project not starting!

zxalex

I bought my nissan 350z fairlady auto as a "project" lol. I have heard it running twice before I bought it but the guy that had it started it by crossing it at the starter motor with a screw driver as would not start from key. It has had a bit of a bash in the passenger side wing lol. I thought as we were trying to jump it with a starter pack that once i got it home charged the battery fully and refitted it would maybe start as sometimes the dead battery goes away with the power. I also tried earthing battery to engine to give an extra earth in case the earth strap was broken..... probably doesn't have an earth strap lol. All that happens is when turning the key is most of the ignition and pod lights go out. Fuel pump and everything all come on as normal though.

Any advice appreciated.

OK First stupid question - did you press the clutch before turning the key?

Secondly - It doesn't matter if you were using a battery booster or jump leads if the car was getting enough juice to start by shorting the starter with a screwdriver then it had enough to start with a the key.

Which leads me to believe - either you have a knackered solenoid or some other wiring issue.

Can you hear the solenoid click when you turn the key?

Canyou stat the car with the screwdriver trick?

OK First stupid question - did you press the clutch before turning the key?

Secondly - It doesn't matter if you were using a battery booster or jump leads if the car was getting enough juice to start by shorting the starter with a screwdriver then it had enough to start with a the key.

Which leads me to believe - either you have a knackered solenoid or some other wiring issue.

Can you hear the solenoid click when you turn the key?

Canyou stat the car with the screwdriver trick?

Solenoid... good answer thanks

yes it does start with the screwdriver trick. :)

Dam - would have loved it if you had said - Yes :lol:

I really should read what people write -

Try running a live from the battery to the solenoid ignition side see if it kicks in - or stick a volt meter on there see if you get anything when the key is turned - if you get nothing then it aint the solenoid.

Good Luck :thumbs:

There is a small wire that comes off the starter, make sure that it is connected.

However, low mileage preowned starter motors in stock and ready for immediate shipping if required :thumbs:

Alex. :)

what happened to your old motto alex, in stock and good to go? I dont like this new one :)

There is a small wire that comes off the starter, make sure that it is connected.

However, low mileage preowned starter motors in stock and ready for immediate shipping if required :thumbs:

Alex. :)

what happened to your old motto alex, in stock and good to go? I dont like this new one :)

Time for a wee change Neil as I was recently reminded that it was becoming tiresome, so blame them. Step forward, you all know who you are. :lol::lol::lol:

Actually I thought that it had went unnoticed. :lol::lol::lol:

I think you have misinterpreted this as criticism, please revert immediately, it's the best bit of sub conscience advertising I've seen for ages, mate it's your catch phrase, tag line or whatever :thumbs::thumbs: Think of Zman and you know "it's good to go", or if it isn't it will be soon :thumbs::thumbs:

How do you think I feel "Papa Smurf" FFS!!? :lol::lol::blush:

Balls! :lol: No-one ever said it was 'tiresome' - it simply became a bit of a catch-phrase on the Hoon... :p

To please you Mother we can always revert :p:lol: