Anyone know much about bathrooms/showers?

ric

Hey guys!

Have a shower unit in the house, which is working perfectly, but the hose from the unit to the nozzle (Is that what you call it?!) has a very slight split. It isn't too bad at the moment, but can see its very slowly getting worse, so want to replace it.

I can see that the hose basically just unscrews from the bottom of the shower unit, and can be replaced fairly easily, but, I really fancy getting one of those "Rain" showers (or shower heads should I say).

The only thing is, I can only really find them as whole fixed units, where as I kinda want one that will just have a hose on the end so it just screws in?

Does anyone have any idea where I can get something like that? Tried the various wickes/focus type places, but no-where has anything, and suggested I try somewhere more specific to shower units, but not sure where to go.

Cheers in advance!

what type of system do you currently run?

is it a power shower or run off the water pressure?

I know what you're thinking RT ...

... not suitable for low pressure gravity systems i.e. a bigger shower head will not necessarily allow a greater flow of water ... may as well just replace what you've got

if the current water system is something like a pressurized system its fine, but if its run off a gravity feed it might not like it. or if its a power shower it might be fine.

i'm currently doing a bathroom at the moment, it had a bath and no shower, so i've plumbed in the pipes and just waiting to tile before i can fit the unit. but its a pressured system which makes it easy. as i can bolt what ever the hell i like on to it. as all i have to worry about is the 2 pipes coming out of the wall.

i'm setting it up as a twin shower, so a large rain type shower head and a 2nd shower head to be used in the bath etc.

i'm not sure you can get just a bolt on rain head; usually you have to buy the whole caboodle. with tap section etc.

what type of system do you currently run?

is it a power shower or run off the water pressure?

I know what you're thinking RT ...

... not suitable for low pressure gravity systems i.e. a bigger shower head will not necessarily allow a greater flow of water ... may as well just replace what you've got

+1

I most favour the triton type electric shower. They have inline pumps and have a variety of modes. It still needs to be fed from a mains source though. Pretty simple to install in most cases but you will require an electrician to install the power supply and double pole isolator.

Make sure if you already have one installed that you make sure the cables are sized correctly for the new shower.

I have a triton shower at home with the large head. Works flawlessly. Don't buy a cheap one as it will be very bad no doubt.

Most rain type showers come from a boosted water supply and are supplied from the usual inlets to the bath. If your cold water is from a storage cistern then you may have to repipe it from the mains as when someone turns on a tap elsewhere the cold water to the shower drops in flow rate and you will get a very hot fright in the shower.

Best thing i ever done was get rid of my 10.5 kw electric shower and had a mixer shower feed from my combi boiler installed. Amazing pressure as my boiler is up stairs and my shower is down stairs. Also costs a fraction of the cost to run and wont need replaced every 3 years. ;)

Sorry, didn't spot the other replies. So, this is the kinda thing I meant (I think I might have accidentally found exactly what I'm looking for):

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-2576.aspx

I'm assuming the end of the hose just fits onto my unit?

Cheers again,

yes that looks like it will do the job, just as long as the connection is the same.

as for power showers, they do a job when replumbing is not an option. i personally love my full pressurised system. means i can use mixer taps etc and no issues with suprise hot cold moments etc. and alwyas have brilliant water force when in the shower.

Think industry thread is 1/2" bsp. :thumbs:

thats what i'm currently using.

also check what joint its using, if its a straight thread (requires lots of plumbers tap to seal the joint), or tapered thread (generally seals itself, but a bit of plumbers tape for luck), or if it uses an olive joint.

Could ask my brother to answer all your questions, he should know he sells bathrooms for a living and the family own a bathroom place, but alas I know nothing all I know is we have one hell of a pump and a rain shower with a head about a foot and a half across, I love it.