My Z's service history - has it been done wrong?

zacieclay69

Hi,

My service history is as follows:

Type: P1 - Mileage: 6795 - Date: 26/04/05

Type: P2 - Mileage: 11182 - Date: 05/09/06

Type: P1 - Mileage: 17199 - Date: 05/02/08

Type: P3 - Mileage: 21838 - Date: 16/04/09

Type P1 - Mileage: 26141 - Date: 05/06/10

Is that normal service history?

It's now due another service being that it 08/11 and done 38k. Does it need P2 or P3? :wacko:

Thanks

The usual service period is 9000 miles or 12 months, whatever is sooner.

So it looks like the owner skipped 2007 because of the low mileage which is a bit naughty. If I was you I'd go with a P2. A P3 isnt that much more than a P2. As far as I can see the only difference is changing the rear diff oil, which in your case shouldn't matter too much as it was done only 19k miles ago.

Check your maintenance book/past receipts for any additional service items too:

Fuel filter every 36k

Antifreeze every 36k

Spark plugs every 54k or 5 years

Those aren't included in any of the services (P1,P2,P3) however the garage should advise you need these doing when you book the car in. Some don't however.

TSo it looks like the owner skipped 2007 because of the low mileage which is a bit naughty. If I was you I'd go with a P2. A P3 isnt that much more than a P2. As far as I can see the only difference is changing the rear diff oil, which in your case shouldn't matter too much as it was done only 19k miles ago.

Also pretty sure a P3 does not include the diff oil change. Lincolnbaggie had a thread up somewhere about how the P2 and P3 are for all intents and purposes identical.

Diff and gearbox oil change is and extra piece of work I think (and not a cheap one at that - circa £100 for both).

TSo it looks like the owner skipped 2007 because of the low mileage which is a bit naughty. If I was you I'd go with a P2. A P3 isnt that much more than a P2. As far as I can see the only difference is changing the rear diff oil, which in your case shouldn't matter too much as it was done only 19k miles ago.

Also pretty sure a P3 does not include the diff oil change. Lincolnbaggie had a thread up somewhere about how the P2 and P3 are for all intents and purposes identical.

Diff and gearbox oil change is and extra piece of work I think (and not a cheap one at that - circa £100 for both).

Diff oil and gearbox oil don't necessarily need changing - some do for piece of mind, but it's not actually needed on the 350. Fuel filter ditto.

And, yes, the P2 and P3 are identical. OP, Yours needs a P2 this time and possibly coolant and brake fluid depending on when these were last done (brake fluid should be every two years and coolant every three years regardless of mileage). Also, technically your plugs should be changed after 5 years, but most do them around 45000 miles.

Westway Nissan are wrong - second P3 should be at 8 years (72,000 miles) and is pointless anyway as its the same as a P2.

Fairly expensive I'd say but then you are going to the stealers.

I just paid around £450 for P3, sparks, brake fluid, diff oil, gear box oil. P2/P3's don't include sparks, brake fluid, gear/diff oil.

If you know a good independent then take it there and save a couple of hundred quid.......if your feeling flush and want a Nissan stamp (For what its worth) then take it to the stealers.

Diff oil and gearbox oil don't necessarily need changing - some do for piece of mind, but it's not actually needed on the 350. Fuel filter ditto.

The Zed doesn't have a fuel filter that can be changed does it? I thought it was integral to the fuel pump and couldn't be serviced/changed?

The Zed doesn't have a fuel filter that can be changed does it? I thought it was integral to the fuel pump and couldn't be serviced/changed?

Yeah, by ditto I meant it doesn't need doing (rather than just not essential) :thumbs:

Yeah, by ditto I meant it doesn't need doing (rather than just not essential) :thumbs:

I gets you skipper ;)

I just paid around £450 for P3, sparks, brake fluid, diff oil, gear box oil. P2/P3's don't include sparks, brake fluid, gear/diff oil.

They do include a brake fluid change - on my service sheet for P2 and P3 its got a big juicy "R" next to "Brake fluid - check for level and leaks", on a P1 its just an "I" for inspect.

