Rattling from the gearbox?

eviljoker7075

Hey guys, just been on a bit of a road trip across the UK and have noticed a new noise and wondered if anyone else has had this.

It's a kind of rattling noise, almost like there's a stone caught somewhere being flung around. It happens mainly in 1st and 2nd gear, particularly while feathering the clutch. It's only really noticeable with the window open and driving next to walls to reflect the sound in - so it's not a major problem, as long as there's nothing majorly wrong.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: corrected thread title, sorry to anyone who posted a deer related pun!

Forgive my lack of knowledge here but how do I check for those things? It's an 04 GT Pack model if that helps?

To test drop links just unbolt them (car is still safe) and go for a little drive.

Sounds simple but they can be an unholy bugger to get off so a good soak in penetrating fluid might help.

Not sure that it sounds like a droplinky type noise though to be honest. I'd have it in the garage - I've never heard any noises like that when clutching.

I also have this noise It gets worse I'n say like 1st or reverse and I lift on and off the clutch with no revs I think it's to do with the thrust bearing . Cause I can also hear my clutch spinning a bit louder than it should when I'm I'n neutral and without my foot on the clutch but mine has always done it since I got her 18months ago she's a 07 313 gt I have had no issues with my clutch at the moment so I'm just gonna keep an eye on it . Let me know if you find out what it I's

Ccoxyy

Hi all,

I've been out in the OP's car and the noise is there when the clutch is depressed if it is in gear, but if you take it out of gear the noise stops with the clutch still depressed. Sounds like more of a graunch than a knock, if that description is any better! So I'm thinking it has to be gearbox related? My thinking is if it were the clutch or flywheel then it should not matter if the car is in gear or not when the clutch is depressed, and also the diff is still turning regardless of whether the box is in neutral or a gear. Thoughts?