New member and new car

I'll obviously be having words with the dealer tomorrow about this - is it normal for a car to be manufactured and then hang around for at least 2 years before its registered? I'll be looking for some answers to this.

I've just had a look on the DVLA website and did a vehicle enquiry - Year of Manufacture is recorded as 2009. It looks like this car is a bit of an enigma

It's certainly unusual but not completely unknown for a car to sit around for a year or even two. There are a number of possibilities, an unregistered car from Ireland, Channel Islands or The Isle of Man or it could be that the dealer decided to leave it on show or couldn't sell it. Seems very strange though as Nissan had a load of end of run 313's that they sold off in the middle of 2008 and these sold very quickly as they knocked the price down to £22k or so. One thing's for sure though you can't put an 09 plate on unless the car was first registered in 2009 or later and that includes imports so I don't see a problem there.

Pete

I'll obviously be having words with the dealer tomorrow about this - is it normal for a car to be manufactured and then hang around for at least 2 years before its registered?

We have had the odd on with that scenario on here, but very few and far between.

Welcome and good luck sorting out what you are looking at.

Update - I've just had a look on the DVLA website and did a vehicle enquiry - Year of Manufacture is recorded as 2009. It looks like this car is a bit of an enigma

Sales of the Z almost halved in 2008 and they switched to making the 370Z. Quite a few late cars have GT4 wheels as well as stocks of the regular wheels dried up.

2007 ~900 sold

2008 ~500 sold

2009 ~200 sold

Who has confirmed the year of manufacture? last time i looked at a v5, it only states date of first registration. As has been mentioned, nice looking car but make sure you know exactly what you are buying before competing the purchase. Let us all know how you got on.

If the year of manufacture is 2009, I dont see how it can be fitted with a DE engine.

Unless it has been in an accident, and required a new engine.

Its probably a 296, but just not registered until 2009.

Update time.

I contacted the dealer and we've got to the bottom of the engine anomaly - its been imported from Ireland, hence the late registration date, which I think a couple of you suggested. He wansn't able to get a proper look over the car as it was at the body shop getting the minor paintwork issues I spotted sorted. In his conversation over the phone with the bodyshop he was able to confirm it was a 296 engine.

As this new information had come to light he explained that he totally understood if I wanted to pull out of the deal and he'd refund the deposit that had been taken if I wanted to do so.

So weighing things up, we've established its a pre 2007 car registered in 2009 (DVLA has 2009 as manufatured date too).

Looking at the advantages -

It only has just over 8000 miles on the clock.

It doesn't need an MOT until next year.

The interior and exterior will be mint.

It'll have a 12 month warranty.

The dealer is 6 miles down the road from me.

It's a bit different from most of the other zeds out there.

The dealer has been the honest and straight with me throughout the process.

Also I know I got a good deal as the sales director had misunderstood the discount I'd negotiated and embarrasingly asked for another £250 from me to break even on the deal after I'd shaken on it with the sales manager and they'd taken the deposit - obviously I refused and the original deal has gone ahead.

So basically I'm happy with the deal again and I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages - basically I think I'll be struggling to find another zed as good as this and I plan on keeping it for a long time, so resale value will not mean much once I'm done with it.

So - if anyone here thinks I'm mad then please speak now or forever hold your peace. :clap:

Update time ..............

So - if anyone here thinks I'm mad then please speak now or forever hold your peace. :clap:

You're MAD .................................................

No not really ................................ GLWTS

:thumbs: