370z: Locking car with no alarm

Chris`I

Off to France at the end of the week on a ferry and was just wondering if anyone knew how to lock the car without the alarm.

I am thinking you can usually use the key, but as the key is more for emergencies in the 370z I'm not sure if it will work that way. Can anyone confirm?

If not I'll be out in the garage tonight trying to set the alarm off :lol:

Hi Chris

I have had a word with the Workshop foreman here, still a bit inconclusive, but I have some info.

Firstly we haven’t had any issues with customers complaining about crossings on ferry with the alarms going off :thumbs:

However there is a couple of things you could try.

The key in the driver’s door, rather than the plip, but we could figure about how you would test this theory

You can disable the sensors in the car, there is a procedure in the handbook that covers this. In fairness we think it’s more for dogs as the sensors wouldn’t cover vibration which presumably is the problem with a ferry crossing.

Lastly and the most lateral of the thoughts, would be to remove the shunt fuse a-la how the car comes on a transporter from the factory, BUT, again don’t know how to test the idea and it will upset any settings you have done and you may lose the radio code!

Sorry there is nothing definite

Good luck

T

Firstly we haven’t had any issues with customers complaining about crossings on ferry with the alarms going off :thumbs:

T

I can confirm that 370 alarms can be set-off by a ferry ;)

Strangely though, I never seen a 350z alarm going off, including my own car.

Hi Chris - I regularly (most weeks) take my 370 across to the Isle of Wight from Southampton. Previously in my Focus RS & before that my 350z. The bad news is that of the three the 370 is the only one that I have found with hazard lights flashing and once the alarm still wailing when I return to the car to disembark. This has happened several times leading me to believe it is more sensitive than the 350. don't worry though because it will be drowned out in a symphony of Merc's & BMW's which appear to have be fitted with extremely sensitive sensors :lol:

Have a good trip

Rob

Weirdly I am sure that Mercedes have a big switch in the cockpit which is for Towing which disables the alarm.

I dunno cars these days are too patronising :blackeye:

370z has one too - not going to say where it is in case any robbers are reading this, but its quite obvious to owners. That does the tilt sensor which I assume is the one I need for the ferry. The other option as you say is to try key in the door too.

370z is way more sensative than the 350z. My pressure washer on the roof of the 370z sets off the alarm, as does very heavy rain or hail :lol:

What a coincidence! Colins alarm was going off on the Skye ferry today, but non of the the 350's were.

:blush: I should have read page 3-15 of the owner's handbook first

There is a switch provided behind the passenger seat to turn the ultrasonic and tilt sensors off. :doh:

Maybe it would be judicious to put this useful information somewhere on the forum, that you can only see if you're at least logged in. ;)

I thought about that, but it only works when arming the alarm, so I dont think it will aid any wannabe theives :thumbs:

Just to clarify, to disable it, make sure the car is ready to be locked as normal, press the button behind the passenger seat, the alarm/immobiliser symbol (red car with key) on the dash will flash quickly, get out and lock as normal (key or handle button). The car will lock as normal and emmit one beep to indicate it worked :thumbs:

• 4 months later...

Guys I have a 370Z and the Alarm is too sensitive. It goes off about once a week, sometimes in the night - I now take the key to bed with me (sad I know).

If I run my trolley jack near it (15ft) it sets it off.

Asked the Dealer to investigate and they want authorisation to charge me £48 if it's not faulty!!!!!

Has anyone got this fixed under warranty?

Rob

Guys I have a 370Z and the Alarm is too sensitive. It goes off about once a week, sometimes in the night - I now take the key to bed with me (sad I know).

If I run my trolley jack near it (15ft) it sets it off.

Asked the Dealer to investigate and they want authorisation to charge me £48 if it's not faulty!!!!!

Rob

I've asked the service manager at Motorline Nissan Tunbridge Wells if it is a know issue with the 370's. The answer is no but hey have had a couple on the GTR's which were resolved by changing the tilt sensors.

Not sure where you are but I'm sure Ian Fraser at Motorline would help confirm and resolve the issue if you can get there. Mention the forum and my name - hopefully a free check might be be on offer ;)

Rob

Is the car out of warranty Rob? If not I dont know why the hell they should be asking you for money whether the bit is faulty of not. If the car doesnt "work" right then they should investigate it and report back for free :bang:

I'd be passing that onto NMGB is dealers are trying to charge for work under warranty :boxing:

Also if you suspect it is the tilt sensor then try disabling it with the button behind the passenger seat. Press it and the immobiliser light on the dash will flash quickly. Lock the car as normal and it will beep differently to normal. The alarm should then be alarmed but without the tilt sensor. :thumbs:

Sorry Chris, yes it's still in warranty (until Oct).

Realised now that the Leicester Dealer is no longer a Nissan Dealer (Sturgess) so that might be the reason for asking for payment if it's not a warranty issue.

Anyway the other two dealers I emailed have both agreed to look at it, trouble is they are more expensive.

More expensive as it getting to them is more expensive? IMO any Nissan dealer should be looking at the issue compeltely for free, whether the car is actually faulty of not :wacko: Its my understanding that they just charge the work back to NMGB anyway for the investigation so sounds like they are trying to take you for more money.

Maybe Toby (EH 370z) can give some advice as he works for a dealer?