Road Pricing / Tracking petition

Kuro

May have been posted before, but probably worth repeating;

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Sign up if you'd prefer NOT to have some dodgy tracking device installed in your Zed :)

Taken from the email:

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month. On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedom and stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible.

:scare:

Signed :thumbs:

The government have got this the wrong way round IMO. Rather penalise the drivers and force them off the road with (more) enormous tax bills, public transport infrastructure should be improved to such a degree that people *want* to travel by this method.

ATM, public transport simply sucks (generally). There is no way I could go about my day job (Area Sales Manager) without my car.

I have heard Ministers in the past saying that these tracking devices would *not* be used to monitor speeds. What they say and what they do is often not the same thing though...........................

Nice one guys :)

public transport infrastructure should be improved to such a degree that people *want* to travel by this method.

ATM, public transport simply sucks (generally).

Agreed.

In Berlin for example, the transport system is stunning. You buy a day ticket for 6 euros, and you can use this on ANY form of transport, Bus, Tram, UBhan, SBhan etc. The transport system is completely integrated, and is on time, virtually to the second.

Then you come back to the UK and see how far £4 will get you. (it won't even get you home from the airport...) :scare:

Signed.

and 27 others added in the 30 seconds it took me to verify it!

What worries me about this, is how easy some geeks may find it to clone the transmitter, to effectively put your car at the scene of a crime etc - or whether some may simply wire up the tracker in their garage and take the car out untracked, and pottentially uninsured.

A big can of worms with pottentially massive overhead costs to be paid for in yet more tax.

Signed.

and 27 others added in the 30 seconds it took me to verify it!

What worries me about this, is how easy some geeks may find it to clone the transmitter, to effectively put your car at the scene of a crime etc - or whether some may simply wire up the tracker in their garage and take the car out untracked, and pottentially uninsured.

A big can of worms with pottentially massive overhead costs to be paid for in yet more tax.

Agreed!

I just had a laugh at looking at some of the other petitions. Some of them are hilarious or just plain stupid!

if they do do this - they will HAVE to get every car fitted with a limiter to not allow you to stray over speed limits whatever the limit is on that road - otherwise they will be raking in the cash as every woman and man even the most careful will stray over the limit at some point ................... oh ... hold on ... now i see ..... aaaahhhh ..... it's almost as if ....... no hold on .... that would be silly ....... nah .. the government would never want to do that ... would they !?

:dry: