Jenson Button Driving Through Manchester PIC HEAVY

introspect

Went into Manchester today to see Jensen Button hooning up and down Deansgate, firstly in the new Mclaren MPC 12C... and then in his Mclaren F1 car :teeth:

All I can say about the noise of that thing is WOW... just WOW!! You really don't appreciate the sound of those things on the TV. Anyway, here's a few pics and some short video clips from the day.

DSCF9027.jpg

DSCF9028.jpg

DSCF9030.jpg

DSCF9032.jpg

DSCF9033.jpg

DSCF9038.jpg

DSCF9041.jpg

DSCF9042.jpg

DSCF9043.jpg

DSCF9046.jpg

DSCF9047.jpg

DSCF9048.jpg

DSCF9049.jpg

DSCF9050.jpg

DSCF9051.jpg

DSCF9055.jpg

DSCF9056.jpg

DSCF9057.jpg

DSCF9058.jpg

DSCF9059.jpg

DSCF9061.jpg

DSCF9062.jpg

DSCF9070.jpg

DSCF9071.jpg

DSCF9073.jpg

DSCF9076.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhMsy1Ttbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Wl7xKijI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfdOLrE2Co

I was there too and it was unbelievable, I'm sure I heard the guy on the pa say he was doing 170! Great viewing and a real treat for the few thousand people who came out to witness it. :#1:

Was it a ticket only event or a freebee?

Great pics buddy... :thumbs:

Nice pics B) but i am 95% sure thats the 2008 championship winning Mclaren F1 car that he would never have raced ;)

Correct - he was driving the MP4-23 from 2008. :thumbs:

I spent the day there today - i had a great time :D (Thanks Mike for making me aware of this!)

I was stood waiting at the trackside on deansgate for 2.5 hours before there was any action but it was worth the wait... :thumbs: The MP4-12C looked good (although quiet), but the F1 car was incredible! As mentioned, the noise is just unreal.. it just screams it's so high pitched! Absolutely brilliant. The smell - just brilliant :D

I was also impressed by the crowd... the announcer reckoned there were 20k people there today and i can believe it - and the reception Jenson got was excellent... i didnt think people would think Jensen was that much of a star, but he was getting huge support. It was a good atmosphere.

Lastly, i made it into the Vodafone VIP zone (anyone could go in there), and i had a go on the Pit-Stop challange. Me and 2 strangers had to change a wheel... you had a few practices and then they timed you. I was with 2 strangers (a chinese guy and a spaniard who looked like Alonso) and i had the best job of operating the wheel gun. B) Until we went on the fastest time of the day had been 2.63 seconds, and then they timed us and we got 2.18!! The announcer who was commentating on Jenson all day said we were the fastest time of the weekend so far, so if no one beat our time i think we'll be winning some merchandise... so will be watching the phone this week... :blush:

Here's a compilation of clips i took (really good at 2:25) and some pics. Video quality seems shite though, but youtube is still processing it so it may improve.

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

IMG_7264.jpg

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7261.jpg

IMG_7250.jpg

100_0093.jpg

I was there too and it was unbelievable, I'm sure I heard the guy on the pa say he was doing 170! Great viewing and a real treat for the few thousand people who came out to witness it. :#1:

Was it a ticket only event or a freebee?

Freebie :thumbs:

Great pics buddy... :thumbs:

Nice pics B) but i am 95% sure thats the 2008 championship winning Mclaren F1 car that he would never have raced ;)

Correct - he was driving the MP4-23 from 2008. :thumbs:

I spent the day there today - i had a great time :D (Thanks Mike for making me aware of this!)

I was stood waiting at the trackside on deansgate for 2.5 hours before there was any action but it was worth the wait... :thumbs: The MP4-12C looked good (although quiet), but the F1 car was incredible! As mentioned, the noise is just unreal.. it just screams it's so high pitched! Absolutely brilliant. The smell - just brilliant :D

I was also impressed by the crowd... the announcer reckoned there were 20k people there today and i can believe it - and the reception Jenson got was excellent... i didnt think people would think Jensen was that much of a star, but he was getting huge support. It was a good atmosphere.

Lastly, i made it into the Vodafone VIP zone (anyone could go in there), and i had a go on the Pit-Stop challange. Me and 2 strangers had to change a wheel... you had a few practices and then they timed you. I was with 2 strangers (a chinese guy and a spaniard who looked like Alonso) and i had the best job of operating the wheel gun. B) Until we went on the fastest time of the day had been 2.63 seconds, and then they timed us and we got 2.18!! The announcer who was commentating on Jenson all day said we were the fastest time of the weekend so far, so if no one beat our time i think we'll be winning some merchandise... so will be watching the phone this week... :blush:

Yeah I waited around for about the same amount of time as you did to make sure I got a good view! Wow your time for the pit stop challenge is really impressive! You'll have to let me know what goodies you get for that. Was a really great day out and I still can't quite believe such a great event was totally free :#1:

I was quite jealous of the two competition winners who got a passenger ride in the MP4-12C with Jenson. That's quite a prize. Agree though, it's a bit too quiet for a super car really.

That's not a bad prize!

They should have had their proper pit-stop crew do it for comparison. I imagine it's a bit harder during a race when there's the risk of messing up and costing places though!

I reckon i'd have put them out of a job with my 2.18 seconds time...!

Woohoo!

Vodafone just called me and i've won a baseball cap signed by Jenson Button for getting the fastest pit-stop time of the weekend (2.18 seconds).

Pleased with that, but to be honest i was hoping for a job offer :blush:

Very well done - excellent prize too :#1::thumbs:

I was there as well. Have heard most (roadcar) engines from a V12 Ferrari, V10 Lamborghini, V8 Aston & a flat 6 Porsche (& ofcourse a V6 Nissan !!), but the noise from the F1 car was on an entirely different level. The word "loud" doesnt in anyway do justice to the sheer mechanical howl of that car. Almost bordered on the painful.

Couldnt believe though that 'Elf & Safety allowed the event in the first instance. 700bhp racing car at 70mph or thereabouts, travelling in the wet, with cold tyres on a crumbling road & no more than 10 feet from the crowd. Whilst it made for a spectacle I wont quickly forget, I dont think the slight plastic safety barriers would have done much to seperate carbonfibre from crowd should Mr Button have been over confident with his right foot.

Still, what a day.