When did 350z performance become the "norm"?

mmaci12969

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like i am not the only one who feels the Z performance could be improved after all then. And to the poster who stated i am obviously a 'Straight line jockey' you don't have the 1st clue about who i am, my driving ability or the vehicles i am able to compare my findings for the Z with. Trust me, its a very informed argument. Coupled with the fact i am an advanced driver and have been for over 10 years and have done more track days in different cars and bikes than i can physically remember. As someone posted a good while back now, i think the rose tinted specs are being worn by most.

I think most of the above posters are missing the point and this has gone off topic and is now a dick wagging competition. The question was, how long did it take you to get used to the Z's performance ? Not, Who won't hear a bad word said about their car ?

On the contrary, I think it is very much you who is missing the point of the thread and the original question. There is absolutely no point in comparing the performance of a £25k touring car to supercars or boyracer straight-line demons. Nobody is trying to claim that the zed is god's gift to humankind and is far superior to every single other car that has ever been made. To make it simple, here's a couple of examples of your sort of logic applied to other situations:

1. Quatar Airways first class sux big time because it is far less luxurious and comfortable than my private jet and does not come with a personal champagne filled cabinet or a widescreen satellite TV.

2. The cul-de-sack house in Surrey that somebody bought for £300k is rubbish because it is not a huge Penthouse in the heart of London with a private swimming pool and a harem permanently stationed in the bedroom.

3. What sort of an imbecile would drive along the gorgeous scenic road that meanders through small coastal Italian towns in some of Europe's most picturesque areas when you can drive down the motorway and get down south 4x faster?

Just trying to make sense of how this thread ended up so off topic...

Yes you get used to the Zed performance, like any car actually, it's not really a eureka moment. Then a poster mentioned that he was disappointed with the Zed as it didn't rip his arms off. Responses were that "it won't that's not what a Zed is for".

It seems that poster had 1. An expectation that the extra BHP would in itself give big performance and 2. Maybe some misinformation prior to purchase as he said he expected a "performance animal"

I think people pointed out that it isn't (which is very much the opposite of rose tinted glasses) and tried to give some context based on what they EXPECTED which was probably more in line with what a Zed offers when they bought a Zed which probably led to a different and more positive experience.

Is a Zed slow for 300bhp? Maybe, there are quicker 300bhp cars, there are also slower ones though. There was another thread on here that joked about how to make your Zed x4 faster. Actually it illustrates the point entirely, that most other cars on the road are slower than a Zed but a turbo powered back puncher it certainly isn't and don't think anyone is claiming it is?

If u push a car hard u will get used to it quite quickly. I dnt think it's about the performance it's the overall feel of a rwd car that's well set up and has some grunt. Have driven lambos with twice the power of the zed and loads better performance but the zed feels more exciting than a big heavy 4wd car.

Looks like i am not the only one who feels the Z performance could be improved after all then. And to the poster who stated i am obviously a 'Straight line jockey' you don't have the 1st clue about who i am, my driving ability or the vehicles i am able to compare my findings for the Z with. Trust me, its a very informed argument. Coupled with the fact i am an advanced driver and have been for over 10 years and have done more track days in different cars and bikes than i can physically remember.

Wow. Cool story. Are you the Stig? :ninja:

BTW, any road car is a compromise and can be improved to suit a particular drivers wishes. The fact that the Z can be improved from standard is no great news flash, the same can be said about most cars.

Looks like i am not the only one who feels the Z performance could be improved after all then. And to the poster who stated i am obviously a 'Straight line jockey' you don't have the 1st clue about who i am, my driving ability or the vehicles i am able to compare my findings for the Z with. Trust me, its a very informed argument. Coupled with the fact i am an advanced driver and have been for over 10 years and have done more track days in different cars and bikes than i can physically remember.

Wow. Cool story. Are you the Stig? :ninja:

BTW, any road car is a compromise and can be improved to suit a particular drivers wishes. The fact that the Z can be improved from standard is no great news flash, the same can be said about most cars.

Ha ha, no certainly not the stig but i have been fortunate enough to have friends who have a wide variety of cars that they use on track regularly which has allowed me the opportunity to test them out too.

Its been interesting to read some of the responses above and find out what kind of people we all are. Its eye opening to see that even though we all have one thing in common (presumably we all own 350z's or have done at some point) our thoughts on the car and our perspectives in life can differ massively. I guess thats what makes life a little more interesting.

I will end my input on this subject as lifes too short by saying, i have been misquoted a number of times in the above posts and my viewpoint has been taken totally out of context on occasion. I have not meant to offend and i hope it hasn't come accross that way. This is an amazing forum and a valuable source of information for me. It would be nice to meet some of you one day so i could put faces to names and who knows, we might even be able to have our opinionated discussions face to face rather than from behind a keyboard. Oh well, enough of this, i need to go out and learn how to drive my Z properly. Was that 6,000 or 7,000 revs you said when i should be changing gear ?

Looks like i am not the only one who feels the Z performance could be improved after all then. And to the poster who stated i am obviously a 'Straight line jockey' you don't have the 1st clue about who i am, my driving ability or the vehicles i am able to compare my findings for the Z with. Trust me, its a very informed argument. Coupled with the fact i am an advanced driver and have been for over 10 years and have done more track days in different cars and bikes than i can physically remember. As someone posted a good while back now, i think the rose tinted specs are being worn by most.

I think most of the above posters are missing the point and this has gone off topic and is now a dick wagging competition. The question was, how long did it take you to get used to the Z's performance ? Not, Who won't hear a bad word said about their car ?

