Motorised Cubby

spursmaddave

Not posted anything in here for a while as I have been unbelievably busy :surrender:

But a couple of months back a member was selling a Jap SatNav cubby (without all the associated electrics) so I thought I would take a punt.

I knew it would fit in my Zed but after reading up on retro fitting motorised cubbies (mainly in the US) I thought I had made a mistake as it looked insanely difficult.

I looked on utube and found this -

After looking at the button on the cubby and reading up it was obvious that I lacked the technical ability to make relays etc etc so I sulked for a bit then had an idea.... why not bypass the button on the cubby and use a seperate switch to drive the motor....

It Worked :yahoo:

So first attempt looked like this -

I looked around for a better switch, couldn't find a perfect one but this one is near enough -

90027257.jpg?t=1318005125

Moved the heated seat switch so it looks even.

Then I had to decide what to put in the cubby :blush: maybe I should have thought about that first...

Now I already have a Pioneer f900bt which does EVERYTHING, but the screen is small and fiddly for satnav and if you want to have the ipod screen you cant have the satnav screen.....

So I looked at a cookbot tablet, very very cool and nice with the odbII screen etc but dont think I would use it that much and could get costly with data downloads for satnav etc.

Thought about making a little carPC and getting a screen, but a lot of work...

Looked at stand alone satnavs but most were too small (4" or 5")

Then the other weekend I say a Panoramic Navman with a 7" screen :yahoo:

Bought it and straight away dismantled it :lol:

All working so I set about soldering, glueing and generally messing about with it until it fitted...

9d40a696.jpg?t=1318005102

Now that was by no means an easy feat :surrender:

So then back into the car -

Not hard wired in yet until I am completely happy all is working ok.... only niggle, the battery won't charge, not a huge issue but makes updating it tricky, but I have ordered a mains charger that should sort it out, if not a new battery too....

Some more pics, you can see how big the screen is compared to the Pioneer B)

4420016d.jpg?t=1318005113

48088bf9.jpg?t=1318005084

42ed6dcd.jpg?t=1318005138

The lid retracts a bit further in now which looks better...

Just some other cosmetics to take care of and I will be happy :thumbs:

Next thing if the satnav works ok is to replace my Pioneer with a JVC AVX840

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9bfVEhRJ-Q&feature=related

And sell the Pioneer to some lucky member ;)

Thanks for looking :teeth:

• 4 weeks later...

Trim arrived from Concept Z Performance today and I got a push button off eBay and decided where to put it :thumbs:

Looks nice and neat now :D

9001ece7.jpg?t=1320429669

Nice small button hidden nicely out of the way, basically just a reset button and off button to preserve the battery in the satnav so it boots nice and quickly when you start the car up :thumbs:

ec57e670.jpg?t=1320429674

Going to get my new HU in the morning :yahoo:

Look!!, He's got Smurf boots :thumbs::thumbs:B)

Trim arrived from Concept Z Performance today and I got a push button off eBay and decided where to put it :thumbs:

Looks nice and neat now :D

9001ece7.jpg?t=1320429669

Nice small button hidden nicely out of the way, basically just a reset button and off button to preserve the battery in the satnav so it boots nice and quickly when you start the car up :thumbs:

ec57e670.jpg?t=1320429674

Going to get my new HU in the morning :yahoo: