Rear Wiper Delete

CrustyCrab

Easy to do;

Interior trim just unclips but does require a bit of force and confidence then I think there was 3 screws holding the motor to the bootlid. The wiper arm has a cover on the outside where it rotates, lift that up and unscrew the nut. Again you need to be quite forceful to get the wiper off but just make sure you use a cloth or something to protect the paint. I think I wrapped a screw driver in a cloth to use as a lever.

I got a pack of grommets from halfords for a couple of quid. I think it was a 19mm gromet I used in the end.

Smudgedon - where abouts in Surrey are you? If you local to me I'll happily give you a hand?

Ta :)

I'm in Wallington in Surrey

you coming to wales?

if your in wallington. why the hell havent you been round for a cuppa??

also did you get a 350 yet???

Was gonna say that some cars (such as my current Alfa) don't come with rear wipers, so i can't see it ever being a problem for MOT

If anyone gets bothered by the rain on the rear window, a 5er will get you a decent product like Rain-x to solve this problem :)

Not sure it is 100% correct but when my missus old Punto had it's MOT the guy said he would have to fail the car as the rear wiper was not working at all, I took it off and he said it was not a fail as it had to be fitted to be defective :wacko:

Anyway I decided to delete my wiper in April and we have had the wettest few weeks for years and I haven't missed it once :p

IF it's fitted, it has to be working

If it's not fitted, then it's not considered a fail. Strange MOT rules

you coming to wales?

if your in wallington. why the hell havent you been round for a cuppa??

also did you get a 350 yet???

Mark, i haven't got a 350 yet :lol: so i won't be coming to wales and i thought turning up at your house uninvited would cause a bit of concern :lol:

[quote name="smudgedonIF it's fitted' date=' it has to be working

If it's not fitted, then it's not considered a fail. Strange MOT rules

[/quote]

Rear wipers, fitted or otherwise, are not part of the MOT test. The guy testing SMD's Punto was wrong.

I can understand how he may have misinterpreted the rules, but that doesn't change the fact that rear wipers are not included.

The inclusion and performance of wipers relates to the windscreen, and the windscreen is taken as the glass through which the driver views the road in a forward facing direction.

It's just chinese wispers; a guy down the pub said, I saw it on a forum, my mates a mechanic. Next thing you know even the tester believes it because he does a dozen tests a day and hasn't looked at the rules for five years. And you know what these guys are like when they get a bit of power......

Ah i think you are right just asked the misses and she said the Punto passed even though the rear wiper didn't work at all.... :blush:

I was sure I took it off but I think it was number plates on the Leon I had to change and get retested :doh:

A few years ago the rear wiper motor failed on Caroline's MGZR, phoned up the garage doing the MOT who said we don't test that. As recently as March this year the Clio passed the test with a perished rear wiper blade. Of course with more and more regulations each year it may well be mandatory for them to work at some stage :shrug:

Pete