Block down-shifting

sipar69

Not sure if this is a daft question, but bear in mind I've only been driving for a year and a bit...........

Is block-dowshifting - say from 4th to 2nd when about to turn - bad for the Z? It sounds great with the Revmatch / Stillen :D but I don't know if it's supposed to be a no-no in terms of the effect on the car?

It shouldn't cause you any problems as long as you're not expecting to be travelling along at 40 mph in fourth and cross boxing straight in to second without having first reduced your revs (speed) appropriately.

I'm sure the 370Z box is pretty sturdy so I wouldn't worry yourself too much. I quite enjoy having the opportunity when driving my 350z to rev match and change down / cross box. When you get it right it's very satisfying. :drive1

Cheers - I'm definitely slowing down before the down-shift and presumably the syncro rev match on the 370 helps to get the revs right....? Just love the sound it makes!

This is where the 370 comes into own, almost uniquely in the 'affordable' car market place as the synchro rev will perfectly match the revs jumping any number of gears, up or down the shifts. It further enhances the brilliant engine braking characteristics of the 350 that makes the 350/370 such a great drive.

Yep, synchro-rev is the lazy mans heel and toe, but perfection every time and matched to a decent sounding exhaust - I love it :cloud9:

With synchro-rev or good heel/toe action then its fine. So long as the gearbox matches the engine speed its all good. Its when they dont match that you put strain on the syncrhomesh and can start to damage things.

Of course it is a given that when you are changing down and still have revs left and arent going to bounce off the limiter ;)

Yep, synchro-rev is the lazy mans heel and toe, but perfection every time and matched to a decent sounding exhaust - I love it :cloud9:

COLIN! I'd have expected better of a veteran of heel/toe - wash your mouth out - you should be doing it properly with your own heel/toe, not letting the car do it. Might as well have an auto :p:lol:

How do people find the 370z floor mounted throttle for heel/toe, or does no one bother now they have syncro-rev? I found it a bit of a pain compared to the 350z and Nismo pedal which pushed me more towards the 7AT.

COLIN! I'd have expected better of a veteran of heel/toe - wash your mouth out - you should be doing it properly with your own heel/toe, not letting the car do it. Might as well have an auto :p:lol:

How do people find the 370z floor mounted throttle for heel/toe, or does no one bother now they have syncro-rev? I found it a bit of a pain compared to the 350z and Nismo pedal which pushed me more towards the 7AT.

Guilty as charged :surrender:

Remind me how to do heel and toe again :teeth::lol:

Floor-mounted throttles can feel a bit weird to heel/toe on at first, but you do get used to it pretty quickly. 911s have always been like that, and when I had a blast in a mate's 997 T4S manual it took a good couple of changes to adjust.

Obviously all the cool kids have auto 'boxes that blip the throttle for you anyway though :teeth:B)

I love using heal toe and and pretty well practiced at it with all my previous cars. I was a bit worried that the 350z has this syncro rev match? If so i dont want it really :( takes away part of my driving fun

The 350's do not have the synchro-rev so your feet will still the get exercise ;)