Winter tyre suggestion + prices pls?

HassanZ

Hi all,

I am planning on commuting to work in my Zed on a daily basis (motorway driving) and I'm contemplating purchasing a set of winter tyres as I'm sure my Potenza's will be useless in the snow :drive1

Anyone have any tyre recommendations? I'm after a set that won't send me in a ditch but are very well priced at the same time.

I appreciate your help guys :thumbs:

Regards,

Hassan

Got mine from mytyres.co.uk. Ordered them 2 weeks ago for the skyline go them 4 days later

I posted a thread on here a while back have a look through it cos one of the members recommended 5 or so companies to try

I also ordered from mytyres.co.uk well in advance of the possible rush on winter rubber.

Nankang SV-2 one set of, cost a little over £400.

You can survive in the snow with the Potenzas, I managed it on RE040 in heavy snow from Cologne, Germany via EuroTunnel back to East Anglia....only took 18 hours total, lol

rare rims had a thrwad on this and offered a range of suitable tyres for the zed and sensible prices

I got in touch with Ben from rare rims, he had few winter tyres left but helped point me in the right direction to get mine. I paid around £430

I've been ringing around, no one seems to have any stock left!! :scare:

And you find that strange given that we are at xmas? As the others have said, you need to order in the Autumn, around Sept/Oct to beat any rush.

Zed can handle snow on summer tyres if you are a good driver, but I wouldnt recommend it. I made it back a couple of years ago from Slough to Basingstoke when most other users on the road were giving up, even in FWD cars. Just have to take it steady and keep moving. Or just not go out when it snows ;)

And you find that strange given that we are at xmas? As the others have said, you need to order in the Autumn, around Sept/Oct to beat any rush.

Zed can handle snow on summer tyres if you are a good driver, but I wouldnt recommend it. I made it back a couple of years ago from Slough to Basingstoke when most other users on the road were giving up, even in FWD cars. Just have to take it steady and keep moving. Or just not go out when it snows ;)

:lol: I know I did decide slightly late :blush:

I drove my BMW 330ci M sport with an automatic transmission in the snow last year, I'm sure the 350z ain't as bad as a 3.0 litre auto BMW with different summer tyres on each axle is it?! :lol:

I live right next to main roads which tend to be clear by the time I get out the house anyway, so I'm sure it should be okay.

I drove my BMW 330ci M sport with an automatic transmission in the snow last year, I'm sure the 350z ain't as bad as a 3.0 litre auto BMW with different summer tyres on each axle is it?! :lol:

I live right next to main roads which tend to be clear by the time I get out the house anyway, so I'm sure it should be okay.

Oh, no worries, the 350Z only has a bigger engine, more torque and virtually no weight over the rear axle, you'll be fine. :lol::lol::lol:

I remember struggling to get out of a service station / reststop in Belgium, luckily a few guys in a truck behind me jumped out and offered to help.

Next thing I know is I got my boot open and two guys sitting in it and one guy pushing, once I got moving they jumped out and closed the rear hatch and waved me good bye.

Oh, no worries, the 350Z only has a bigger engine, more torque and virtually no weight over the rear axle, you'll be fine. :lol::lol::lol:

I remember struggling to get out of a service station / reststop in Belgium, luckily a few guys in a truck behind me jumped out and offered to help.

Next thing I know is I got my boot open and two guys sitting in it and one guy pushing, once I got moving they jumped out and closed the rear hatch and waved me good bye.

OI stop scaring me!! :blush::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OI stop scaring me!! :blush::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh and on that same trip, on the A12 near Colchester, on a downslope exit ramp, the car went and spun, did like a 270 degree spin narrowly avoiding a ditch, lucky for me the Police was on top of the sliproad and came to my assistance with a shovel to dig me out

I also ordered from mytyres.co.uk well in advance of the possible rush on winter rubber.

Nankang SV-2 one set of, cost a little over £400.

I also ordered a set of Nankangs from Mytyres.co.uk - ordered on 22nd November, arrived on 25th. They didn't have any 235/50 profile left, so had to get 225/45 and 235/45. Upside of this is that set of 4 for the JDM 17 wheels was only £330 - then local guy charged me £10 each to fit so all in all, very cost effective. (So then I went wild and spent an extra £1 each on Nitrogen!)

Downside of the 45 profiles is that these are obviously slightly smaller so my speedo now reads a bit higher (though I double check speeds on the SatNav)

I'm now actually looking forward to some snow to try them out in - they seem perfectly OK in the wet and cold, though I'm driving fairly conservatively so far. I was planning a proper review once I'd had some snow experience on them, so more to come on this topic!

Last winter I managed some short trips on side roads that were unsalted and snowed over - but if I'd had to stop I'd have been stuck! Although just getting the car out of the garage and up onto my upwards sloping drive required 20 minutes of cracking ice and shovelling.

I carry a small shovel and a tub of salt - that will often be enough to get you rolling again if you're careful. My shovel is an ex-German army entrenchment tool. Bought it at a surplus store for only a few quid. Quite heavy, but it folds up small and is all steel, so tough enough to crack through ice.

This year I've put on some Kumho KW27s which will hopefully keep the car useable. I have an old defender 110 with narrow-but-chunky mud tyres on that copes with almost anything, but that's freezing cold and damp inside!

What size wheels do you have? On the JDM 17s it's the rears that are tricky - 235/50/17s are difficult to find.

I've used these guys and they're good: http://www.reifen.com/en

They show a "ready for immediate dispatch" icon which is accurate. I've been let down by other suppliers who will take the order despite having no stock.

I've no association with that site, just had two transactions I was happy with (one successful, and one where they could not source the tyres but gave me clear options for taking them up on an alternative or cancelling for a refund).

cheers

Ian