'Budget' Alloys for Winter Tyres

Jimmy P

Hi all, I'm planning to stick the mint condition Rays in the garage over the winter along with the tyres and stick some cheapo alloys on with some winter tyres attached. Can anyone suggest a half-decent, reasonably priced set of alloys that look ok on the Zed? Don't want it look :yuck: all winter but don't have £1000s to spend on a set at the moment.

Thanks! :)

Winter tyres wont save you if you hit a patch of ice. They ain't miracle cures that allow you to drive anywhere anytime.

Sensible option would be to buy a £500 FWD shed to drive around in for the winter. It'd work out cheaper than a set of alloys and a set of winter rubber.

Would be cheaper to drive more to the conditions and give the mint rays a refurb in the spring if they need it :thumbs:

Some people seem to think winter tyres will magically make a RWD car with 280+bhp handle like a 4wd :surrender: Not saying the OP or even Zed owners just people in general, heard some beemer owners at work talking the other day :bangin:

:lol: and people wonder why they end up in a ditch when it's icy/snowy! I'm a bit of a wimp in the Zed when it's even remotely damp so no real chance of me losing control, but want the increased stopping power when someone else inevitable does something stoopid! :drive1

not just for the snow, but the colder temps aswell, they really do provide considerable more grip.

but still, whatever tyres you got, you drive to the condition of the road!!!

i dont have to worry about tyres cause i got a shed i use all year round!!! knowing that the z i love is tucked up nice n warm

If u drive sensibly winter tyres are fantastic. The guys are right it won't make ur car a 4x4 but they make a huge difference. The difference between leaving ur zed at home and taking it out most days. Currently running them on my skyline and iv been very impressed.

As far as a shed being cheaper than winter tyres and wheels- true but not when u include running costs especially insurance without no claims

I got a set of oem 18s for £150 on here with an ad in wanted

i was thinking about buying an evo as they are 4wd would be perfect in winter lol!!!

Now you're talking! :lol:

If I can find a decent shed for a grand or less I'll probably go down that route for winter seeing as a set of winter tyres costs about £600 :scare:

Winter tyres wont save you if you hit a patch of ice. They ain't miracle cures that allow you to drive anywhere anytime.

Sensible option would be to buy a £500 FWD shed to drive around in for the winter. It'd work out cheaper than a set of alloys and a set of winter rubber.

not really. Your forgetting insurance, tax and unrelibility issues. Ive drove on ice with winter tyres keep the speed down you will be fine.

If your driving around in a shed with no winter tyres and its cold your a hazard to everyone around you.

not really. Your forgetting insurance, tax and unrelibility issues. Ive drove on ice with winter tyres keep the speed down you will be fine.

If your driving around in a shed with no winter tyres and its cold your a hazard to everyone around you.

+1 esp if the tyres are crap