Windows 8......

manphibian

Lion for me too.

8 will be like the rest, crash regularly and require frequent updates to correct all the things they never tested themselves. Let get the public to do that for us!!

windows 7 as never crashed on me yet ( had it installed since launch) , when did you last use a windows pc was it back in windows 2000 or earlier days :blush:

Lion for me too.

8 will be like the rest, crash regularly and require frequent updates to correct all the things they never tested themselves. Let get the public to do that for us!!

windows 7 as never crashed on me yet ( had it installed since launch) , when did you last use a windows pc was it back in windows 2000 or earlier days :blush:

Me either. It's been perfect.

They have to say it to feel slightly better about spending double on their equipment :lol:

Lion for me too.

Me either. It's been perfect.

They have to say it to feel slightly better about spending double on their equipment :lol:

I use a PC daily at work, but with XP and that runs better than my colleagues laptop with Windows 7 on.

But you can't grumble at paying £20 for Lion.

I wonder what Windows will cost?

I used Windows for the first time this morning, I usually use Linux but needed to flash my laptop's BIOS to install a new wireless card* and HP don't create tools to do that in Linux, well they do but you need a Windows PC to create the bootable USB key which defeats the purpose. I thought I'd install the drivers for the new card in Windows while I was there, the damn install crashed half way through and after a reboot I got the "registry missing or corrupt" message... and Vista** doesn't have a recovery console... thanks MS! I'll stick with Linux thanks.

Haydn.

*For those techies out there, I had to flash my BIOS with a hacked BIOS to remove the hardware whitelist that HP code in to their BIOS preventing you from doing any useful upgrades! God I hate that!

**I know Vista sucks, but it came with the laptop and I don't really use it so who cares.

I use Ubuntu at home and at work, I had it on a HP machine at work ended up causing me so many problems work eventually gave me a wad and said build your own machine! result!

I am not a fan of M$ but if you wanna play the latest PC games you cant ignore it and as much as it pains me to say it Win7 is not bad. Its the best thing since Win XP, Vista was however an insult. Thing that I seem to find with M$ OS's is that after a while they just get slower and slower, time will tell if Win7 is the same for me...

I feel your pain Haydn, I have in the past had to do a BIOS chip hot swap to re-flash a friends BIOS chip as he had screwed up a firmware update... was abit spicy to say the least :scare:

You can get a preview download of Windows 8 here ;)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_8_Dev ... d7172.html

This is a detailed preview of the next major release of Windows, code-named "Windows 8". From the chipset to the user experience, Windows 8 brings a new range of capabilities without compromise.

Windows 8 is designed to be the first Windows client to support systems on a chip (SoC) architectures, including ARM, and since it will be pre-installed on a range of next generation devices, it will also feature Metro, a NUI + GUI interface on the surface combined with a new application platform under-the-hood designed to enable the creation of immersive experiences.

The latest iteration of Microsoft's operating system brings an innovative new platform and tools to developers. Windows 8 apps can use a broad set of new libraries and controls, designed for fluid interaction and seamless connectivity. Apps can add new capabilities to Windows and to other apps, connecting with one another through the new interface.

Windows Developer Preview with developer tools contains:

· 64-bit Windows Developer Preview

· Windows SDK for Metro style apps

· Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview

· Microsoft Expression Blend 5 Developer Preview

· 28 Metro style apps including the BUILD Conference app

IMPORTANT NOTES:

· Upgrade from Windows 7 installation is not supported for pre-release code; only clean installs are supported.

· You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

· The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Own a macbook and windows machine, neither OS gives me grief, however apple get major plus points on the quality of their kit over shoddy PC builds.... but then..... you pay extra for that and apple only get to install their OS on a single type of machine!

8 looks good, whether it will be or not we'll decide, if they can build a tablet with full windows functionality, i.e. USB, Wireless, etc then it'll be a kick in apples but for sure!