Camera Experts.......

manphibian

All non-SLR cameras are comprimised by their speed.

The Sony gets a nice dpreview.com review but if you ever want to shoot fast things (cars/kids/animals) or in low light, you'll wish you bought the Nikon.

The Sony does 7 frames per second....

But will those 7 frames track a dog or child running towards you in a diagonal ziz-zag in low light using 39 focus points in a 3-D matrix up to ISO 25,600 and keep all 7 frames in focus?

If it does then I'm selling my D7000 and buying one. :thumbs:

Not crticising your choice as it looks great but if you want SLR functions and speed, you'll need an SLR. Sony wouldn't produce an SLR-killer when they've spent millions (billions?) acquiring Minolta and producing some fantastic SLRs over the last few years.

How much did you pay for your D7000? If you want SLR performance, you have to pay for it. With a budget of £450, the Sony is a cracking camera.

There's no point comparing these cameras because at the end of the day, it depends on what you want from a camera, how much you want to spend on one and how serious you are. I could have said "well the Sony is a good one but it's rubbish compared to my 7D". What's the point of me saying that because my 7D cost 3 times the Sony.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point Chris. I guess my D7000 was £800 ish after I sold the kit lens on e-bay.

I would still rather buy a second-hand Nikon D90 for £450 than comprimise speed/accuracy. I think the OP may well end up with an SLR if he starts shooting moving subjects.

Good point Chris. I guess my D7000 was £800 ish after I sold the kit lens on e-bay.

I would still rather buy a second-hand Nikon D90 for £450 than comprimise speed/accuracy. I think the OP may well end up with an SLR if he starts shooting moving subjects.

The only thing i would disagree with you here is the second hand D90. I would go for a second hand 40D or 50D......but I would say that as I'm a canon man :lol: it's the old Canon/Nikon divide! :lol:

Spot on though. :thumbs:

I know what you're saying, but this camera is perfect for me.

I'm not a serious photographer, I just wanted a bit more capability than my bridge camera, and to learn a bit more about it all.

This Sony has some fantastic features, and makes everything accessible and easy. 1080P video and things like the sweep panorama function are big pluses for me.

and little things like with every shot, there's a slider for 'background blur' where you simply turn the dial to adjust the depth of field, without having to delve into a load of settings, and it just works :)

Plus it's nothing like a compact camera,where you press the button, and you get a picture 2 seconds later, it really is very quick :)

Another great setting is Sony's low light handheld mode, where it takes 6 pictures and combines them to eliminate blurring in low light :)

Love it!

Unfortunately my SD card hasn't arrived yet, so i can only store one picture at a time :lol:

Hmmmm, was going to buy a canon 550D but I think I would benefit from a bridge camera first to be honest.

The NEX-5 looks good. I just checked prices online and it's about £450. I checked my work 'voucher' account (little rewards for doing stuff at work) and it has £450 in it.... Coincidence????? :lol::lol:

Oh, those in the know - which is the one to go for, there seems to be options.... I can easily add to the purchase price to get a package/model that suits.

Check the retailer makes you eligible for the £50 cashback offer from Sony that's on till the end of August :)

For example, i got mine from Amazon for £450, but you had to buy from them direct, not one of the other sellers on Amazon marketplace :)

And Stew, it's much more than a bridge camera :) It has all the features of a DSLR, just smaller :)

Hmmmm, was going to buy a canon 550D but I think I would benefit from a bridge camera first to be honest.

The NEX-5 looks good. I just checked prices online and it's about £450. I checked my work 'voucher' account (little rewards for doing stuff at work) and it has £450 in it.... Coincidence????? :lol::lol:

Oh, those in the know - which is the one to go for, there seems to be options.... I can easily add to the purchase price to get a package/model that suits.

I've just bought a bridge camera and it's pretty good but hard to get used to. Not a patch on a Dslr though. I wanted to get used to messing around with shutter speeds and focal lengths etc before buying a very expensive camera so I don blow a wad on it and then find out I can't use it.

I've just bought a bridge camera and it's pretty good but hard to get used to. Not a patch on a Dslr though. I wanted to get used to messing around with shutter speeds and focal lengths etc before buying a very expensive camera so I don blow a wad on it and then find out I can't use it.

This is my reason for going for it over a full DSLR to be honest.

My vouchers won't be in until September so will miss out on £50 cash back (damn..... just aswell it's 'free' money I'll be buying it with) but Amazon are one shop I can get vouchers for (recently added) along with the oldies Comet, Dixons/currys/PC World, John Lewis and Argos. Those are the ones that might sell cameras.

Is it worth going for an option with a lens kit from the off?

I've just gone for the 18-55mm lens. it's a good multi-purpose lens, and is supposed to be a very good one :)

The only other specific lenses you can get are a 16mm wide angle, and an 18-200mm lens, but that costs £650 for just the lens! :scare:

there are adaptors on ebay to use just about any existing lens you can find though B)

But the 18-55 will do me fine (probably for ever) :lol:

I wanted to get used to messing around with shutter speeds and focal lengths etc before buying a very expensive camera so I don blow a wad on it and then find out I can't use it.

