Help please very sick Z!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

multiple missfire could be oil in the plug holes caused by rocker gasket seals (common problem). the problem with main dealers is they will never give you a deffinitive answer :thumbdown:

A leaking RC gasket will not cause the oil to go into the spark plug aperture on a VQ35DE however failure of a pencil coil oil seal will. :thumbs:

Guys,

A compression check and cylinder leakage test will not provide any infomation on the oil control rings. These will only give feedback on the condition on the valves/seats/cylinder head gasket sealing/top piston rings.

You can look down the bores with an endescope to inspect the cylinder bores but nothing other than stripping the motor will let you inspect the oil control rings.

£200 for a compression test :scare:
Lexx this included a cylinder leakage test which I hope included checking the vlave clearances so £200-00 is a reasonable amount in my eyes.

If the car has a lower compression I wonder what the cylinder leakage was on that cylinder?

It does seem we are seeing a lot of DE (276bhp) that are burning oil as of late.

Mark

Guys,

A compression check and cylinder leakage test will not provide any infomation on the oil control rings. These will only give feedback on the condition on the valves/seats/cylinder head gasket sealing/top piston rings.

You can look down the bores with an endescope to inspect the cylinder bores but nothing other than stripping the motor will let you inspect the oil control rings.

£200 for a compression test :scare:
Lexx this included a cylinder leakage test which I hope included checking the vlave clearances so £200-00 is a reasonable amount in my eyes.

If the car has a lower compression I wonder what the cylinder leakage was on that cylinder?

It does seem we are seeing a lot of DE (276bhp) that are burning oil as of late.

Mark

Mark,

The engine is already stripped.

Agree £200.00 is a fair price for a cyl. leakage test.

Alex.

multiple missfire could be oil in the plug holes caused by rocker gasket seals (common problem). the problem with main dealers is they will never give you a deffinitive answer :thumbdown:

A leaking RC gasket will not cause the oil to go into the spark plug aperture on a VQ35DE however failure of a pencil coil oil seal will. :thumbs:

thats what i ment :lol:

thats what i ment :lol:

Okay, I will let you off this time as you are newbie ;):lol::lol::lol:

Ok in a nut shell with hind sight I should of joined this forum sooner :doh: some great advise on here :thumbs:

Had a quick run down to RS Tuning, Paul thought it a bit excessive by Nissan again with hind sight.......he advised to get a replacement engine, ebay showing £2k from a cat b damage car, I found a refurb engine through a company called Ideal Engines, £1.7k, 6 month warranty free delivery, but Nissan (can you believe it) have come up with a 26k engine from company called Just Nissan based in Leicester, £1.1k, £70 delivery with sump damage, as my original sump is ok, should be, fingers crossed, straight forward swap of sumps, Nissan now saying bill should be about £2-£2.1k all in including spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, fitting etc..

Take their engine then. If they instal it they should warranty it, as they supplied it. If you supply your own engine and it goes pop, you'll have the same situation, and bill, all over again.

Also keep your old engine to sell on and get some money back (or rebuild it with trick parts for a later swap :D )

S/H engine normally means if you fit it and it is no good they say giv eit back and we will swap it over , you still have to pay for the labour.

I always worry about a S/H engine from a damaged car, if the car was rolled maybe it was left running why upside down. I always like to listten to a motor before buying it. But that my opinon.

Good luck.

I do think you might be a lot of headache going down that route, it might just pay off in the end but it's a bit of a gamble. Was looking to get a new gearbox from the UK with Warranty (Great I thought) Only thing is that I'd need to get the damn thing back out of the car (cost) and shipped back to the seller (cost) they'd check it and approve or not approve the warranty, if the latter then... well need to get a new gearbox somewhere and do it all over again... They'd only warrant it if it was installed by approved garage and reset etc etc etc... so IMO you need to source an engine from a reputable place, best bet is to actually hear or see it but that might be hard, so you pick a reputable place that'll stand over it. I'd still get that car out of there.

^ This is only IMO ;)

If Nissan are supplying the used engine then the onus is totally on them, labour as well.

If the engine is fooked then that is Nissans' problem and not yours.

You of course will require a warranty from Nissan for parts and labour.

