ARRRRGH! which shed?

kevlo

Hi guys and girls, i guess you're going to get bored of me going on about sheds but i have changed my mind about ten times.

I have now decided to go diesel so im looking for recommendations for a sub £1000 diesel shed. its literally for my mrs to get to work and back but ideally she would like something that isnt too nasty looking which rules out skoda's etc (nothing against new skodas but my price bracket has some dogs in it :) )

im looking at pug 206 1.9/2.0 diesel and nissan almera 2.2 diesel. really open minded tho so any suggestions welcome.

The most important thing is cheap motoring i.e insurance/mpg/ and reliability.

hope you can help i guess the reliability is the area i am most unfamiliar with as i know naff all about cars.

Does it have to be strictly diesel? I don't know about the distances it will be doing but commuting to work shouldn't see hypergalactic mileage. Given the age of a car at £1k I would wonder about how much maintenance the diesel engine would require in comparison to petrol.

How about a Ford Puma or Cougar? Both are better looking than their counterparts (Mondeo and Fiesta respectively), and dirt cheap to buy. Alfa 147s and 156s are beautiful and there are plenty in this territory, you need to check out their service history fairly well but the historic reliability issues are always overplayed and no one I know that runs them has had any significant issues.

The Fords would be the best in reliability stakes, with the Puma the cheapest to run.

to be honest, if your looking for something under £1K then it should not matter what it is, as long as its got a decent amount of MOT left, has a service history and is fairly tidy for its age then go for it :thumbs:

I am going to be in the same boat when my Zed goes, looking to buy something cheap.... if it dies then I will buy another, then when I have booked my flight to canada I will drive it to the nearest scrapyard :lol:

I insurance isn't to much of an issue - The bigger the better thats were the bargains are.

The lads are right if its a grand, I would get too hung up on the petrol diesel thing, just get something that does a reasonable MPG and wont cost you too much in repairs. My mate did something similar - bought a old(ish) Honda Accord, brilliant got three years out of it and binned it B)

I was gonna say bigger myself- everyone goes for a small hatchback when they look for a shed but bigger cars will be nicer to sit in, better to drive etc etc. How about an Audi a4 mk1? Plenty for under a grand

will the bigger cars not be worse on fuel.

what about a fiesta or focus 1.8 diesel any good for reliability?

i know what you mean about french for reliability. i have it preprogrammed into me to never buy a french car but ive had a few people say there ok and there are loads for under a grand.

i know what your saying about reliability when your paying under a grand. i suppose what im asking for is peoples experiences and general knowledge about the engines in these cars for example i could buy an alfa romeo or proton etc for the same money as an older vw. i would say that although both under a grand i have a better chance of trouble free motoring with the vw than some korean tat.

Just remeber that most people are selling at the price for a reason, so MOT etc is very important :)

Saw this and thought thats a lump of car for the money!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Or something like this, read the description, it’s the old duffers cars you want at this level, as the seniors have no concept of time and usually have the money to spend on their cars :thumbs:

Sorry I am a bit sad with stuff like this I caould do it for hours :lol:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

I used to have a Focus Diesel, very reliable car. Can't remeber what MPG i got out of it but it was very resonable. Not too sure what sort of one you could get for under 1K probably be very high milage, but so long as they have been serviced and look after they will run and run. I got rid of mine with about 110k on the clock and apart from the usual wear and tear items it served me very well.