Need help, studying techniques

leodspider

Hey, a question to those students and ex students alike or anyone for that matter. What do you guys recommend as a good studying technique. i have found two so far, temp closure of Facebook account and stay off the 350z website. Both i have failed to do. i have an exam tomorrow which im stressing over, but i think ive got enough retained to pass. However my next two exams 19th and 21st are the big bad ones!!! so share you knowledge retaining techniques !!!!

I found going through everything and writing out concise notes, especially of anything which I struggled with helped me. I'd then go through those and focus on the points I don't remember when reading them through and mark those points out.

You can still do other things but it should be as a short break, make sure the breaks don't take over!

The only way I found to study was to turn off every electrical distraction on the house :lol: or find a coffee shop somewhere. If your struggling to concentrate in the house.... go somewhere else :thumbs:

A guy from my year, used to book a ferry ticket to france or spain, and just sit in the lounge on the ferry revising. Never go off the ferry, just came straight back.

I found going through everything and writing out concise notes, especially of anything which I struggled with helped me. I'd then go through those and focus on the points I don't remember when reading them through and mark those points out.

You can still do other things but it should be as a short break, make sure the breaks don't take over!

Thats exactly what I do. I find writing stuff out makes me remember it better than if I just read it. And condensing the information into concise notes really makes you think about things.

The biggest problem I found is getting distracted. I hate studying, so end up wandering off to make a coffee, then get distracted by something else. Or quickly check on facebook and end up browsing the net for hours.

I find mornings are better for learning things, my brain seems to slow right down in the afternoon unless im doing something I really enjoy doing.

I basically locked myself in a room, played classical music and wrote everything out by hand...... dont do this typing crap. If you write it out, you are thinking about the topic while writing..... so they say lol. But it worked for me mate :thumbs:

I basically locked myself in a room, played classical music and wrote everything out by hand...... dont do this typing crap. If you write it out, you are thinking about the topic while writing..... so they say lol. But it worked for me mate :thumbs:

+1 :thumbs:

Lock yourself in your room, and keep on writing out your notes - especially for the formulas -> only way to remember them in my opinion.

Chris

I have always been total shite at exams and stuff especially with maths. The last maths exam i did (about a month ago) i literally just did a million examples of all the stuff being covered in the exam and i managed to pull 93% out of my ass (only screwing up on some plus and minus signs while rearranging did i lose marks).

Honestly best thing i found was to just do the stuff over and over and over again. Then another time for good measure lol

Yeah repetition was always my thing too! For wordy stuff I'd write out concise notes as has been suggested and then keep going over them, covering them up and reciting all the key points and then glancing down to see if there was anything I'd forgotten. Read again, recite again and keep going until it's all in there!

For anything technical I'd just keep doing as many examples from text books, past exam papers, etc. until I was happy I'd got it nailed.

I don't envy you though, I loved my time at uni but I'm not sure I'd fancy doing it all again with all the coursework and exams!

Yeah repetition was always my thing too! For wordy stuff I'd write out concise notes as has been suggested and then keep going over them, covering them up and reciting all the key points and then glancing down to see if there was anything I'd forgotten. Read again, recite again and keep going until it's all in there!

For anything technical I'd just keep doing as many examples from text books, past exam papers, etc. until I was happy I'd got it nailed.

I don't envy you though, I loved my time at uni but I'm not sure I'd fancy doing it all again with all the coursework and exams!

+1

And also currently killing me at the moment. Thermo/fluid dynamics is particularly doing my nut at the moment lmao

+1 on classical music. Piano solo playing a bit of classical is supposed to stimulate the brain.

I used to make notes and stick them in random places and I'd find them and eventually the info stuck.

+1 on classical music. Piano solo playing a bit of classical is supposed to stimulate the brain.

-1 for me. I find music distracts me and I end up listening to that instead and my mind wanders, then i spend ages picking the next song to play..... nightmare for me!

so ive been studying since 10 ( fell asleep during the day ) , havent got much done so im fooked for this exam today, i hate , i repeat, hate thermodynamics !!!! instead of studying , rabbitstew , i read your whole pie blog .... yip im gonna get a pie after this exam and drown my sorrows on it.