Great renewal - but only after "shopping around"

andyvvc

Long story short: Flux gave me a renewal of £862 this year.

I'm still waiting for a call back from A-Plan. The best Sky could do was £787 (that included the 20% club discount).

Flux refused to budge...

....confused.com...

....Admiral, Elephant and a few others came out at about £560 with the same car value, protected no-claims, £350 total excess etc.

One call back to Flux - option 4 "I want to cancel my policy". Spoke to a very helpful lady who put me thru to renewals....who promptly "recalculated" my renewal at, oddly, £560 ! :lol:

To save any hassle I've stayed with Flux (unless A-Plan come back with an awesome quote)

Rip-off Britain ? Renewal quotes certainly are....

I'm now paying what i was paying for my 350z insurance 4 years ago...but haven't premiums been going up a lot over the last few years? Clearly not if you shop around and force the insurers hand !

EDIT: This is protected no claims, legal cover, courtesy car, some European cover, fully comprehensive.

Insurance is a strange business ... my Insurance had been going up steadily over the last few years even though I hadn't made any claims ...

This year I managed to save £498 off my premium by switching to Admiral from Bell ... who are the same company really ... I spoke to Bell about the massive difference in quotes and they couldn't explain it either, nor could they match it ... so they recommended I switch to Admiral ... LoL

It definitely pays to shop around!

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

I have spent all morning shopping around and the best quote I've managed to get is £852 with Sky, with a £250 excess.

That's for a 27 year old bloke with 2 motoring convictions in 08 & 09 and also I've only owned the car 2 months.

The next best quote was over £1k.

Not exactly happy to be spending that much on insurance, but I still think it was a good quote considering my circumstances.

Admiral have once again come in cheapest for me, £1200 for the Zed and Alfa (about £600 ea) and thats with business milage too. Their renewal was £200 more than that so did a new quote, gave them the number and they adjusted it :thumbs: That makes it slightly cheaper than last year and added the UpRev to the Zed this time around. It doesnt make a lot of sense :lol:

Yep, theres quite a few threads on here about the insurance scam. They will nearly always jack the price of the renewal up by 100% then drop it like a rock when they think you are moving.

This last few months I got my R1 motorbike insurance renewal down from £150ish to £65. The zed down from £1200 to around £700, the shed down from £750 to £250 (probably the biggest difference in price), and my mums car down from £250 to £100. All from checking prices on confused.com then calling the original insurance company back.

They know that a certain percentage of people will just renew without bothering to check prices and thats what they bank on. I know, my dad always renews his without question, and it was only when I pointed out he`s getting ripped off did he let me look at my mums insurance for her...

Yep, theres quite a few threads on here about the insurance scam.

You're not kidding, I think they outweigh the actual informative content on here now! :wacko::lol:

I know! Maybe we should put up some sort of sticky. Nearly every insurance thread on here ends up talking about the same thing.....