Running costs compared to 200SX ?

Dcee

Considering parting with my S14A 200SX that I've owned for the last 10 years, and buying a 350z.

The SX has been amazingly reliable and practical for me and still gets people asking 'what is it'? I'm just a bit unsure about the running costs for a 350z.

The SX isn't particularly good on fuel (mid 20's) as a lot of my mileage is short journeys in town with the odd longer journey on a weekend day out. Only cover around 6000 miles a year. If I buy a 350z it will be a pre 2006 with the lower tax band so that won't be a deciding factor.

Just like to get a comparison between the 2 cars regarding fuel ( I am mid 50's and don't use the loud pedal that often!!), and servicing / parts - which aren't too bad for the SX.

At the moment I'm having trouble dismissing the urge to buy an Alfa 159, :blush: but still have doubts over reliability. I know the Nissan will be reliable, its just the other doubts that I have !

Any advice gratefully received :)

Previous Jap toy to my Z33 was an S15 Spec R (obviously not an S14, but near). So your petrol usage, will be a bit higher, being a heavier car. Basing on stock items, tyres are wider, so will be bit more expensive to replace. Not being a turbo, doesn't need to be serviced as often for general road driving. Parts, apply Nissan pricing, although we have some really good traders on here, that you can purchase most things you may need from.

This topic has been well discussed on here, well running costs in general, so have a nose around the forum, lots of helpful info. :thumbs:

I came from an S14a and in the same usage I'm getting about 5 mpg less.

The Z has less faults and rust isn't an issue but when bills hit they're generally higher (Tyres £600+, Brakes £500+, Clutch/Flywheel £800+, Exhaust £500+).

Depreciation is high, although no worse than your average family hatchback (~£2k per year). I had my SX 4 years and only lost £1,500 on it! Prices should stabilise in a couple of years because a clean UK 350Z will always be worth £5k+

Depends how you weight it up;

350z

- £350 servicing (higher end of the prices I've heard - you can do it much cheaper).

- Group 19 insurance

- low 20's fuel consumption round town - mid 20's on mixed driving - 30's on motorway (if plodding)

- Big hairy arse V6 that is massivly versitile

- Lovely sound from both engine and zorst (compared with many other cars I've heard including some very 'premium' brands).

- Parts are silly from dealers (although we have an insider who's offering discount genunine parts). Cheaper bits off trader.

Alfa

- The nagging concern that it won't actually make it to your choosen destination every time you turn the key.

I guess its one of them.......it WILL hit you in the wallet however your already 90% prepared for that after running the 200........can you stand another 10%? If not then I'd go polar opposite and get a cheap oil burner and save a ruck of money rather than getting another 'sports car' thats a few quid cheaper to run but a lot less fun to own. :thumbs:

I had a S14A for almost 5 years before getting my Z.

I've had the Z for just over a year now, and on exactly the same driving/journey to work over 9 months (ignoring the first 3 months of 'exuberant' driving) I'm getting about 15% less in terms of MPG. On the SX I would get on average 350 miles per tank. I get the same on the Z but the Z has a 70 litre tank vs the 60 litre tank on the SX.

Long motorway journeys I get 450 (And I suspect even better if I concentrated on it) miles out of a tank, same as on the SX.

MPG was averaging 23. I've since changed where I work (about a month ago) which involves about 30 more miles each way on a motorway. I reset my MPG when I started the new commute. My mpg now sits around 26.

Servicing/Tyres etc are more on the Z, but in my opinion are worth it.

My insurance is actually cheaper on the Z than it was on the SX. Not entirely sure why.....it was a pleasant surprise :)

Mine is a 57 plate 313, so being raped on tax :(

Hope this helps your decision making!

Having just recently switched, I can offer some advice on this:

Fuel - Not much difference if I'm honest - my Stage 1 S14a did 26-38 mpg (38 was a crazy motorway run, typically got 27-29 mpg or around 350-380 miles out of a tank). The Zed is currently doing 27 mpg. I'd say the Zed does roughly 1-3 mpg less. The tank is 15 litres bigger though so fill ups are big money!

Parts - the 200 is cheaper in this regards, there is a bit of a Zed tax compared to S14 items, but they have been around longer. Some things that would be around £30-40 quid on teh S14 are coming out closer to £100. Exhausts are much more expensive, but that could be due to the need for twice as many pipes! The S14 is also easier to work on so cheaper labour costs. Things like clutches and other similar fittings will be much easier on the S14.

Servicing - I always serviced the S14a myself with Silkolene Pro-s oil, but will probably get the Zed serviced at a garage. That means it's gonna be more expensive for me. The Zed uses more oil per service and has 2 more spark plugs as well.

My S14a was incredibly reliable but did require a bit of welding last year. The Zed is much more robust underneath. The Zed seems more fragile with things like ARB bushes and Banana Bushes though.

The Zed feels a fair bit slower than the Stage 1 S14, and is probably a second slower to 60 and 2 seconds slower to 100. Also, the mid range punch is missing. Saying that, the Zed handles better and is more liner. That means you have to be in the correct gear more often.

I miss the 200 a lot if I'm fair, but I do enjoy the Zed too. It's a bit more grown up, but I miss the easy tuning style of the S14.

