationary? Is there a certain rpm where its louder, or starts and stops? Have you had someone else rev the engine while you stand outside and listen to it? :)

Edit: If its there on tickover its unlikely to be the bottom end, also if it still does it off load :)

just an idea like.

The noise has changed now though, it is much louder knocking/rattling coming from inside the engine.

It does it all the time stationary and when moving. The noise now beings from when i turn the engine on. As the rpm gets higher so does the noise level, although i haven't taken it past 3500rpm. At about 3000rpm its at its louder but it may be because i haven't taken it higher. Should I take it past this level?

I'm not too sure if the frequency increases but i think it does.

I have has someone in the car whilst I listen, it doesn't sound healthy. As I said earlier it now sounds as if it's coming form the front of the engine.

Sorry for only replying now, I thought I replied earlier because I went out to double check your questions answers.

Turn it off and don't run it again until a proffessional can take a look at it for you as you may be doing more damage to the engine by running it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you with the AA etc ?

Had a listen to the vids and it sounds like it may be a rod about to let loose, however it could be a number of other things.

Get a pro to have a listen and an informed diagnoses should be forthcoming within a few minutes, without stripping.

Where are you based?

Alex :)

I'm in South Wales. Getting an engine degree guy to have a look tomorrow night.

Good luck :thumbs: however I fear the worse.

Me too. It's not all bad, I have really enjoyed the 3k miles i got from it so far :).

Do you know the price for a rebuild by any chance Alex? Going to ask the guy tomorrow but would like a rough estimate.

I'm in South Wales. Getting an engine degree guy to have a look tomorrow night.

Good luck :thumbs: however I fear the worse.

Me too. It's not all bad, I have really enjoyed the 3k miles i got from it so far :).

Do you know the price for a rebuild by any chance Alex? Going to ask the guy tomorrow but would like a rough estimate.

Okay, let's be proactive :thumbs:

Rebuilds are not usually cost effective and a low mileage engine form a known doner vehicle is the way forward :thumbs:

What year and engine model is your car?

VQ35DE

VQ35DE Rev Up

HR

Hmmm. It definitely sounds like piston slap which would suggest a big end failure, the only thing Im not 100% on is that it doesnt sound like its constant if you hold it at constant revs - this could suggest something more top endy, I recently had a ring break up on my S13 and it was making similar noises. Either way theres something moving around there that shouldnt be, Id get it looked at ASAP, certainly avoid driving it.