speeding 83mph on the M40

sparky370z

hi people,

please dont slate me for not using the search. :surrender: got a crap connection on my laptop and would like an answer on the problem.

i have been informed that i have been a very naughty boy and was doing 83mph on the M40 (70mph)

i have been told by my fleet manager that quite recently that the other offenders on the firm have been given this speed awareness course.

my question is although i would not take the points would i have to inform the insurance company of the transgression? or could i leave as they would not need to know.

any help on this would be very help please guys.

Just as get my insurance back from the Zed as well. DOH!!!!!! :doh:

If you take the course you don't have to tell anyone in the world. I went on one a few weeks ago, wasn't exactly fun but you do learn a few things. The most annoying thing is having to sit through "discussions" where there's only ever going to be 1 correct answer, and it's never going to come from someone on the course.

Have to say the Zed has caught me out a few times, because of that feeling that you are going slower than you actually are :scare: driving home last night, 9pm, M4 westbound, nothing on the road, it takes concentration NOT to speeed!

i'll take my Ipad and play NFS hot pursuit. LOL

There is a requirement to "actively participate" in the course......

If you have had no speeding convictions in the last 3 years, at 83 mph you should be offered the option of being reprogrammed.

Does that mean a visit to Abbey :lol:

i'll take my Ipad and play NFS hot pursuit. LOL

There is a requirement to "actively participate" in the course......

If you have had no speeding convictions in the last 3 years, at 83 mph you should be offered the option of being reprogrammed.

Does that mean a visit to Abbey :lol:

Nice one, Wesmin, get the car permanently locked into valet mode.

Okay. It all depends upon the local police as to whether they offer you the course or not. Last year I got caught by a mobile speedtrap when I was driving my old shed (not the zed). I was clocked at 82 in a 70 on a dual carriageway. Literally the same week my missus was flashed by a mobile van doing 48 in a 30.

She was immediately offered the speed awareness course and I was offered 3 points & 60quid fine. I wrote to the police asking if I could do the speed awareness course as I was really interested in doin it. At the time I was driving about 35k miles a year, and had a clean license, so felt that doing the course would be of more benefit to me than just some points. The police wrote back and said they didnt offer it for my offense and sort of implied that they only offer it for those speeding offenses they regard as being more dangerous. (i.e. 48 in a 30 is dangerous, whereas 82 in a 70 isnt as bad)

My missus did the course, she actually enjoyed it and learnt a lot from it. I took the 3 points, paid the fine and had my car insurance increase by about 15% upon renewal as a result.

Surely it should be the other way around. If you do something thats a bit naughty (80ish in a 70) they should give you the course. For 48 in a 30 you deserve the book thrown at you IMO as on your clock at the time it could read well over 50!

From my experience of friends being offered the course, it would appear that minor breaches of speed are offered the course.

Okay. It all depends upon the local police as to whether they offer you the course or not. Last year I got caught by a mobile speedtrap when I was driving my old shed (not the zed). I was clocked at 82 in a 70 on a dual carriageway. Literally the same week my missus was flashed by a mobile van doing 48 in a 30.

She was immediately offered the speed awareness course and I was offered 3 points & 60quid fine. I wrote to the police asking if I could do the speed awareness course as I was really interested in doin it. At the time I was driving about 35k miles a year, and had a clean license, so felt that doing the course would be of more benefit to me than just some points. The police wrote back and said they didnt offer it for my offense and sort of implied that they only offer it for those speeding offenses they regard as being more dangerous. (i.e. 48 in a 30 is dangerous, whereas 82 in a 70 isnt as bad)

My missus did the course, she actually enjoyed it and learnt a lot from it. I took the 3 points, paid the fine and had my car insurance increase by about 15% upon renewal as a result.

Now my understanding is that the course is for "mild" speeding offences only. I'm at work ATM so don't have my paperwork with me, but I recall that 42 in a 30 zone was the most you could be doing and still be offered the course. maybe the rules are applied very differently depending which police authority you are in.

While it is true that when you go on the course you will not get three points, you may still need to inform your insurance company. I was offered the course but decided to (anonymously) phone my insurer (admiral) to ask them how/if my premium would be effected either way. They told me that that while I didn't get any points I technically still broke the law, therefore I still needed to inform them that I took the course which could result in a rise.

Might be worth ringing yours and finding out esp when insurers will try every way under the sun not too pay out.

I've heard a few insurers are now asking if you've been on the course. Crock of @*!# if you ask me as the whole point of the course is to keep your license clean so you dont get any ramifications from it. Now if they ask you, you have to tell them, and if you tell them your premium will rise the same as if you had the points! :bang:

It was specifically asked on the course "do you have to tell your insurer" to which they responded "you don't have to tell anyone, not even your wife" :lol:

Apparently they once had a husband and wife both turn up for the same course, but they hadn't told each other. She had "gone shopping" and he was "going to play golf", what a nice surprise that would've been, 4 hours sat next to wife :bangin:

You dont have to inform them, but now they are specifically asking when you get a quote. You cant lie to them otherwise they may void your insurance if they find out. Catch 22 :thumbdown:

but how could they find out? can they ask the police for that information?

And they will find out how exactly?

The tactics that some insurers go to in an effort to knowingly screw people over is a joke. They can dress it up with all this "its the whiplash claims blah blah blah" nonsense all they like. A quick look at their accounts shows a considerably different picture. They are taking the p**s on policy prices and they know it.

I've heard a few insurers are now asking if you've been on the course. Crock of @*!# if you ask me as the whole point of the course is to keep your license clean so you dont get any ramifications from it. Now if they ask you, you have to tell them, and if you tell them your premium will rise the same as if you had the points! :bang:

So my premium should go down if I have been on the course, as I am now a well informed and reformed driver who is very unlikely to be a danger on the road, much less so than when the same insurance company covered me before when I did speed, right?

:thumbs:

So my premium should go down if I have been on the course, as I am now a well informed and reformed driver who is very unlikely to be a danger on the road, much less so than when the same insurance company covered me before when I did speed, right?

:thumbs:

You been taking those pills again?!!! :lol:

As Chris 'I said its a catch 22 situation, screwed if you do, screwed if you don't. Insurers are the devil. Best bet would be too phone up anonymously and find out.

I personally took the points, as i worked out with paying the the extra for the course and missing out on a days pay the difference with the increase in premium was not a lot. Not enough too want to sit in a room like a naughty child for a day!!!