The Zed feels a fair bit slower than the Stage 1 S14, and is probably a second slower to 60 and 2 seconds slower to 100. Also, the mid range punch is missing. Saying that, the Zed handles better and is more liner. That means you have to be in the correct gear more often.

Recent "comparisons" at Donington showed that a plenumed, decatted Zed is actually roughly par with a Stage 2 S14 as far as acceleration goes ....... possibly better going up hills ;)

Recent "comparisons" at Donington showed that a plenumed, decatted Zed is actually roughly par with a Stage 2 S14 as far as acceleration goes ....... possibly better going up hills ;)

Keyword there is FEELS ;) Even when s/c my Z felt slow compared to previous car. N/A cars will always feel slow compared to a turbo car, thats not to say they are slower though ;)

DO IT! like you said with alfa its always going to be in the back of your mind with the reliablity. I picked up my second 350z today (only got rid of the last 1 cos someone ran in the back of me, and wrote it off) like alot of people said you can find parts alot cheaper on than the main dealer (on here or Ebay) and i had an engine service from nissan last year for £89 (dont see the point in a full service i can do most of the checks myself) just got to see if there doin any deals.

Wow ! Many thanks for the quick replies. I need to go and have a drive methinks. I would much prefer an auto as that is what the current car is and I love the relaxation an auto gives. Not sure whether I want to buy an import though.

Space may also be a problem for me but I won't know until I've seen one up close. The SX is really versatile - could fit in a 3 metre drainage pipe lol. The other half will moan and moan at holiday time if she has to put all her clobber in a holdall instead of a suitcase :wacko:

cheers :thumbs:

And heres me mulling over getting a 159 Ti 2.4 JTD to replace the Zed as a baby wagon! Good looker though..

Zed over 200SX in my opinion.

Well, thing is, I've only got as far as trying a 159 for size in a showroom. But, you know that feeling when you occasionally sit in a car and it just seems to fit like a glove? Well that's what I got from the 159. That one was a Ti with the big wheels - and in red, and it looked awesome :)

Wow ! Many thanks for the quick replies. I need to go and have a drive methinks. I would much prefer an auto as that is what the current car is and I love the relaxation an auto gives. Not sure whether I want to buy an import though.

Space may also be a problem for me but I won't know until I've seen one up close. The SX is really versatile - could fit in a 3 metre drainage pipe lol. The other half will moan and moan at holiday time if she has to put all her clobber in a holdall instead of a suitcase :wacko:

350's aren't actually too bad for space. Easily fit big bags of gear for both of us, helmets, boots, race suits etc all behind the strut bar. Can always put stuff forward of the strut, personally I wouldn't unless I could secure it in place. Conversely if you're appealing to the wifey/partner, you can fit lots of boxes of shoes in the back too. :lol::thumbs:

Servicing - I always serviced the S14a myself with Silkolene Pro-s oil, but will probably get the Zed serviced at a garage.

The Zed seems more fragile with things like ARB bushes and Banana Bushes though.

Wouldn't bother going to a dealer now, unless your car is still under warranty. P1/P2/P3 dealer services are £200-400 for an oil and air filter change! Brake fluid, coolant, spark plugs aren't even included.

The front suspension is much more complex than the SX and has a lot of weight on it so front dampers and bushes are starting to go.

Keyword there is FEELS ;) Even when s/c my Z felt slow compared to previous car. N/A cars will always feel slow compared to a turbo car, thats not to say they are slower though ;)

It is slower though, the stopwatch doesn't lie! The S14 could do 5.0 second 0-60's and 12 second 0-100's. the Zed does 5.9 0-60 and about 14 second 0-100's. It's gonna need more than the typical NA mods to accelerate as fast as that.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 791269938#

I've been in slower stage 2's compared to my stage 1 and I've been in very rapid stage 2's. If we are looking at 300bhp and similar torque for stage 2, in a car that weighs 250kg less then the laws of physics can't be bent that much!

200SX's dont do 0-100 in 12 seconds, or they would all be doing sub 12 second quarters, wouldnt they?? :shrug:

Ive only owned 3 S12's, 4 S13's and an S14 from standard to 400hp and did 2 track sessions with the SXOC at Japfest in my Z33 ....... you can keep your stopwatch, the Zed was catching stage 2 200's on the straights, particularly between Mcleans and Coppice. Promise. ;)

I think torque/power delivery and an extra gear ratio have something to do with it myself. Either that or Ive got a debadged 380RS :p

OR they would going faster than 100 at the quarter mile point? :drive1

I know what you've had, I've been over on sxoc myself for 7 years! Point is MY standard Zed is slower than my stage 1 S14a. When I've done the typical mods and uprev'd I'll speak again. However, I don't think the circa 300hp Zed would be THAT much faster. That would make a power to weight ratio of around 197bhp/ton, whereas a stage 1 S14a has a power to weight ratio of around 220 bhp per ton.

I know there is the 'area under the graph' and off boost, the zed would murder the 200, but on boost, the S14a is definitely more thrusty.

This is a pretty good site and seems accurate.

http://www.torquestats.com/modified/ind ... calculator

Looks like you'd need around 325 bhp to be equivalent in sprints compared to the stage 1 S14a.