Providing you do not get involved with the supply of the engine and you pay Nissan for the engine, labour and parts and everything is done in house then your contract is with Nissan.

Make Nissan aware of how you understand this.

Happy days, at £2000.00 inclusive, I would say buy it :thumbs:

Alex. :)

£2000 doesnt sound bad at all to be honest. I blew the gearbox up on my Yamaha R1 last year and the local garage wanted not far off £2000 to fix it all. In the end I bought a very very low mileage complete engine / gearbox off ebay for £400 and fitted it myself in a morning.

I phoned Just Nissan (if you googgle them they sell used and new Nissan parts), based in Bolton, and basically the engine is out of a Z that hit a post hence damage to the sump, last time it was started was when the car was first brought in and it's unable to be started up at the moment mmmmm....they are able to give a 3 month warranty on the engine but if it needs returning 25% charge about £250 if it doesn't work, they were going to send some photos over of the engine.....still waiting.....and I'd have to pay for it and Nissan Leeds charge for fitting + ancillaries, only these would be under a Nissan warranty!!!! Think I'll give this one a miss!

We wont supply and fit S/H engine because the the unknown history from a damaged car.

If the customer wants a S/H motor fitted he buys it the onus is on him. You cant warranty S/H motors espec if you havent heard them running.

Have your motor rebuilt , then it will be fully warrantied and you know you have had a good job done.

If anyone one supplies parts to garage and they fit them, it will be the garage's problem if the parts go faulty.

This even applies if you were to give a garage a set of plugs to fit and later develop a missfire persay, it is still the garage's responsibility to replace them. Its the law.

So even if you were to give Nissan an engine yourself, they would still be under obligation if a problem arrose.

If Nissan are going to supplt an engine you will be fine.

If anyone one supplies parts to garage and they fit them, it will be the garage's problem if the parts go faulty.

This even applies if you were to give a garage a set of plugs to fit and later develop a missfire persay, it is still the garage's responsibility to replace them. Its the law.

So even if you were to give Nissan an engine yourself, they would still be under obligation if a problem arrose.

Really where did you get this information from?

So you supply a set of spark plugs to us to fit and one of these plugs goes faulty , it is our problem? Maybe if they where fitted wrongly to cause damage to cause the problem but if they where fitted 100% correctly it isnt our peoblem as we didnt supply the spark plug. But if we supplied the part yes we would repace the part free of charge.

im with Mark here... i cant see how its the garages responsibility to replace parts that were supplied by you if its the parts that are faulty.

i would either have my motor professionally rebuilt or find a mate who knows what hes doing and for the price of a good night out have him help you rebuild it yourself. nothing like the sense of satisfaction of fixing it all yourself plus you KNOW how its been put together

hope it all works out for you but i wouldnt buy a second hand engine i couldnt hear running... what your saying about the current block is that even if it doesnt work it will cost you £250... i could go into business selling broken engines that i will get given back to me an still earn £250 each time... i dont think i could sleep at night but i would be making money!

You're kidding! If someone supplies there own motorcycle parts to me and they are wrong or faulty it's their problem not mine.

Very strange statement.

Really where did you get this information from?

So you supply a set of spark plugs to us to fit and one of these plugs goes faulty , it is our problem? Maybe if they where fitted wrongly to cause damage to cause the problem but if they where fitted 100% correctly it isnt our peoblem as we didnt supply the spark plug. But if we supplied the part yes we would repace the part free of charge.

If I remember correctly it was an article in aftermarket magazine and I agree it does seem a bit strange.

However it is down to consumer rights and if you exept the job in effect you have to stand by it.

Came across it as I get asked to do a lot of jobs on 2nd hand gear, and I was talking to a mate who owns a garage

who had read the article.

I would not put my morgage on that statement :)

You're kidding! If someone supplies there own motorcycle parts to me and they are wrong or faulty it's their problem not mine.

Very strange statement.

No apparently your responsible, consumer rights law.

If you exept the job and use the parts, apparently you have to stand by the work. I was a bit suprised myself but hey check it out.

No apparently your responsible, consumer rights law.

If you exept the job and use the parts, apparently you have to stand by the work. I was a bit suprised myself but hey check it out.

Give us a link then! I'm calling BS on it though. :)