Running in period

ioneabee

due to the pending arrival - I asked the dealer what running in restrictions should i adhere to - he said none at all

this is quite contrary to 99% of everything I've read (apart from the one website which said high revs are needed to bed the "rings" ? in)

anyone know what the recomendations are from Nissan ?

Not 100 pct on this one pal, as mine already had 8000 on the clock when I got her, but was told (by local garage owner)that if you try your best to keep her under 3 or 4 thousand revs till the oil is at a decent temp, and don't 'thrash' till 3 thousand at least on clock, all should be well. Modern engines though. I honestly rely on others words! I somtimes wish I'd joined the forces as an engineer!!! :wacko:

Handbook says (5-2) for the first 1200 miles do not run the engine over 4000rpm and no harsh acceleration/braking or driving at constant speeds as it "may result in shortened engine life and reduced engine performance".

These days with modern oils my understanding is that as long as revs are built up progressively rather than foot to the floor, and and you do not start off doing emergency stops it is unlikely any harm will be done. With oil temperature guage in the 370 that also helps to signal when you might need to ease back bearing in mind that if you start seeing 120 degrees+ that is getting near to when the oil properties start to break down but you should not get anywhere near that, unless on track..... :teeth:

Also had a debate recently about bedding in brakes but frankly with the OEM discs and pads progressive application towards hard braking should be fine - just think how many new cars are run by non-enthusiasts and you don't hear of issues.

Basically, just don't drive it like you stole it for the first thousand miles or so :lol:

Tyres should also be run in for about 200 miles, no hard cornering. From what I understand they are coated with some sort of release agent which is quite slippery. Modern engines don't really need running in as they are built to much higher tolerances than engines of yesteryear, but I must admit to running mine in to 3.5k revs for the first 1,000 miles...old habits die hard :lol:

Pete

I'm sure I read that most modern engines effectively leave the factory pre-run in. But you should still take it easy for the first few hundre miles because every component on the car needs time to 'bed in'. Just don't drive like a tw@t for the first 1,000 miles and I'm sure you'll be fine. :thumbs:

And also remember that Nissan have recorded a "running-in" period and if something did happen to the engine with the plug-in electronics and examination of the failed parts they can do these days, or they saw the brakes had been overheated and found evidence of mis-use that might well affect a warranty claim. Better to be safe than sorry.

Handbook says (5-2) for the first 1200 miles do not run the engine over 4000rpm and no harsh acceleration/braking or driving at constant speeds as it "may result in shortened engine life and reduced engine performance".

These days with modern oils my understanding is that as long as revs are built up progressively rather than foot to the floor, and and you do not start off doing emergency stops it is unlikely any harm will be done. With oil temperature guage in the 370 that also helps to signal when you might need to ease back bearing in mind that if you start seeing 120 degrees+ that is getting near to when the oil properties start to break down but you should not get anywhere near that, unless on track..... :teeth:

Also had a debate recently about bedding in brakes but frankly with the OEM discs and pads progressive application towards hard braking should be fine - just think how many new cars are run by non-enthusiasts and you don't hear of issues.

Basically, just don't drive it like you stole it for the first thousand miles or so :lol:

If it was my car - What he said! :thumbs:

I took it easy for about 150 miles then it got the better of me I'm afraid.

I took it easy for about a 10th of that :lol:

When I picked mine up from an HPC their GTR Tech said to get the oil warm then build up the revs over a few increasing runs. Worst thing you can apparently do is to sit at the same revs and part throttle a lot with a new engine. That can be worse than anything that can happen giving it a good ragging when warm. Main thing to watch is the tyres and brakes. They both need a bit of bedding in before you can fully lean on them, and IMO this is why they impose these running in periods - purely to stop people ragging a car they dont know and trying to nail it on the manufacturer.

My car has now done 15k miles, hasnt missed a beat and hasnt used any real amount of oil.

When I picked mine up from an HPC their GTR Tech said to get the oil warm then build up the revs over a few increasing runs. Worst thing you can apparently do is to sit at the same revs and part throttle a lot with a new engine. That can be worse than anything that can happen giving it a good ragging when warm. Main thing to watch is the tyres and brakes. They both need a bit of bedding in before you can fully lean on them, and IMO this is why they impose these running in periods - purely to stop people ragging a car they dont know and trying to nail it on the manufacturer.

My car has now done 15k miles, hasnt missed a beat and hasnt used any real amount of oil.

To be honest I think I asked a question about running in periods and you gave me similar advice. I report no problems with the engine at all :) to be honest pampering it to 1500 miles or so would have been a painful task and as I've had the car since June last year and still haven't cracked 6k it would have been painful driving like a granny up to 1500 miles!

hmm this could be a problem !!

the run home is 50miles of motorway and dual carriageway, I ve then got a 2 weeks of normal motoring that I can be, lets say flexible, then I've got another run upto Stratford upon Avon at the end of October - so on the whole at the start there's going to be a lot of same revs/part throttle :shrug:

Take the fun way home :drive1

When I took delivery of mine it was the day before the Wales run last May. We had to go back roads all the way to north Wales just to avoid the motorways but it was good fun.

I would definately suggest that the first few hundred miles you avoid motorway driving. On the way home take the A and B roads, get her nice and warm and then have some fun - I hit the redline in mine before 50 miles on the clock - by accident of course ;):teeth:

Also keep an eye on oil temps. I was driving around Wales with not a lot more than delivery milage and the oil temp did have a habit of climbing a bit quicker than you'd expect. By the end of the run she was running sweet though.