Rear Wiper Delete

CrustyCrab

What's your opinion...

I removed rear wiper arm at the weekend (and waxed my car :D ). I'm going to give it a week or so and decide if I like it or not. I do usually use the rear wiper when it rains but I made a point a week ago of not using it and it didn't really bother me. I think it looks neater but i like the fact I can quickly put it back if I want/need to.

sorry about the photo quality: I don't have a good camera, editing software or skills ha ha

Looks much better :thumbs: you never use the rear wiper anyway, especially with summer on its way. This was one of my first mod's and I havent looked back since! I also removed the washer jet at the top of the glass as well for the full clean look B)

I have another grommet plug so I can remove the washer but I wanted to be sure I like it before I did the next bit. I think it looks good though :teeth:

Without a doubt It looks better! I'm sure both holes are different sizes though, You will need a smaller one for the washer jet if you are removing it :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

I use mine quite a bit, especially in the winter :surrender: . Would have been good if you could lift it up more than a few angstrom units though :)

Pete

It lifts up like a front wiper arm.

The cover usually gets stuck preventing it from moving.

Just be brave! :thumbs:

It may help to slide the cover over the end back by hand.

Easy to do;

Interior trim just unclips but does require a bit of force and confidence then I think there was 3 screws holding the motor to the bootlid. The wiper arm has a cover on the outside where it rotates, lift that up and unscrew the nut. Again you need to be quite forceful to get the wiper off but just make sure you use a cloth or something to protect the paint. I think I wrapped a screw driver in a cloth to use as a lever.

I got a pack of grommets from halfords for a couple of quid. I think it was a 19mm gromet I used in the end.

Smudgedon - where abouts in Surrey are you? If you local to me I'll happily give you a hand?

Easy to do;

Interior trim just unclips but does require a bit of force and confidence then I think there was 3 screws holding the motor to the bootlid. The wiper arm has a cover on the outside where it rotates, lift that up and unscrew the nut. Again you need to be quite forceful to get the wiper off but just make sure you use a cloth or something to protect the paint. I think I wrapped a screw driver in a cloth to use as a lever.

I got a pack of grommets from halfords for a couple of quid. I think it was a 19mm gromet I used in the end.

Smudgedon - where abouts in Surrey are you? If you local to me I'll happily give you a hand?

Ta :)

I'm in Wallington in Surrey

How will this be affected by the new MOT rules?

Under the new rules the rear wipers/washers are still not part of the MOT.

Pete

i dont think they ever will be as some cars come without them as standard.

Was gonna say that some cars (such as my current Alfa) don't come with rear wipers, so i can't see it ever being a problem for MOT

If anyone gets bothered by the rain on the rear window, a 5er will get you a decent product like Rain-x to solve this problem :)

Was gonna say that some cars (such as my current Alfa) don't come with rear wipers, so i can't see it ever being a problem for MOT

If anyone gets bothered by the rain on the rear window, a 5er will get you a decent product like Rain-x to solve this problem :)

Not sure it is 100% correct but when my missus old Punto had it's MOT the guy said he would have to fail the car as the rear wiper was not working at all, I took it off and he said it was not a fail as it had to be fitted to be defective :wacko:

Anyway I decided to delete my wiper in April and we have had the wettest few weeks for years and I haven't missed it once :p

I've not had a rear wiper for 2 years, and as ChrisS said RainX the window and you'll never miss the wiper.

For me the wiper is a pain in the bum and carries excess weight, but then I like weight loss (for the car that is) :lol:

I've not had a rear wiper for 2 years, and as ChrisS said RainX the window and you'll never miss the wiper.

For me the wiper is a pain in the bum and carries excess weight, but then I like weight loss (for the car that is) :lol:

I just need to get the actual washer bit out at the top of the glass and I will be happy.... oh and paint one of my spare grommits blue :thumbs: