International Couriers???

Beau

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying a set of wheels from the US from a member of my family.

The only problem know is does anywone know a good shipping company for US to the UK.....?

It will be for 4 4x4 wheels with tyres.

Thanks, Beau

Why dont you talk to Tarmac re shipping?

+1

Good idea, I will give him a PM.

Also, I just realised a container would cost about £1000 and I could get loads of stuff from the US in there and save on fees ect.

don't want to put a downer on things (and no doubt you already know this) but you will get heavily stuffed on VAT and import duty. I buy lots from the States and whilst a couple of years ago things used to slip into the country without being molested now EVERYTHING get's pawed at by customs and charges slapped on :(

It may well still be cheaper than buying from within the UK but it's best to be prepared for it.

S.

don't want to put a downer on things (and no doubt you already know this) but you will get heavily stuffed on VAT and import duty. I buy lots from the States and whilst a couple of years ago things used to slip into the country without being molested now EVERYTHING get's pawed at by customs and charges slapped on :(

It may well still be cheaper than buying from within the UK but it's best to be prepared for it.

S.

Yes, I am aware of this. One thing I will be doing is just lowering the cost of the goods, and there are certain brackets you can place your items in which will vary in import duty.

All together though, they do rip you off.

Does anyone know how things work if you were to tranfer goods using a container? I believe a full size container cost about £1000 which is not bad when dhl quoting me nearly half of that to ship 4 wheels alone.

Last time we brought a container in from CA it was about £1600 but you don't get away with 'fees' just because it's in a container. Customs will open them at random so shipping agents don't take risks and therefor declare what's in there.

Now, if your wheels happened to be in the boot of a car and the lock didn't work so the boot couldn't be opened ........

Last time we brought a container in from CA it was about £1600 but you don't get away with 'fees' just because it's in a container. Customs will open them at random so shipping agents don't take risks and therefor declare what's in there.

Now, if your wheels happened to be in the boot of a car and the lock didn't work so the boot couldn't be opened ........

Well, if I pack the container full, both end they cant take out everything and search the whole container, can they?

And what sort of fees are there?

Well, if I pack the container full, both end they cant take out everything and search the whole container, can they?

Customs can do what they want, literally ! If they want to send a king charles spaniel up your backside looking for a supercharger they will!

Fees will be duty (on the goods) (variable depending on what you ship) and VAT on the shipping and duty (oh yes, they even charge you on their taxes!!)

You will be surprised just how vigorous they can be..

Without wanting to sound like a know it all, but I am errr a know it all when it comes to customs, airfreight, dog lines, decompression units, xray machines, DFT, vat/duty/admin/handling charges.

I also know a lot of consultants and trainers in this field and I can tell you one of the big name players has just had half it's uk organisation shut down and set for a hefty fine. If it's a container then I'm assuming it's sea freight not air freight. The uk is on the highest terror alert in Europe - threat is imminent. So customs are over everything like a rash.

The lads doing shipping from Japan told me that its normal to plug the car full with other gear. He just didnt mention that they get swiped by 'someone' mostly at port or before leaving port. I wouldnt stick stuff in the car that's easy to take out. Any insurance I had didn't cover loss unless it was total loss so no good trying to claim etc a satnav etc.