They use 1L of brake fluid which costs £7. God knows what the quality of that is!

Fuel filter every 36k

Really? :wacko:

Ah - missed this caviat on the service sheet:

"Maintenance free on 350z" :blush:

;) It took me a bit of research when I was preparing for the service........can't understand why you just wouldn't stick an 8 quid replaceable filter on it myself - thats Nissan for you though!

They do include a brake fluid change - on my service sheet for P2 and P3 its got a big juicy "R" next to "Brake fluid - check for level and leaks", on a P1 its just an "I" for inspect.

They use 1L of brake fluid which costs £7. God knows what the quality of that is!

Fair play.......I'm sure my local Nissan dealer said it wasn't but in honesty I wouldn't put them in charge of a can of baked beans never mind a 350!

Fair play.......I'm sure my local Nissan dealer said it wasn't but in honesty I wouldn't put them in charge of a can of baked beans never mind a 350!

When my service comes round I'm going to provide them with 1.5L of Motul RBF600, they better not balls it up!

Incorrect I'm afraid - according to the schedule for the 350z on page 18/19 of the service booklet it just has an "I" next to brake fluid for all 3 services. Brake fluid changes are under the additional service items at additional cost to the right side. I think you're looking at the wrong checklist ;)

post-1642-135011909309_thumb.jpg

(unless you have a service sheet from somewhere else?)

Mine will need a service towards the end of this year, bizarrely it is one year behind on the servicing as the car sat in a garage under wraps for 16 months of the first 24 months of its life - the first owner was a naval officer who soon after buying it got shipped off to the Gulf or something.

I am I have to say, utterly confused at the whole P2 vs P3 thing. Personally I would prefer my dad do the servicing (having worked on super cars through to minis through to articulated lorries for 45 years) but that doesn't look good on a service stamp, even though the Nissan dealers mechanics are not fit to buff his boots I will still have to go with them if I want to sell it further down the line :thumbdown:

Personally I would prefer my dad do the servicing (having worked on super cars through to minis through to articulated lorries for 45 years) but that doesn't look good on a service stamp, even though the Nissan dealers mechanics are not fit to buff his boots I will still have to go with them if I want to sell it further down the line :thumbdown:

I don't see any reason to use Nissan anymore. I've just done a P2 on mine myself - the prices are so far down now that it's going to make naff all difference to resale value having a Nissan stamp (bearing in mind most of them don't know what they're doing) if you sell to someone knowledgeable about cars. Mine is all documented for any prospective purchaser. I reckon the money I save not paying Nissan will more than cover any shortfall in resale value (and I can give any buyer plenty of examples documented on here of Nissan making the car worse when supposedly servicing it).

At the end of the day, anybody with a mate in the trade (or expertise in Photoshop) can get a stamp in a book - it doesn't prove anything was actually done. All Nissan do is change the oil and filter and charge you through the nose for it.

Incorrect I'm afraid - according to the schedule for the 350z on page 18/19 of the service booklet it just has an "I" next to brake fluid for all 3 services. Brake fluid changes are under the additional service items at additional cost to the right side. I think you're looking at the wrong checklist ;)

[attachment=1]service book.jpg[/attachment]

(unless you have a service sheet from somewhere else?)

Maybe they've updated the service sheet? This one is from my last service, plus on the invoice I have a payment for 1L of brake fluid, so I'm assuming they've changed the brake fluid and not just topped it up.

Edit: It's not in the additional service items area any more. I reckon people weren't changing the fluid so as a safety issue they moved it from additional to mandatory.

The usual service period is 9000 miles or 12 months, whatever is sooner.

So it looks like the owner skipped 2007 because of the low mileage which is a bit naughty.

Whoever owned it also went 17 months from 2005 to 2006, however, I spoke to the Nissan dealership about this and they weren't really concerned about people like myself who do well under 3k miles a year having it serviced every couple of years, what they don't like are people that do say 15k between services, so I just get a P3 every 2 years :shrug: .

Pete