This was my reason for going DSLR. Worst comes to the worst I've got a very expensive but very capable point and shoot camera, best case I've saved myself £400. If you like photography (or even just want to get into it, this was why I started down the route) and can afford it, then even the entry level Canon/Nikon/Sony is the place to start IMHO.

Bodies are the cheap bit of any camera, it's the lenses that start to cost a bit!

What digital camera magazine verdict that I think sums it up perfectly.

Although compact-like in appearance, don't let the exterior fool you - the Sony NEX-5 produces class-leading images that outshine some stiff competition in the Micro System Cameras sector. Many will love its pick-up-and-shoot ease of use, though it's not without its errors - the lack of buttons for control and amount of menu digging required to adjust options may frustrate more advanced users. Otherwise the AF system is relatively fast and accurate and the variety of creative modes are all very accessible. However, for those looking for a more DSLR-like model with an electronic viewfinder and multitude of function buttons then the NEX may not suit; for those looking for the smallest camera of its type with HD movie capture capability and superb image quality then this is where the NEX-5 really hits the nail on the head.

:thumbs:

I've been tempted by the NEX-5 as an addition to my 450D, mainly because its so small...but a lack of lens has put me off, and I have to say I do love having a true optical view finder. When you really start getting into photography you quickly realise the quality of the lens really impacts on image quality.

Most DLSR bodies made in the last 5 years are pretty similar and all seem to get good reviews, main difference been if you buy a Canon body your locked into Canon lens, Nikon body and your have to buy Nikon lens etc...

My new faviourte toy is my wideangle lens, lets you take some very bizarre looking pictuers :)

20110418honeymoon0441.jpg

Currently saving up for this 41YoVgjWTRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg..17-55mm with a constant F stop of 2.8, and its IS...a bargain at £790 :lol:

Here are my first two shots with the Nex-5...

Not the most exciting photos ever, but hey.. gotta start somewhere :p

DSC00001Medium.jpg

DSC00002Medium.jpg

Knowing you and your pictures Manphibian, there must be a a face in both these picturs somehwere :p

Great thread this as ive just received a nice little tax rebate that will now pay for my camera, though still undecided what camera to go for. Lots of reading up before I buy me thinks!

• 4 weeks later...

Update from me.....

My vouchers have arrived and I scratched off all the codes and entered them..... :yawn::yawn: Now just need to wait for Sony to release the NEX-5N as it's currently in my list in Amazon with the 16 and the 18-55 lenses. I saw they were releasing an updated version of the 5 in the next week or two so thought I'd wait for it.

Update from me.....

My vouchers have arrived and I scratched off all the codes and entered them..... :yawn::yawn: Now just need to wait for Sony to release the NEX-5N as it's currently in my list in Amazon with the 16 and the 18-55 lenses. I saw they were releasing an updated version of the 5 in the next week or two so thought I'd wait for it.

Good choice :) It has touchscreen :thumbs:

Still happy with mine though, if you keep waiting for the new version of something, you never buy anything :D

I got myself a Canon 1100D, seemed like a nice beginner DSLR and Jessops were selling it with a 18-55mm EF-S lens for £399.

Also bought a bundle thing of them that was going to cost me another £60.

Sales guy commented that the bundle included a bag, UV filter and 4GB SD Card (SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s Class10), but also said that the bag may be to big so I could pick out a smaller one and they'd refund the difference.

Picked bag, ran everything thru the till, first the camera then the bundle, then refund of the bigger bag at £49.

Signed the receipt for the refund, sales guy countersigned, and I was outta there.

He only forgot to re-add the value of the bag I picked, lol

£60 bundle for £10? Why thank you very much :D

Update from me.....

Still happy with mine though, if you keep waiting for the new version of something, you never buy anything :D

Absolutely. If it wasn't due for release until next year I'd buy the 5 but as it's meant to be out this month I'll hang off for the N. The improvements are small but should make a difference!

Mark, I was always going to buy a 550D however the size and learning curve put me off. The DSLR I'm sure would be ultimately better however the NEX range looks perfect for what I want pocket size, good quality images and plenty to play with. It's a good crossover and some of the shooting modes on the camera will do away with PP. :) Hopefully perfect for me!

Update from me.....

Absolutely. If it wasn't due for release until next year I'd buy the 5 but as it's meant to be out this month I'll hang off for the N. The improvements are small but should make a difference!

Mark, I was always going to buy a 550D however the size and learning curve put me off. The DSLR I'm sure would be ultimately better however the NEX range looks perfect for what I want pocket size, good quality images and plenty to play with. It's a good crossover and some of the shooting modes on the camera will do away with PP. :) Hopefully perfect for me!

Pocket size? You may struggle to get the N into your pockets with the lens on Stew :wacko::lol: I know what you're saying tho, it's a lot smaller than an SLR.