Bloody Locking Wheel Nuts

Dicky

Most will be aware of this problem but some may get benefit from my experience.

Make sure you put a little copper slip/other on the radiused surface and thread of your locking wheel nuts and the normal wheel nuts. If not they can be over tightened by those pneumatic guns they use in garages and tyre companies and are almost impossible to get off :angry: .

Had new tyres fitted to the wife’s car a couple of months ago and when I put it in to have the brake pads changed the garage couldn’t get the locking wheel nuts off because they were jammed on. The locking wheel nut socket was becoming worn and they thought they may have to cut the wheels off :scare: . I took the car back to the tyre company who spent an hour struggling but finally got them off (they said it was touch and go)

I’ve since removed wheel nuts from both our cars and applied the grease, in fact Ive left the locking studs off her car as there so scuffed no one would be bothered to nick them anyway.

I though they stopped tightening with "windys" as it can crack nuts over tighten etc.

The place I get my tyres take them off with an air gun then loosely put them back on and go round with a torque wrench .

Thanks for the tip though :thumbs:

I though they stopped tightening with "windys" as it can crack nuts over tighten etc.

The place I get my tyres take them off with an air gun then loosely put them back on and go round with a torque wrench .

Unfortunately there are still those who can’t be bothered to do all that and continue to use the windy guns as they require less effort.

Unfortunately there are still those who can’t be bothered to do all that and continue to use the windy guns as they require less effort.

i bolloxed my tyre fitter the other day for doing that, made him go back and torque them up.