Decat pipes

JoshThePonce

There are two catalyst elements in the one cat pipe on the DE engined 350s. One before the bend and one after.

soo , still one cat section, if you take them out you no-longer have cats ?

There are two catalyst elements in the one cat pipe on the DE engined 350s. One before the bend and one after.

Yeah, thats right - basically what MaDMaXX's tuner said is right and so is what Mark said.

Yeah, thats right - basically what MaDMaXX's tuner said is right and so is what Mark said.

yeah, so basically you have two banks of catalysts (2 sections) which have 2 catalytic elements internally :)

Yup. one matrix is standard ceramic and the other is metal substrate (i guest 400cell or more looking at how tightly packed it is ;))End result is that the flow is very resticted especially by the ceramic part of the cats :surrender:

Just had a look @ a stock catalyst from a DE car and yes there are 2 matrix's within the cat pipe , the rear 02 sensor is actually in between the 2 matrix's and the front matrix looks fa rmore dense than the rear matrix.

That sounds so restricted, you weren't kidding when you said they're the most restricted part of the 350 exhaust.

Regardless of the MOT issues, what should you look out for when buying de cats? What's this issue with sensor spacers all about? I want de cats for mine, but want ones that fit on properly and have all the right holes etc. I don't want big spacers that make the sensors sit close to the ground as my car is bloody close as it is lol

Do silenced de cats give much more sound?

My japspeed ones were perfect fitting, good looking welds, O2 bungs already fitted. Threw a fault every now and then by apart from that it was perfect. Tracked all last year with them and still in good condition upon a recent inspection

Sensor bungs, or anti foulers, are there to hold the sensor out of the main exhaust stream, hopefully far enough that they don't sense the gasses enough that they think you've got a cat problem and turn on the CEL.

No company worth their salt design them to hang down, so don't worry about that.

Other than that, the only other problem with test pipes/de-cats, is that on the 350, at least, they introduce rasp, which most people don't like. Silenced or resonated de-cats help to remove this.

If you put antifoulers onto decats they do hit the ground mate, i had to take mines off or I would rip the o2 sensors out on the ground.

This is because the japspeed ones come with spacers already fitted.

Erm, this is all dependant on which way the anti foulers point!?!?! if you put them on pointing down, of course they'll hit the ground :doh:

Have you seen japspeed decats??

What your talking about is drilling new holes for the decats, not putting them onto the factory fitted sensor holes.

I'm talking from experience on this.

If you drill new holes then you can put then wherever you want.

Erm, this is all dependant on which way the anti foulers point!?!?! if you put them on pointing down, of course they'll hit the ground :doh:

Have you seen japspeed decats??

What your talking about is drilling new holes for the decats, not putting them onto the factory fitted sensor holes.

I'm talking from experience on this.

If you drill new holes then you can put then wherever you want.

I have not seen the japspeed ones, i'm fitting ART pipes, but that's just dumb IMO, oh well, not everyone designs things properly i guess. Assuming there is no way to turn them? perhaps using a lock nut?

I don't know, I start a nice little discussion, go away for a few days and you all end up talking in some strange code to each other :p

Pleased to report that my thingummys are back on the pipey bits and Z sound like he's got his b0ll0cks back.

Whatever I've got were put on at Abbey Motorsport by the previous owner - and damn good they are too ;)

• 11 months later...

By way of an update - the car failed its MOT again, so had to refit the cats for the re-test and then reverted back to the racing cats a few days later.

Decided to spoil it a bit, cleaned up the pop charger and re-oiled it, cleaned the MAF meter/sensor and fitted new spark plugs and the car is absolutely flying :)

To think I nearly sold it at Christmas - whatever was I thinking!

• 1 year later...

These exhausts you see on ebay (highly polished & cheap) are unbranded toyosports parts. They aren't a brilliant fit, if fitting a decat manifold to my old clio rs200 is anything to go by. As for MOT it really depends on how vigilant the tester is, My old car passed with no advisories having the main cat and resonator removed. Yet I've heard its not uncommon for a tester to fail a car with the main cat removed but still passing emissions.