Car starting issues - Please help!

The Bounty Bar Kid

Hi Peeps,

I'm hoping that someone can help me here, as I'm stuck as to what is happening.

Basically the car started fine when I got in from work. I drove down to the local halfords, and everything was fine.

Then when I got out of Halfords, the car had trouble starting. I had to put my foot on the accelerator pedal to get it to start.

Then when I got home @ 6.20pm, and had parked up, I decided to check that the car would start up again properly. It didn't. It didn't turn over, just nothing. Battery meter said 12v, lights went on no problem. Thought I'd search the forum but found nothing close to this.

I just popped out again about 5mins ago to check if the car would start. It did! No problem. Battery when turned on read 14v. I then turned the car off and then tried to turn it back on. Nothing again!

What's gone wrong? Is it some kind of security function or is my baby fooked???

PLEASE HELP! I've only had her just over a month and she's only done 35200 miles. 57 plate 2007 HR model.

As your starting it does the needle go down towards the 8v bit? Try a multimeter whilst someone cranks it otherwise.

Is the starter running but its not firing or is the starter not going either?

Dunno how to tell if the starter is running or not. Will check the 8v bit in a sec and see what it does.

Is there an audible click when you twist the key? Perhaps a starter motor problem?

This is copied from an issue I had a while back:

Car failed to start. Battery fine; power being delivered to solenoid (detected by audible click when turning the key) but no engine crank at all.

Started with a bump start. Worked fine for a week.

Stopped working again. Then worked intermittently for another week or so.

Took the car to Nissan but in typical fashion it worked fine for them so they advised me they could do nothing because they can't diagnose a problem if it is not present when they look at it (makes sense; but obviously didn't help me very much!)

All my reading suggested there was a problem with the starter motor (either: 1. faulty hold-on lead, 2. worn bushes, or 3. worn pinion/flywheel? The second one in particular might explain the intermittent failure?)

Decided to have the starter reconditioned anyway (there was no obvious fault upon inspection) and it has worked fine since (touch wood!)

A new starter from Nissan costs about £540 + VAT by the way!!

Been working fine for almost two years now... hope you get it solved?

Sounds like you may need a new battery..

+1, mine went in the exactly the same way, one minute it was fine, next minute just a click...that car may well still be on the original battery too, mine lasted less than 3 years.

Pete

Just been out for an hour drive in her, and all is well. When I got back, I turned her on and off a few times and no problems. Meter read 12v from when key was put in to just as engine turned and it went to 14v.

Maybe it had to do with the recent short 6 mile round trips I've been doing to the train station. But then again, it suddenly hit me that maybe I was just being a muppet and didn't have my foot on the clutch. I dunno. Too tired then and really way too tired now.

Thanx for the helps peeps. If she does play up again (and I know that I have for certain put my foot on the clutch pedal), then I'll just post back in this thread.

Always best to start with the battery as it is easy to change and is a consumable anyway. The Zed needs a good battery to start up if it is even slightly on the way out you can get intermittent problems, hopefully a few decent runs will give it a good charge but it might be worth changing it anyway for peace of mind.... Im sure Halfords do them :lol: