PC BUILD ADVICE?

neo-ninja

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, this thread is totally where I would be today if I hadn't started spending all my money on bikes! Some great builds there people, I've just consigned about 5 or 6 old cases to the scrap man last month.

Neo, if you are going to be needind a new tower, thats going to eat into an otherwise reasonable budget for a barebones upgrade, maybe someone here can donate an old case to you? I would have, but you're obviously a bit late... :lol:

That would be amazing if someone did have one kicking around it would help out.

A quick quyestion for people, when i see "unlocked" processors is this something that can be done by an end user with firmware updates etc.. or is this something that has been actually done at factory?

As i have overclocked pcs before but generally it has always been done by myself playing with settings rather then buying something off the shelf overclocked?

A quick quyestion for people, when i see "unlocked" processors is this something that can be done by an end user with firmware updates etc.. or is this something that has been actually done at factory?

As i have overclocked pcs before but generally it has always been done by myself playing with settings rather then buying something off the shelf overclocked?

Its normally done my increasing the multiplier within the motherboards bios, but in the case of current intel chips you do have to have a factory unlocked cpu. For example on a i72600k (the k means its unlocked) ;)

I've just bought a couple of the new AMD Bulldozer 8 core CPU's. They run at 3.6ghz's but are unlocked and although I haven't tested this out will run at 4.0 on air, even higher on water. There's a popup when you bootup asking if you want to overclock, much easier than the old method of fiddling around with multiplier speeds.

Pete

I've just bought a couple of the new AMD Bulldozer 8 core CPU's. They run at 3.6ghz's but are unlocked and although I haven't tested this out will run at 4.0 on air, even higher on water. There's a popup when you bootup asking if you want to overclock, much easier than the old method of fiddling around with multiplier speeds.

Pete

Yeah with a pen and paper working out all the multiples :wacko::headhurt:

Pete

To be fair you can overclock in the bios (the method i prefer) or by running software supplied with the Asus (Intel chipset) motherboard i have ;)

but didnt know the k meant unlocked, is that always the case?

Certainly is in the current range of Intel chips :)

Beavis, what sort of moneys involved in your build, sorry to be nosey.

We usually buy a built pc now but as I kid i did spec my own and spent about 1k on it. It was brill at the time but that was many many years ago lol, ie it had voodoo 3dfx graphic card, 128mb ram, 8gb hard drive lmao...

currently we have a normal system which is crap and takes for every to do anything. I would love something a bit mental but i'm starting to sway towards getting a mac pro

Its normally done my increasing the multiplier within the motherboards bios, but in the case of current intel chips you do have to have a factory unlocked cpu. For example on a i72600k (the k means its unlocked) ;)

I'm sure we used to drop the multiplyer working on a higher frequency so it was faster and had more bandwidth, but you had to be careful because of the northbridge or something. could be wrong though.

Beavis, what sort of moneys involved in your build, sorry to be nosey.

Just for the box of tricks Neil i would have to say easily approx £1500! The case was £130 :surrender: and the psu was £138 alone! :headhurt:

You could easily spend a couple of grand on a ninja pc today.

I'm sure we used to drop the multiplyer working on a higher frequency so it was faster and had more bandwidth, but you had to be careful because of the northbridge or something. could be wrong though.

Yes you are correct and that used to be the case but generally the Intel cpu's of today run with a base clock (BCLK) of 100mhz and you can only really adjust the multiplier. Dont know about the current range of AMD chips though :)

I know Dave, that is very true.

I did learn from my error tho, back when I built my first W/C rig I went with two 8800GTS in SLi and it cost me £700 in GFX alone, never mind the EVGA mobo (£190), Q6600 (£150), 4GB RAM (£100), watercooling gear (£350), various HDDs totaling 4TB storage (£???),850W PSU (£90) and a Lian Li V2000 (£200) to stick it all in :lol:

Clearly that was a time before I had the Zed :)

The only time I kept up on the graphics card front was when I was at uni, if someone wanted a pc built I would basically sell them mine and upgrade with the profits... I remember having 2 voodoo 3dfx cards running sli, with 8mb on each.... I was the envy of the uni, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit in xvga no less with all the bells and whistles....