On the contrary, I think it is very much you who is missing the point of the thread and the original question. There is absolutely no point in comparing the performance of a £25k touring car to supercars or boyracer straight-line demons. Nobody is trying to claim that the zed is god's gift to humankind and is far superior to every single other car that has ever been made. To make it simple, here's a couple of examples of your sort of logic applied to other situations:

1. Quatar Airways first class sux big time because it is far less luxurious and comfortable than my private jet and does not come with a personal champagne filled cabinet or a widescreen satellite TV.

2. The cul-de-sack house in Surrey that somebody bought for £300k is rubbish because it is not a huge Penthouse in the heart of London with a private swimming pool and a harem permanently stationed in the bedroom.

3. What sort of an imbecile would drive along the gorgeous scenic road that meanders through small coastal Italian towns in some of Europe's most picturesque areas when you can drive down the motorway and get down south 4x faster?

I want to live in your world :doh:

Sadly you always find a few like that on single-marque forums, this place is far better than most though I've found. :)

Would you care to elaborate on that ?

Does it need elaborating? I thought it was fairly self-explanatory.

On single-marque forums you always tend to get a lot of fanboys who think that X car is the greatest thing ever and there is nothing better. There's a few people like that on here, but not as many percentage wise as I've found on other forums. Which is a good thing, obviously.

Any clearer?

I just dont see any fanboy style posts (in this thread anyway).

Didn't say there were any, did I? ;) Some people appear to have twisted some words here and there on both sides, often happens in heated debate and like I said, this place is much better for the vast majority of folk having open minds :thumbs:

..and its also common to see past owners of said single-marques who have moved on to better performing cars who like to think they have a more informed view on things from up atop their tower ;):lol:

I never said I had a better performing car, but I'll take the compliment happily ta ;):lol:

Didn't say there were any, did I? ;) Some people appear to have twisted some words here and there on both sides, often happens in heated debate and like I said, this place is much better for the vast majority of folk having open minds :thumbs:

What can also happen during a debate is people coming in making all seeing observations about the population of a forum when it has no relevance to the thread.

What is clear, is that its best to keep it on topic and cut the bullshit :thumbs:

I think its less the rose tinted specs and more that owners get riled when people who know little about the Zed comment in an uninformed way about it. So more of a defensive spate (but still factually sound...) than them seeing no wrong with their pride and joy. It was a similar behaviour evoked when we had the recent Piston Heads thread when someone asked the 'experts' on there about the Zed and the utter nonsense that was touted about was laughable - but it provoked a quite strong backlash from owners who were again labelled as being rose tinted even when their responses were all factual and properly thought through.

Yes people are generally passionate about the car they have purchased, especially as its an emotive purchase and not a functional one. But, they are generally aware of its limitations and whats out there that is better and whats worse. We all know the Zed isn't a replica performance wise of an Evo, but the point that has been made time and again all over this forum, is that it isn't meant to be.

Anyway thats my tuppence worth :lol:

The trouble is that everyone on car forums thinks they are an "expert" and every newcomer is a complete pleb, without considering the newcomer might actually know a thing or two, and when they start to exhibit a bit of savvy, the self appointed expert's start to feel threatened and go in for the immediate discredit, seen it happen, and experienced it so many times :lol:

...as long as the noob doesn't come out with stuff which is clearly off kilter or 'yeah but my mate says' and has been discussed many times before and even then argue the point to death.

In this particular case, and not picking on people, I think everyone with some decent ownership knows the Zed will not use the 300bhp to punch a hole in the air and take off into the distance leaving VXRs and Evos in its wake - bizarre it was even debated for so long tbh. I guess people were exasperated and the posts became a bit heated, and well thats about it really.

Personally, I didn't see any fanboy posting going on - from my point of view you could argue that the posters 'expectations of the Zed' were different to the people he was debating with and that was where there was going to be no middle ground reached. In that most people expect a GT car when they buy a Zed and as such had no problem with the performance whereas the poster in question seemed to expect a hard accelerating turbo eating machine which the Zed was never meant to be when it was designed :shrug:

What was a bit off kilter is the labelling, either straight line jockey or labelling people as fanboys or someone who is unable to see the deficiencies in their car and hence the rose tinted glasses thing. I dont think there are many of any on here but people arguing their points get labelled this unnecessarily which got peoples backs up.

...as long as the noob doesn't come out with stuff which is clearly off kilter or 'yeah but my mate says' and has been discussed many times before and even then argue the point to death.

In this particular case, and not picking on people, I think everyone with some decent ownership knows the Zed will not use the 300bhp to punch a hole in the air and take off into the distance leaving VXRs and Evos in its wake - bizarre it was even debated for so long tbh. I guess people were exasperated and the posts became a bit heated, and well thats about it really.

Personally, I didn't see any fanboy posting going on - from my point of view you could argue that the posters 'expectations of the Zed' were different to the people he was debating with and that was where there was going to be no middle ground reached. In that most people expect a GT car when they buy a Zed and as such had no problem with the performance whereas the poster in question seemed to expect a hard accelerating turbo eating machine which the Zed was never meant to be when it was designed :shrug:

What was a bit off kilter is the labelling, either straight line jockey or labelling people as fanboys or someone who is unable to see the deficiencies in their car and hence the rose tinted glasses thing. I dont think there are many of any on here but people arguing their points get labelled this unnecessarily which got peoples backs up.

+1

I got the Zed after years of owning tuned Jap turbo cars that were quicker and had more power to weight but enjoy the Zed more as it's more useable, looks a lot nicer (IMO) and feels a lot nicer and safer to drive! Might be slower on paper but I prefer much more. :thumbs:

no point chasing huge power if you can't use it on the road safely.