Hello, and oil change advice.

CarrotCakeIsYum

Hello all,

Relatively new to 350z ownership - I picked up a 57 plate about 9 months ago. Loving everything about it except it's ability to chomp through the super stuff.

It's due a service and from the schedule it looks like only an air filter and oil change with an inspection. Not keen on paying a fortune at dealers so was planning on doing it myself. Have a couple of questions...

When putting the car on axle stands can I place the stand just inside the lip on the jacking point? The scissor jack has a groove to fit the lip but I don't fancy putting the stands directly below the lip.

I was on e-bay looking for sump plug washers and found this, a magnetic sump plug; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japspeed-Nissan-Fairlday-Z-Z32-300ZX-Magnetic-Sump-Plug-/140599424490?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20bc60f5ea.

I'm sceptical whether it will make a blind bit of difference to engine wear. What do you think?

I think the point of the sump bung is to collect the engine wear. It should keep the oil cleaner for longer and collect the bits of metal in one place so it doesn’t lurk around the oil ways. TBH I haven’t seen one in action on a 350, but I have on other cars with a lot of build-up on the bung whern removed.

It wouldn’t hurt let’s put it that way ;)

Below is a link with the service sheet on it if that helps too :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=51586

Yes, axle stands inside the vertical strip/seam of metal. Use some wood to spread the weight onto the axle stand rather than just using the edge of the stand.

For oil changes only I tend to use a set of ramps to raise the front of the car. Get some scaffolding planks to make the ramp longer so that the approach angle is smaller. The z will then get on the ramp easily.

If using axle stands best to raise the car from the jack points just behind the engine and place on both axle stands in on go rather than lifting one side then the other. Much safer. Again, drive the car onto a couple of scaffolding planks to raise it just enough to get a trolley jack underneath.

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on those sump plugs. I thought the engine was aluminium anyway although the piston rings may not be (expect to be corrected).

Jim

Thanks for the advice!

I'll go for the ramps then, although for some reason I never feel quite as safe under them than axle stands - weird?

:lol: I'm the other way round prefer ramps - but they get in the way :rant:

Any way - Welcome :wave:

Some cars have those magnetic sump plugs in as standard, and its amazing the amount of metal filings and bits of stuff which I used to see on them.

With regards to oil change, personally I think its always better to drain the oil out via the sump plug. But, when I was doing a lot of miles and servicing cars every month I used to use an oil pump which is what most garages would use in order to save time. Its a tube which you stick in the dipstick hole, connected to a pump. It literally sucks all the oil out through the tip stick hole. It saves jacking cars up and messing about underneath them.