Motorway Variable Speed Cameras, Anyone been done?

slimjim

Been spending quite a bit of time on the motorway the last few weeks...

Mostly up and down the M6 J10A - J8 and back. Where the variable speed cameras are, that control speeds up and down.

One set will say 50, the next may say 60 then switch between them all or just stay at one all the way.

Anyway, I always stick to the specified speed. If it is 50, I will do 50-55. 60, I will do 60-66.

While I am doing this LOADS of cars come past me doing at least 70-80.

Just wondered if anyone knew if these impatient people get punished for it or not?

Just out of interest.... B)

I go round the M42 now and again, and I stick to them, as I regularly see the camera's in the opposite direction going off.

I think they have a 10% tolerance, so when they say 50mph you will be flashed at 56mph

Edit* Don't take my word for it though. Its your fault if you get flashed :headhurt:

Been spending quite a bit of time on the motorway the last few weeks...

Mostly up and down the M6 J10A - J8 and back. Where the variable speed cameras are, that control speeds up and down.

One set will say 50, the next may say 60 then switch between them all or just stay at one all the way.

Anyway, I always stick to the specified speed. If it is 50, I will do 50-55. 60, I will do 60-66.

While I am doing this LOADS of cars come past me doing at least 70-80.

Just wondered if anyone knew if these impatient people get punished for it or not?

Just out of interest.... B)

I see this a lot on the M25 stretch to the bridge where the roadworks are, I would like to think they are all getting points and fined but I doubt it, still not worth the risk though :shrug:

SO many conflicting stories about these sodding things. Some people say they aren't 'ON' unless they display a speed, some people say that if they aren't displaying a speed then they only catch you over 70, some people say they are actually higher than that.. 80 or so because if it was 70 the computers would overload with the amount of paperwork :lol:

The only thing that seems to be agreed is that if they display a speed in a red circle, then they will flash you if you break it. If there's no red circle then I don't know.

I think they are a huge waste of money though. I don't think sitting at dead 70 with the cruise control on is as safe as if you have people doing speeds from 60-85, it keeps you more switched on imo.

Plus they are a huge waste of time and money, all those ridiculous average speed sections and roadworks seem to have JUST been to build those cameras!

M25 was boring enough! :angry::rant:

It’s like everything else with speed enforcement, all very wishy washy. :rant:

I have been through the ones they had at the A1 M1 Junction two years ago, every day for a year, and with every day that passed, I went faster and faster through them, without a notice to prosecute. I can only conclude that they didn’t work that well or there were so many people going through too fast they couldn’t be bother to administer the claims.

It all just so bloody inconvenient, just do a bit at a time rather than cone off 20 miles of road for some already over stressed drivers. :headhurt:

If it says 50, I do 50. Why risk doing a couple more mph for a few miles just to shave 30 secs off your journey, and risk getting a ticket? It's not like you don't know the cameras are there :shrug: Stick it on cruise and relax.

Not a dig a you Jim, more at the people who go flying past doing whatever speed they like. I genuinely don't get it, same as with the people who sit at 85 on the motorway until they see a copper and then slow down to 65: Police could be hiding anywhere with a camera, so why not just do a speed that you'd be happy driving past a marked car at?

Car speedos over-read and there is a tolerance on what the cameras are set to and so if it is a 50 limit I do an indicated 60 as I know I'm fine at this speed. The muppets who religiously stick to an indicated 48mph to be safe but refuse to move over really get on my tits.

The permanent average cameras on the M25 where it meets the M4 are dangerous as they are usually always set at 40mph no matter what the traffic. I've been past at nearly twice that speed several times when it was very free flowing because I felt it was safer to stay with the flow of the traffic rather than brake down to that speed in the outside lane.

I've not had any tickets thankfully but I was fully expecting to get one.

I was flashed on the M25 at 10pm, no signs were active in terms warning ie 50mph. What I thnk happened was the police noticed I was doing over the speed limit and switched on the last gantry camera. I'd already flown threw 10+ other cameras, so I don't think it's automatic. I received 3 points and a fine.

So although it wasn't during peak times when they are active, I believe they still have control to take pictures as and when they feel like it. Fair cop though I was speeding.