When to tax a car that is SORN'd?

marzman

Hi guys...

So my Zed has been parked since early December over winter but im starting to get impatient now - i want to get it back on the road :drive1

I declared it SORN so obviously i need to re-tax it - but when is the best time to do this?

If i were to get a tax disk on the 15th February, that would give me 6 months of tax (Mar - Aug) - but would it mean i can drive the zed from the 15th Feb... or would i have to wait until the 1st March??

Also as an aside... my MOT has run out - am i legally allowed to drive to an MOT test with no tax/mot?

Cheers...

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. You CANNOT drive on the road with no tax..... But that means you can't get an MOT. Dilemma. Drive her and risk it. Or get it trailered to the test centre. You can get a mobile person out of course.

I taxed the car on the 21st and got just over 6 months. Woo hoo.

Driving the car to a pre booked MOT with tax is ok!

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. You CANNOT drive on the road with no tax..... But that means you can't get an MOT. Dilemma. Drive her and risk it. Or get it trailered to the test centre. You can get a mobile person out of course.

I taxed the car on the 21st and got just over 6 months. Woo hoo.

Driving the car to a pre booked MOT with tax is ok!

Cheers mate...

Im less concerned about driving to my MOT as it's only half a mile (famous last words :surrender: )

... but what you say about taxing it on the 21st... did you ask anybody if you were allowed to drive it before the 1st of the month or did you know already...?

Yeah, Haha I got pulled for having no tax, showed him my tax disc and he was happy. That was on Sunday. (before the 1st)

Hmmm... so that sounds as i expected - i.e. the system shows you as not being taxed so you shouldnt have been driving i reckon. :lol:

Erm when I taxed my z after it being sorn, it was a week before the end of the month, pretty sure I just lost the thee weeks of that month i.e I only got a weeks "use" of the first month...

Hmm really? I thought that if you tax a car after the 15th of the month it dates it from the 1st of the following month?

Erm when I taxed my z after it being sorn, it was a week before the end of the month, pretty sure I just lost the thee weeks of that month i.e I only got a weeks "use" of the first month...

That is correct, you can only get 6 months or 12 months tax. If you were to tax it for 6 months on the 29th February you would only get 5 months and one day. This also works the other way, if you surrender your tax on the first of the month you will only get a 5 month refund as they only refund the full months that remain unused.

To clear up the 15th of the month rule

If you buy a new disc, and the car is not taxed, then you have to purchase it from the beginning of the month which has already gone, therefore you lose the days.

If you are buying a new disc for a car that already has tax on it you can buy the new disc up to 15 days before the current disc expires, the new disc would then run for 12 months after the current disc, you are not getting anything free but the government is getting your money 15 days early!!

Regarding the law on untaxed vehicles and MOT test

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at:

a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station

an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test station

Pete

That's mental. :blink: Glad I live over here, so your MOT is current as soon as you pay the bill for the next 6 or 12 months whichever it is. :thumbs:

I don't quite understand that :) . The situation here is that to be able to tax your car, you need both an MOT and Insurance. You can get your tax online as the DVLA which issues your tax has a database of your details as it is a requirement that both the garage that does your MOT and your Insurance company to enter all the information online. The only exception or caveat to this is that your MOT must not expire the same month as you apply for your tax. For example if your MOT expires on the 20th February you cannot tax your car on the 1st February. However you can have your car MOT'd early, so if you had it done on the 31st January you can tax it and the MOT would not expire until the 20th February the next year. That also applies to insurance I think. This rule has applied for a few years now, at one time you could go to The Post Office and tax your car even if the insurance and MOT expired the next day. No records were kept by the Post Office staff, they simply glanced at the relevant certificates and if they were current they just issued a tax disc. It was fairly common for people to go long periods without an MOT as back then it was a fairly minor offence.

Pete

at one time you could go to The Post Office and tax your car even if the insurance and MOT expired the next day. No records were kept by the Post Office staff, they simply glanced at the relevant certificates and if they were current they just issued a tax disc. It was fairly common for people to go long periods without an MOT as back then it was a fairly minor offence.

Pete

Yep, my mates dad used to always buy that. He`d buy an old banger with about a weeks MOT left on it, then tax it for 12 months. He`d run it until the tax ran out or the car fell appart - which ever happened sooner. Then he`d scrap it and do the same again!

That's mental. :blink: Glad I live over here, so your MOT is current as soon as you pay the bill for the next 6 or 12 months whichever it is. :thumbs:

I don't quite understand that :) . The situation here is that to be able to tax your car, you need both an MOT and Insurance. You can get your tax online as the DVLA which issues your tax has a database of your details as it is a requirement that both the garage that does your MOT and your Insurance company to enter all the information online. The only exception or caveat to this is that your MOT must not expire the same month as you apply for your tax. For example if your MOT expires on the 20th February you cannot tax your car on the 1st February. However you can have your car MOT'd early, so if you had it done on the 31st January you can tax it and the MOT would not expire until the 20th February the next year. That also applies to insurance I think. This rule has applied for a few years now, at one time you could go to The Post Office and tax your car even if the insurance and MOT expired the next day. No records were kept by the Post Office staff, they simply glanced at the relevant certificates and if they were current they just issued a tax disc. It was fairly common for people to go long periods without an MOT as back then it was a fairly minor offence.

Sorry I should have expanded that. In Kiwiland in order to get your Warrant of Fitness (ie suitable to be driven on public roads), you must have the registered/taxed. Car insurance, believe it or not is not a legal requirement here, which is very unfortunate if you get hit by uninsured dunce. Having said that larger majority are indeed insured. Incidentally both WOF and registration systems here interface, way to catch more out. You can legally drive un WOF'd to get a new WOF, "if" you have booked in.

Anyway, I'm just confusing you guys now. But I find it very interesting the differences.