Front Chin - RIP!

ScottyZ

Could not take the scraping any longer! The Black plastic front chin has been removed. The final straw was when having the exhaust done. Not a problem going on to the car lift, but when coming off managed to tear off from the pop rivets. Also found parking up to a kerb a bit of a problem. Saw a few pictures on the stateside 370Z forum of them removed and thought that looks alot better than my damaged and scraped chin! Will post some pics once the holes have been professionally repaired and painted. Anyone else had problems with their chin! :):)

Scotty

Mine is constantly getting a battering, it's only a matter of time for it to cause real damage, probably taking half the bumper along with it. Mine scrapes everything, my driveway going on & off (have to crawl on now), large speed bumps (again, I have to crawl), but also any dip in the road, and yesterday in a multistory carpark coming down the steep ramps onto the next flat level. Ridiculous really.

Would be interest to see a piccies of the holes left behind and also once filled in.

Is this with the STANDARD setup? :scare:

Yes. Its different to the 350z though. It has much larger rubber air deflectors on the lip of the bumper and also directly in front of the front wheels. I find its the one by the wheels that catches the most, but no more than my 350z used to catch things.

TBH compared to a "normal" car it catches more, but compared to other sports cars its no different really. You do have to crawl over everything but thats not the end of the world. And its better than catching the actual bumper :headhurt:

Be interested to see the high speed handling results of removing it Scotty :thumbs:

Is this with the STANDARD setup? :scare:

Yes. Its different to the 350z though. It has much larger rubber air deflectors on the lip of the bumper and also directly in front of the front wheels. I find its the one by the wheels that catches the most, but no more than my 350z used to catch things.

TBH compared to a "normal" car it catches more, but compared to other sports cars its no different really. You do have to crawl over everything but thats not the end of the world. And its better than catching the actual bumper :headhurt:

Be interested to see the high speed handling results of removing it Scotty :thumbs:

I believe the base model in the states doesn't come with the front chin aero deflector. I've left the wheel aero deflectors ON as they look ok and are far more flexible and as for any difference in handling (bearing in mind it's been off for a month now) I can't feel any at all but then again I doubt I push the car to limits where it's effect would be noticable. Hopefully I'll get some pics up next week. :D

Cheers,

Scotty

This was one of my gripes when I had a 370z for a few days earlier in the year. It scraped on everything. Even getting in and out my drive, and definately over every single speed ramp I came to, no matter how slow I went. It doesnt physically look any lower than the 350 so I figured it was the front bumper or spoiler. Was very anoying tho!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say I find that it is the rubber air deflectors in front of each wheel that are being 'hit' more often than not but fortunately they are of a relatively flexible material and easily bend back. Otherwise a quick fix with a file/emery removes the scrapes left behind on the chin spoiler.

For me, I would rather have the chin spoiler in place as a warning when parking close to kerbs etc or in my part of the world where we have any number of the tarmac humps that buses (and the ZED) can straddle but sometimes their height gives concern they could scrape/damage something under the car and a slow approach with the chin spoiler tells me when I need to adjust the approach with one front wheel going up and over. :shrug: