Are ther two types of Handbrake system

Dicky

I assume there are two types of handbrake operating systems on the Z’s. Ive got a 2004 and the garage quoted two prices to adjust, £15 for one system & £64 the other

(apparently bits need to be removed on the more expensive type)

I thought the handbrake would operate shoes inside the rear wheel disc assembly via connecting cables. However when I took the rear wheels off today there were no cables going to the back wheel only a hydraulic pipe to the caliper.

Does type 1 consist of cables from the handbrake to the rear discs to operate the shoes and type 2 a cable to some device that converts the mechanical action of pulling the handbrake on into a hydraulic pressure to operate the shoes?

My workshop manual (USA cars) shows only the cable method. :wacko:

Cheers all

There is only one type as far as I know and adjustment will take around 15 minutes.

Rear wheels off to access the brake shoe adjusters and ash tray out to access the cable adjuster.

Alex. :)

Cheers Alex, but why would the stealers quote two prices and say one type requires more bits to be removed?

Also does your car have handbrake cables going to each rear wheel?

Cheers Dicky

There is only one type as far as I know and adjustment will take around 15 minutes.

Rear wheels off to access the brake shoe adjusters and ash tray out to access the cable adjuster.

Alex. :)

Cheers Alex, but why would the stealers quote two prices and say one type requires more bits to be removed?

Also does your car have handbrake cables going to each rear wheel?

Cheers Dicky

Don't know why they would quote you two prices mate, perhaps there are two types that I am not aware of.

There is a cable going to each rear wheel which hooks up to the handbrake shoes inside the disc/drum.

So one adjuster in each drum in one adjuster inside the cabin.

Alex.

:)

Stealers dont always get it right chap. They thought my squeaky arb was the clicky rear axle problem and were about to charge me several hundred quid when i decided on a second opinion :dry:

+1

If this is a Nissan dealer (and not an HPC) you can almost guarantee they do not know what they're looking at - go get a second opinion from an independent :thumbs:

Cheers Chaps,

Im quite confident in this dealers abilities. Ive used them for 7yrs now and always been spot on. Im no expert but after years of fixing my old bangers I can generally tell when the wool's being pulled.

But take your point. Im jacking the Z up again tomorrow to take another look see. If I cant sort it I'll find the wife a little paper round or something to pay the garage bill. :lol:

Thanks once again, Dicky

Get them to visually show you were the hydraulic parts of the handbrake are, take pics of what they are pointing out.

If they ask why you are taking pictures, just say you want to post them up on the owners club to share this new information :teeth:

id be suprised if there is two as mines barely works......

Get them to visually show you were the hydraulic parts of the handbrake are, take pics of what they are pointing out.

If they ask why you are taking pictures, just say you want to post them up on the owners club to share this new information :teeth:

Will do if I take it in.

By the way, the girl in the picture, can you tell her Ive got a big horn she can use to put those jeans on if she'd like!

Steady on there lads a SHOE HORN I mean ---- some people eh :yahoo:

:clap::lol: good idea Mark

Can you adjust the zed handbrake in the cabin like on most cars? As they might be referring to just tightening it up from within for £15, or doing a propper job with the wheels off for £64 :shrug:

GOOD POINT! Although Id be surprised if they only adjusted the handbrake cable tension without adjusting the shoes on the wheels, I would have thought they should be done together (Not sure).

I replaced the front and rear pads today and didn’t bother with the handbrake because I couldn’t see anything other than the hydraulic fluid flexi hose going onto the wheel. Didn’t see any handbrake cable as the workshop manual shows??? I'm getting on a bit and the old lamp light might be fading a tad. My mate's coming tomorrow to have a look as well (he was a fitter and is quite good with cars)

Best thing to do I guess, is to take out the ashtray and loosen the cable.

Then pop the wheels off, one at the time if you prefer, and rotate the disc until the rubber cover is at 12 o clock position, remove said cover and adjust the brake adjuster wheel with a flat blade screwdriver until the disc doesn't rotate anymore, back off a few notches and replace rubber cover and replace wheel, repeat on the other side.

once everything is back on, adjust the cable inside behind ashtray to your liking and jobs a good 'un.

(Should I have omitted anything, I'm sure Alex or somebody will point it out)

Hope this helps

Here is a guide showing that includes the handbrake set up

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16773&hilit=handbrake+adjustment

Non-Brembo calipers in that case but the handbrake set-up is the same .

Cheers Colin,

That’s handy. Picture 6 seems to show the handbrake cable going to the wheel. I must of missed it on mine, god knows how though cos its big enough! :doh:

Dicky

Best thing to do I guess, is to take out the ashtray and loosen the cable.

Then pop the wheels off, one at the time if you prefer, and rotate the disc until the rubber cover is at 12 o clock position, remove said cover and adjust the brake adjuster wheel with a flat blade screwdriver until the disc doesn't rotate anymore, back off a few notches and replace rubber cover and replace wheel, repeat on the other side.

once everything is back on, adjust the cable inside behind ashtray to your liking and jobs a good 'un.

(Should I have omitted anything, I'm sure Alex or somebody will point it out)

Hope this helps

Cheers young man and thanks once again to everyone youve all been very helpfull (hope you dont expect dosh for the advice though?).

If my mate and I can’t sort it tomorrow I'll just have to get the wife to look at it :scare: .

The little treasure!

YES I am a tit :dummy:

YES I need better glasses B)

Yes I’ve wasted everyone’s time :thumbdown:

Yes I am at this very moment eating the biggest humble pie that Tesco’s has to offer! :snack:

Cos I got the whole bloody brake thing wrong. :wacko: There are brake cables going to each rear wheel and not just the hydraulic pipe (how I missed them I’ll never know, missing on both wheels as well)

Anyway the brakes are as everyone suggested.

So I stripped both handbrake assemblies down cleaned and lub’ed where necessary. I also noticed that both sets of shoes were “glazed†so rubbed them with rough sand paper along with the drum face, reassembled. and adjusted.

Guess what the hand brake is now bloody marvellous now, holding even on my steep drive (its never done that since new!)

Thanks once again and SORRY :blush: