Lacking braking power

Hennett

Hi everyone. I recently fitted myself new discs pads and brake lines and today took her out to carry out the bedding in procedure as reccomended on here. The brake pedal however lacked the sharpness I was expecting and they didn't feel extremely responsive considering they are brand new brakes. I thought perhaps they still had air in the system as this is normally the cause of spongy brakes but they are working enough to stop me so I wasn't sure whether to try bleeding again or if there's something wrong with my disc/pad set up. Anyone have any ideas before I have to take all the wheels off again :thumbdown: ??

Here is exactly what I fitted:

hks braided lines. The discs are PF front and DBA 4000 rear and the pads are PF .01 front and PF Z rated compound rear. New rbf660 fluid too. I followed the bleed procedure and did both nipples on each caliper. The brake pedal needs to be pushed another inch or so before it starts to bite and it was definitely sharper before.

I washed the discs as advised on the bedding in procedure and cleaned with tissue and brake cleaner. Pads were a straight swap however I think I took too long on the brake lines as a lot of fluid was lost and the master cylinder went dry! :doh:

When I bled the system there was a lot of air coming out the first time round, the second time a few bubbles and the third there didn't seem to be any more bubbles coming out so I thought all was ok with that. Is it possible for air to be trapped somewhere further up the system?

Have a look at this if you haven't already, check out the last entry as well.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36291&hilit=bleeding+brake+lines

I think you have found your problem as per your previous reply "Pads were a straight swap however I think I took too long on the brake lines as a lot of fluid was lost and the master cylinder went dry!"

You can bleed the brakes with 900ml of fluid if done correctly, I think you will find that another bleeding is needed, if you dried out.

Cheers Jeff

Have a look at this if you haven't already, check out the last entry as well.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36291&hilit=bleeding+brake+lines

I think you have found your problem as per your previous reply "Pads were a straight swap however I think I took too long on the brake lines as a lot of fluid was lost and the master cylinder went dry!"

You can bleed the brakes with 900ml of fluid if done correctly, I think you will find that another bleeding is needed, if you dried out.

Cheers Jeff

I'm confused as to which order is the correct one for bleeding a 350Z :shrug: I have read numerous different ways on here and I still don't know which to use!

This link viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36291&hilit=bleeding+brake+lines says:

Driver side rear (OSR)

Pass front (NSF)

Pass Rear (NSR)

Driverside Front (OSF)

AND

NSR-OSR-NSF-OSF

This link viewtopic.php?f=59&t=22078 says:

NSR-OSF-OSR-NSF

And this link http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php ... d_Bleeding says:

NSR, OSR, NSF, OSF

So which is it!? :thumbs:

I'm confused as to which order is the correct one for bleeding a 350Z :shrug: I have read numerous different ways on here and I still don't know which to use!

This link viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36291&hilit=bleeding+brake+lines says:

Driver side rear (OSR)

Pass front (NSF)

Pass Rear (NSR)

Driverside Front (OSF)

AND

NSR-OSR-NSF-OSF

This link viewtopic.php?f=59&t=22078 says:

NSR-OSF-OSR-NSF

And this link http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php ... d_Bleeding says:

NSR, OSR, NSF, OSF

So which is it!? :thumbs:

I think this is down to the dual circuit brakes the important thing is

NSR before OSF

AND

OSR before NSF

I've done 2 complete brake changes the last for Waltzinblack his was disks pads and lines we used

NSR-OSF-OSR-NSF Worked fine but took 2 bottles to be 100% air free.

Dan, your issue can only be one of three things or perhaps all mate.

(1) Air in the system.

(2) Incorrectly fitted rotors, remember that the PF and DBA rotors are both directional.

(3) Bed in procedure not completed properly.

Drop me a PM if you require more help with this and I will give you a ring. :thumbs:

If you require more fluid just give me a shout and I will get it shipped out to you. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Thanks for the tips :thumbs:

I bled the brakes again using the brake pedal method, performing 5-6 repeats of this at each nipple of the caliper, in the order of NSR-OSF-OSR-NSR.

I also made sure I had the rotors on the right way round etc which they were :thumbs:

I then performed the brake bedding in procedure as described in the guide but the brakes still feel weak. They stopped me pretty quickly when I slammed the pedal down hard but I still have to push the pedal down a lot further than normal before it bites.

Is it a problem that I performed the bedding in procedure when there is potentially still air in the system? Could I have damaged something by doing this? I still haven't used the car for any normal driving yet as I don't want to mess things up.

Thanks for the tips :thumbs:

I bled the brakes again using the brake pedal method, performing 5-6 repeats of this at each nipple of the caliper, in the order of NSR-OSF-OSR-NSR.

I also made sure I had the rotors on the right way round etc which they were :thumbs:

I then performed the brake bedding in procedure as described in the guide but the brakes still feel weak. They stopped me pretty quickly when I slammed the pedal down hard but I still have to push the pedal down a lot further than normal before it bites.

Is it a problem that I performed the bedding in procedure when there is potentially still air in the system? Could I have damaged something by doing this? I still haven't used the car for any normal driving yet as I don't want to mess things up.

Sounds by your description that there is still some air in the system.

Alex :)

sounds like air in the system to me too. When I had mine fitted. I picked it up and there was air in the system even though they had been bled. Get the installer to bleed them the two man way rather than using one of those brake bleeding kits. This is what my installer had to do in the end to ensure no air was left